Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 737 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2021, 06:11 PM   #556
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I'm pretty amazed, my two pentax K3 batteries are about 6 years old, still holding a good charge.
I have heard that the average battery lasts 500 charges.
I charge mine fewer than every week on average, so I expect them to last ten years each on average,
and I would expect that for the K-3iii if I followed that pattern also if I could figure out how to fit it into my budget.

Last edited by reh321; 04-13-2021 at 06:22 PM.
04-13-2021, 06:28 PM - 6 Likes   #557
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This just my opinion about batteries, but I'm really shocked by how many people buy the third party batteries. I think more people should consider buying the official batteries rather than the third party equivalents. For two reasons:
1. It supports the brand better (more about that below)
2. Their performance seems to be a little better, and they are guaranteed to work safely. For example, Ricoh has a new fast charger available for the K-3 III battery. This must have been tested with the official batteries to ensure safety, but I doubt any testing was done with unofficial batteries.

It's true that the Ricoh accessories can look overpriced, but I think it's best to look at it holistically. Ricoh is supporting camera and lens development for K-mount, which is a rather difficult/marginal business to be in these days. They are not making huge profits, so are they really "overpricing"? Accessories have always been a way for the camera companies to earn some extra profit. Other batteries might seem like better value, but there is value in supporting the company that develops the cameras and lenses we want.

Obviously some people are genuinely hard up and it's a significant difference to them so there is some value in having third party batteries available. But in a lot of cases, people have a choice of whether to support Ricoh (and Pentax) with a purchase or save a few pennies and not support them.
04-13-2021, 06:30 PM   #558
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Is the release date still expected to be 23 April? (The number of posts here are such that I can't find the answer easily.)
Ricoh will inform me of the shipping date - but I'm also travelling shortly afterwards.
Friday April 30 in Australia, though this is a "due" date and subject to the vagaries of shipping. I wouldn't expect to receive my order till late the following week, even though I'm in the same city as the distributor.
04-13-2021, 08:26 PM   #559
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Reading about continuing delays in vehicle manufacturing over chip shortage and wondering if that might slow release of the K3 III
Nooooo.

04-13-2021, 10:10 PM   #560
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Well, while I do think the Pentax batteries are a bit pricey, it's still less than $50usd. As I've never had a problem with one since 2014 when I got back into Pentax, I don't really have a problem with it at that low level of cost, especially with the cost run out over time. And I feel more secure with them---I'm in a position where a battery issue isn't just an inconvenience, but more of a serious problem. And it's a business expense anyway.
Damn you Americans get it easy
The price at Ricoh Aus is $ 114 aus at current exchange rate $ 87 us
04-13-2021, 10:28 PM   #561
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Reading about continuing delays in vehicle manufacturing over chip shortage and wondering if that might slow release of the K3 III
I don't see it being an issue. I work in automotive. The reason Automotive is still being hit so hard is that we don't buy bulk orders. It's never been something auto manufacturers normally do. Consumer electronics companies (computers, gaming, computer parts, cameras etc) order massive bulk quantities for their goods. Automotive is more ad-hoc and rely on a JIT (just in time) manufacturing process. They only order for the week they need and nothing more. Maybe this will change in the quarter, but I don't see that happening either.
04-13-2021, 10:34 PM - 1 Like   #562
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
and for $29 aussie.... I can get 2 batteries and a USB double charger.... Amazon prime.... however... I don't need any.... but.... they do seem to hide from me.....

04-14-2021, 01:16 AM   #563
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
and for $29 aussie.... I can get 2 batteries and a USB double charger.... Amazon prime.... however... I don't need any.... but.... they do seem to hide from me.....
Hi Noel
I am comparing OEM pricing.

