Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2021, 02:44 PM   #601
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The expectation is that a flagship apsc camera five years newer should blast the older one out of the water unless priced a lot lower. The K3-III is unlikely to do that (even if its better in some respects ) Milcs provide a lot of change from dslr which can be sold as improvements. Thats all

04-14-2021, 02:56 PM - 5 Likes   #602
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
The expectation is that a flagship apsc camera five years newer should blast the older one out of the water unless priced a lot lower. The K3-III is unlikely to do that (even if its better in some respects ) Milcs provide a lot of change from dslr which can be sold as improvements. Thats all
Whose expectation? What does it mean, to "blast out of the water"? What are you comparing with? How come we keep hearing about the Great Mirrorless on PentaxForums?

Did the D500 "blast" the D300s "out of the water"? It only had 3x the AF points, 3 extra fps and a few other performance improvements - yet it was more expensive
04-14-2021, 03:04 PM - 3 Likes   #603
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I presume you’re speaking of the more excitable part of the market that simply buys what’s touted as amazing because they need to disguise their lack of talent with the trappings of success? Was that a little harsh?

The problem for the sellers is that the difference between the two species is a once-only opportunity. The never-satisfied crowd will continue to demand more, but there’s precious little more that can be squeezed from the technology as it stands, and the history of disruptors in the photo business is littered with failures, like light-field and 3D cameras. Not that it’s likely to stop the marketers from lining their pockets with the pickings from the gullible.

As for the K-3iii, I’m waiting to see what the less-excitable new owners have to say about it before I declare my K-3 beached.
04-14-2021, 03:10 PM - 3 Likes   #604
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
The D500 MRSP is $2100 CAD.
The K-3 III MRSP is $2500 CAD.
Only ~15% increase, no?
Small increase to afford.
D500 is only 20MP compared to the K-3 III 26MP and more critically why would I buy a D500 these days? Canon has seemingly abandoned OVF. Also, consider Pentax minute market share.
Besides comparing outside the brand, let's compare within the brand - the K-3 III costs the same as a K-1 II, but it appears to me that the K-3 III may top the K-1 in all but format size.
I feel for my full frame brethren who plan to afford the K-1 III, the cost will surely increase respectively.
The D500 came on the european market for 2.300,- €, the K-3 III for 2.000,- €, the X-T4 for 1800,-
This seems like a very reasonable relation. I don't know why it doesn't work in other markets though.

I think we underestimate the fact that some things will be getting more expensive in short time. I was recently at a webinar on cultural tourism and experts expect that prices in this area will rise by 40% after they will be able to open again. This is just a small wheel in the system but other areas will have to follow. For many things less, higher quality products won't be the worst thing. Disposable electronic devices after minimal usage time are just a pain in the a, on so many levels.

Last edited by MMVIII; 04-14-2021 at 03:23 PM.
04-14-2021, 04:11 PM   #605
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whose expectation, and why? These expectations are totally out-of-step with reality.

So, have distractors realized that complaining about having a LCD that doesn't "flip" won't 'sell' - so now you are looking for another 'selling point'??
The K-3iii apparently has very good focusing and graceful High ISO performance - there is no excuse for trying to drive the price down.

Last edited by reh321; 04-14-2021 at 04:16 PM. Reason: first paragraph added
04-14-2021, 04:12 PM - 8 Likes   #606
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
As for the K-3iii, I’m waiting to see what the less-excitable new owners have to say about it before I declare my K-3 beached.
I have to snicker at the difference between Ricoh Imaging's subtle, staid stories and videos and Canon's introductory YouTube video for their developmental R3. Yes, the heart-throbbing Canon video is sure to whip up a frenzy while flashing its "EXPLOSIVE SPEED 30 fps" at 3 seconds in and "MASTER MOVEMENT" with animal-bird-human Eye-AF shown at 10 seconds. Whew.

I prefer to watch Takahashi-san and Wakashiro-san, and read their stories. I guess I'm not a "Wasssssssup UTube?" kinda guy.

