Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2021, 07:38 AM - 11 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 III manual is available for download (no joke)

Ricoh Imaging published K-3 III Operation Manual.
English and Chinese: Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
Japanese: ????? / ?????? / ???? | RICOH IMAGING

Attached Images

04-01-2021, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
Ricoh Imaging published K-3 III Operation Manual.
English and Chinese: Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
Japanese: ????? / ?????? / ???? | RICOH IMAGING
Downloads for PENTAX K-3 Mark III gives you a lot of other languages!
04-01-2021, 08:40 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope the camera works better than the manual downloads which don't work at all. Says faulty file - not very good start!!
04-01-2021, 08:41 AM   #4

Did anyone find anything about Eye- Focus? I did a quick search - there are 30 mentions of "eye" in the manual, none regarding Eye-Focus. Excellent camera.

04-01-2021, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The link from the 1st message works with no problems.
04-01-2021, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #6
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wooly11 Quote
I hope the camera works better than the manual downloads which don't work at all. Says faulty file - not very good start!!
The link I posted (Ricoh Imaging Co. Ltd.) as well as AfterPentax Mark II's (Ricoh Imaging EU) are working fine for me, no corrupt pdf.
04-01-2021, 09:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh Dear, I have tried two laptops and it would not work with either - must be my security settings me thinks!

04-01-2021, 09:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yay! The link from @kwb has the correct images for the buttons, whereas the one that I bookmarked the other day from the EU site had alphabetic glyphs where most of the buttons should appear in the text.
04-01-2021, 09:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Nice!
04-01-2021, 10:01 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Along the same lines I was curious about how the astrotracer function would work with the O-GPS1. Apparently they are more conservative with it than with the K-3 offering a max tracking time of 80s at a declination of 0 with a 200mm where as the original K-3 had 130s at a declination of 0 with a 200mm.

This likely isn't a problem since I've never gotten those nice pinpoint stars with long glass at anywhere near the recommended times with the K-3 or K-3ii. At 400mm with something along the celestial equator (a declination of 0) the best I've ever managed for nice pinpoint stars was 20s but with the K-3 the spec would indicate that I should be able to do about 65s, so a little less than 1/3 of the theoretical maximum time. Since the K-3iii has better IBIS I would still expect that I could do 20s and possibly even 30s and get the same quality of stars.
04-01-2021, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by belaku Quote
Did anyone find anything about Eye- Focus? I did a quick search - there are 30 mentions of "eye" in the manual, none regarding Eye-Focus. Excellent camera.
It's automatic. Not a function you can turn on or off specifically.
I don't recall which page it is, but they mention to enable subject recognition tracking, you can turn on AF+AE which will use the RGBir (Image Recognition) sensor to feed the subject data to the AF system (face, eye etc).
There's also mention that you must use either Zone AF or Auto AF in AF.C to enable recognition tracking.
04-01-2021, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
It's automatic. Not a function you can turn on or off specifically.
I don't recall which page it is, but they mention to enable subject recognition tracking, you can turn on AF+AE which will use the RGBir (Image Recognition) sensor to feed the subject data to the AF system (face, eye etc).
There's also mention that you must use either Zone AF or Auto AF in AF.C to enable recognition tracking.
Page 62 - Subject Recognition
04-01-2021, 11:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Is interval movie mode really gone? I just used it in my K-3 the other day to make a time lapse.
04-01-2021, 12:25 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Be careful to judge from the manual which features the camera exactly has. There are many omissions to keep the manual small. For example, none of the parameters for the 12 Custom Image finishing tones is mentioned, the new feature how to use AV or TAV for K and M lenses is left out, and indeed Eye-Focus is absent. To give you an impression how compressed this manual is, it has a meager 148 pages compared to the K5-II which has 336 pages with less functions. I consulted the OM EM1X manual lately, it has 686 pages with every single feature documented.

So a huge amount of time and money is spent on research and testing, but many of the features are not documented in the user manual, which in effect means that they don't exist for the average user. It is beyond comprehension what the philosophy is behind such a strategy.
04-01-2021, 12:56 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wooly11 Quote
It worked just fine for me. Sometimes what looks like equipment error is operator error. This appears to be one of those times.