Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2021, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If a person can't see the difference between a Rebel viewfinder and a K3III viewfinder, they need to have their driver's license pulled, they can't see well enough to drive. I can't believe how bad those viewfinders are, and people were willing to spend money on them.
The K-7's OVF (0.92x) was improved to 0.95x with the K-5 before getting to K-3iii levels, and even that older 0.92x finder is several solar systems ahead of the 95% (!) 0.82x (!!!) pentamirror the D5600 (an "enthusiast" model) has, to the point that I would never consider any camera that cuts corners on finder/control layout anymore...

06-28-2021, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #137
Pentaxian

If a person can't see the difference between a Rebel viewfinder and a K3III viewfinder, they need to have their driver's license pulled, they can't see well enough to drive. I can't believe how bad those viewfinders are, and people were willing to spend money on them.
And yet....
06-28-2021, 07:45 AM   #138
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The K-7's OVF (0.92x) was improved to 0.95x with the K-5 before getting to K-3iii levels, and even that older 0.92x finder is several solar systems ahead of the 95% (!) 0.82x (!!!) pentamirror the D5600 (an "enthusiast" model) has, to the point that I would never consider any camera that cuts corners on finder/control layout anymore...
and yet, in film days I was comforted by the fact that actual photo would include a tad more than the viewfinder showed.
I have never put something I cared about in a corner of the photo.
06-28-2021, 08:10 AM - 2 Likes   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have never put something I cared about in a corner of the photo.
And that is precisely why a 100% finder is important; if nothing important should be in the corner of the photo, then something sticking out in there because you couldn't see it is a bother and will likely detract from the image. You can always crop in post but that, again, is a bother.
I cannot understand why someone would prefer to not know exactly their framing... if you want something else in the frame take a step back

06-28-2021, 08:43 AM   #140
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
And yet....
It's amazing what having a famous tennis star can do for your image if they are willing to pimp your product.
It just goes to show that people will believe what they are told to believe rather than what they can see with their own eyes. It's like we want to be gaslighted.
06-28-2021, 09:00 AM   #141
Pentaxian

It's amazing what having a famous tennis star can do for your image if they are willing to pimp your product.
It just goes to show that people will believe what they are told to believe rather than what they can see with their own eyes. It's like we want to be gaslighted.
As I remember it Canon was advertised by Agassi and the winning Formula One car back when they made good use of their silent EF/usm mount.
Why are you so certain that their advertising made a difference?
I made the switch because I liked their AF lenses so much better.
06-28-2021, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #142
Pentaxian

But it's a Canon !

06-29-2021, 07:39 AM   #143
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
And that is precisely why a 100% finder is important; if nothing important should be in the corner of the photo, then something sticking out in there because you couldn't see it is a bother and will likely detract from the image. You can always crop in post but that, again, is a bother.
I cannot understand why someone would prefer to not know exactly their framing... if you want something else in the frame take a step back
Especially with 24mp of pixels, I don’t find cropping out a few of them to be a “bother”.
06-30-2021, 12:33 PM   #144
Pentaxian

Being trained on slides cropping is sort of an admission of oversight
06-30-2021, 12:43 PM   #145
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hongman Quote
I hope Pentax continues to pursue large bright optical viewfinders
That's got my vote too... my "Ladies" like a larger and brighter so that they may display their charms more easily.
06-30-2021, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #146
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Being trained on slides cropping is sort of an admission of oversight
Or freedom to be a tad more 'relaxed' about framing.
I don't know how many slides I rejected because I 'framed' them a tad too tightly.
06-30-2021, 02:09 PM   #147
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Or freedom to be a tad more 'relaxed' about framing.
I don't know how many slides I rejected because I 'framed' them a tad too tightly.
Because almost all the cardboard slide mounts intruded a bit on all 4 sides of the actual frame - so cropped whether or not you wanted it.

Last edited by mlt; 06-30-2021 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Spell check
06-30-2021, 02:14 PM   #148
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Because almost all the cardboard slide mounts intruded a bit on all 4 sides of the actual frame - so cropped whether or not you wanted it.
And not to mention the mis-alignment of within the mounts, coupled with the cardboard edges not holding up well over time that produced a bit of fuzz along the mount inside edges. Ahh, the good old days
07-01-2021, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the only real joy is slides made with the 6x7 projected with a Götschmann
07-01-2021, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #150
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by willdmo Quote
the only real joy is slides made with the 6x7 projected with a Götschmann
In the 60’s and 70’s if you really wanted to impress, then nothing beat an 8x10 Ektachrome on a light box.