- Craig
04-14-2021, 04:14 PM - 16 Likes   #607
Loyal Site Supporter

No, my expectation is the K3 III will be the absolute best platform for the lenses I already own and for the types of photography I do with them.

Whether the D500 is better or worse or the same performance as the new K3 III doesn't matter to me. Nor does it matter that I could buy some MILC for the same money. I'm not interested in Nikon and I'm not interested in using mirrorless (which I tried, a couple of times). I'm not interested in buying for two ecosystems and I'm not interested is selling what I have and reassembling the collection. I AM interested in a camera to use my very good glass with without compromise, one that improves on features significantly from the cameras I own now for wildlife and action and indoor events. Landscape was already well covered by my K-1.

So no matter how many times someone with zero interest in the new Pentax camera tries to convince us we'll be happier spending the money WE earned on not-a-Pentax I'm not interested nor IMO are most others who have decided the same. If you want to spend your money elsewhere I promise not to tell you you're wrong and making a mistake. Please give those of us who are deciding to give the K3 III a shot the same respect.

That's all.

Last edited by gatorguy; 04-14-2021 at 04:28 PM.
04-14-2021, 04:21 PM - 10 Likes   #608
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

We get it. You don't like the the K-3 III in particular, or Pentax in general. Can we move on now?
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
If you want to spend your money elsewhere I promise not to tell you you're wrong and making a mistake. Please give those of us who are deciding to give the K3 III a shot the same respect.
Can I get an "Amen!" on that!
04-14-2021, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #609
Veteran Member

The D500 doesn’t even live up to the K10d in terms of IBIS and weather proofing.

If the K3III matches the D500 AF, it will be twice the camera with all the improvements in IQ, viewfinder and IBIS.
The only remaining advantage is Nikon’s long lens selection.
04-14-2021, 04:37 PM - 5 Likes   #610
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
We get it. You don't like the the K-3 III in particular, or Pentax in general. Can we move on now?
Can I get an "Amen!" on that!
No no no. My ignore list is loving these threads.
04-14-2021, 05:27 PM   #611
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
No no no. My ignore list is loving these threads.
It's hard to follow along when one only gets the replies.
04-14-2021, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #612
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
I am so pleased that Ricoh have stuck with the same battery for all the K-n models (where 'n' is a single digit)
You forgot n = 01 !
04-14-2021, 06:38 PM - 2 Likes   #613
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
You forgot n = 01 !
There’s also the 645D and 645Z that use the same battery!
04-14-2021, 06:42 PM   #614
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Who among our non-American members has lines on their pay check for things like "Employee health care: $300.12" and "Employer portion of heath care: $562.25". That's every other week, so annually I pay $7803.12 for heath insurance, and my employer pays $14,618.50. Total of over $22k a year. Or approximately the annual average household income in the Czech Republic or Spain.
In Australia we do ok on most things other than Housing costs. House prices are 10 times the median (dual) income vs 3 times single income in the 70s (plus huge wage inflation vs decreasing real income)

To actually buy a relatively cheap house and pay it off would take my entire disposable income for the rest of my life.
Its silliness compares to the US health systems, especially when you consider the low population density of Australia.
04-14-2021, 07:19 PM - 2 Likes   #615
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I have to snicker at the difference between Ricoh Imaging's subtle, staid stories and videos and Canon's introductory YouTube video for their developmental R3. Yes, the heart-throbbing Canon video is sure to whip up a frenzy while flashing its "EXPLOSIVE SPEED 30 fps" at 3 seconds in and "MASTER MOVEMENT" with animal-bird-human Eye-AF shown at 10 seconds. Whew.

I prefer to watch Takahashi-san and Wakashiro-san, and read their stories. I guess I'm not a "Wasssssssup UTube?" kinda guy.

- Craig
Well, indeed. YouTube contains everything from the borderline criminal, through the lamentable to the laudable. Its shameless monetising overrides what used to be referred to as common decency, so a conservative (in the non-political sense) firm like Ricoh has to try to compete for attention in the midst of all that flim-flam. I’m sure the R3 will be a great camera for those who want it, but the difference in approach says a lot about the respective target markets, probably more than the companies themselves.
Closed Thread