Dave
04-14-2021, 02:06 AM   #564
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

70€ in Germany, so about $85... Even before taxes, it comes up to $70.
04-14-2021, 03:11 AM - 2 Likes   #565
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
This just my opinion about batteries, but I'm really shocked by how many people buy the third party batteries. I think more people should consider buying the official batteries rather than the third party equivalents. For two reasons:
2. Their performance seems to be a little better, and they are guaranteed to work safely. For example, Ricoh has a new fast charger available for the K-3 III battery. This must have been tested with the official batteries to ensure safety, but I doubt any testing was done with unofficial batteries.

It's true that the Ricoh accessories can look overpriced, but I think it's best to look at it holistically. Ricoh is supporting camera and lens development for K-mount, which is a rather difficult/marginal business to be in these days. They are not making huge profits, so are they really "overpricing"? Accessories have always been a way for the camera companies to earn some extra profit. Other batteries might seem like better value, but there is value in supporting the company that develops the cameras and lenses we want.

Obviously some people are genuinely hard up and it's a significant difference to them so there is some value in having third party batteries available. But in a lot of cases, people have a choice of whether to support Ricoh (and Pentax) with a purchase or save a few pennies and not support them.
I have bought Watson and Wasabi batteries in the past and both style flaked out pretty quickly. A year or two of use and they stopped holding a charge as well and the off brands did quite poorly in cold weather. Obviously my sample size is pretty small, but I won't buy the off brand batteries any more. They just don't seem to last long enough to make it worthwhile.
04-14-2021, 04:52 AM   #566
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
I don't see it being an issue. I work in automotive. The reason Automotive is still being hit so hard is that we don't buy bulk orders. It's never been something auto manufacturers normally do. Consumer electronics companies (computers, gaming, computer parts, cameras etc) order massive bulk quantities for their goods. Automotive is more ad-hoc and rely on a JIT (just in time) manufacturing process. They only order for the week they need and nothing more. Maybe this will change in the quarter, but I don't see that happening either.
The auto industry has to buy things in bulk, at least in some cases. Toyota sold almost 36,000 RAV-4s a month, even in 2020. If they ordered parts by the week you're looking at enough for 8,000 cars.
04-14-2021, 05:42 AM   #567
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have bought Watson and Wasabi batteries in the past and both style flaked out pretty quickly. A year or two of use and they stopped holding a charge as well and the off brands did quite poorly in cold weather. Obviously my sample size is pretty small, but I won't buy the off brand batteries any more. They just don't seem to last long enough to make it worthwhile.
We should measure time by number of charges, not number of weeks. By that measure, both my “Wasabi” and my “Kastar”
batteries have lasted about 100 by now, exactly the same as my two “Pentax” - the “Wasabi” wouldn’t charge last “80%” on my “Watson” charger, but it cost less than 50% of what a “Pentax” would, and the “”Kastar” cost even less.
I also use the same brands in my Q-7 - where all last the same ...... which Pentax ‘abandoned’ long before I did, so I certainly feel no “guilt” there.

But this thread is supposed to be about the K-3iii.

Last edited by reh321; 04-14-2021 at 05:48 AM.
04-14-2021, 06:49 AM - 4 Likes   #568
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote

As far as performance goes, I've never had a problem with the Wasabi batteries I buy. When I buy things like batteries I make a value judgement and the Wasabi battery was the better value for me. I have six batteries and I rotate their use and charge them as soon as I remove them from the camera.

Having purchased three new cameras and nine new lens from Ricoh/Pentax in the past eight years, I think I have contributed to their bottom line nicely.
04-14-2021, 07:14 AM - 2 Likes   #569
Loyal Site Supporter

Well...consumer goods and food costs, yes. Life costs, not so much.
04-14-2021, 08:24 AM   #570
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Well...consumer goods and food costs, yes. Life costs, not so much.
Who among our non-American members has lines on their pay check for things like "Employee health care: $300.12" and "Employer portion of heath care: $562.25". That's every other week, so annually I pay $7803.12 for heath insurance, and my employer pays $14,618.50. Total of over $22k a year. Or approximately the annual average household income in the Czech Republic or Spain.
Closed Thread