Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2021, 03:11 PM   #121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hongman Quote
would not mind the option or availability of a hybrid finder like Fuji too..!
fuji's hybrid viewfinder is good for fixed lens only, such as X100 serial. It does not work well X-PRO, because the optical viewfinder does not zoom with the lens.

I think the real "hybrid VF" should be overlay an LCD screen on the path of OVF. There is a "clear TV" that is clear and transparent when power is off. EVF cuts in only when it is powered on, otherwise it only shows focus point or other information.

06-25-2021, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I hope they will innovate the optical ovf to provide better manual focus.
That's certainly what they did with the K-3 III. In recent years, my eyesight has been an issue, but with the K-3 III I have no problem doing MF.
(I have been prone to mistaking a MF lens for an AF lens and wondering why it didn't focus...)
06-25-2021, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #123
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The idea of a hybrid viewfinder sounds cool, but I wouldn't trade any OVF brightness for it. Ultimately, you buy a DSLR for the OVF experience, so that should be the priority. As far as I know, a hybrid viewfinder is possible now, but it would involve losing some of the light in the OVF, which is why neither Canon, Nikon or Pentax launched a camera like that despite having patents on it.
06-25-2021, 08:40 AM   #124
Pentaxian

But if it was possible to make some sort of split prism overlay for use with manual lenses, I'd be all for it.

06-25-2021, 08:48 AM   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
But if it was possible to make some sort of split prism overlay for use with manual lenses, I'd be all for it.
Pentax has already made the K-3iii easier to use with old lenses, so I would certainly expect them to be considering possibilities to make focusing easier if the cost in usability is not too high.
06-25-2021, 10:22 AM   #126
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The idea of a hybrid viewfinder sounds cool, but I wouldn't trade any OVF brightness for it. Ultimately, you buy a DSLR for the OVF experience, so that should be the priority. As far as I know, a hybrid viewfinder is possible now, but it would involve losing some of the light in the OVF, which is why neither Canon, Nikon or Pentax launched a camera like that despite having patents on it.
Right; the worst move IMO would be to compromise the OVF.
Of course, some of these patents don't require a hybrid viewfinder. If the hybrid viewfinder is too problematic* I'd rather see an OVF only "evolved DSLR".

* Fujifilm combines an EVF with a tunnel type viewfinder, thus very different than what Pentax would have to do. Which means they had to solve different challenges.
06-26-2021, 12:40 PM   #127
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Right; the worst move IMO would be to compromise the OVF.
Of course, some of these patents don't require a hybrid viewfinder. If the hybrid viewfinder is too problematic* I'd rather see an OVF only "evolved DSLR".

* Fujifilm combines an EVF with a tunnel type viewfinder, thus very different than what Pentax would have to do. Which means they had to solve different challenges.
A transparent focus peaking overlay would be nice to see added to the optical viewfinder

06-27-2021, 01:40 PM   #128
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
A transparent focus peaking overlay would be nice to see added to the optical viewfinder
What kind of 'overlay' do you envision??
06-27-2021, 02:43 PM   #129
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
What kind of 'overlay' do you envision??
Just a layer in the finder to show flashing focus peaking outlines. I would think this would require a bit of a cpu upgrade to process the edge detection along with the additional finder addition so I don’t expect this to be a firmware upgrade. More or less just wishful dreaming
06-27-2021, 05:00 PM   #130
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a layer in the finder to show flashing focus peaking outlines
It requires a complete redesign of the camera, because a regular SLR camera does not have an image sensor on the light path to OVF, and the main CMOS is behind the mirror and shutter and does not get any light until shutter releases. So the camera does not have any focus peaking information.
06-27-2021, 07:10 PM   #131
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
It requires a complete redesign of the camera, because a regular SLR camera does not have an image sensor on the light path to OVF, and the main CMOS is behind the mirror and shutter and does not get any light until shutter releases. So the camera does not have any focus peaking information.
I think that it is do-able. If the k3iii can use the iRGB meter sensor for basic pattern recognition, then increasing the iRGB sensor pixel count to around 1 to 2 million pixels could provide the necessary edge detection capability
06-27-2021, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #132
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote

Has anyone figured out how to show off the K-3iii OVF to non-Pentaxians yet? I've handed my camera to a few users of other brands, but it's been hard to get them to really appreciate the difference. Pentax deserves a lot of credit for developing this wonderful pentaprism and viewfinder, but I'm not sure they're going to get all the accolades they deserve.
Buy a used Canon Rebel and then you have a hands on comparison. .
06-27-2021, 07:53 PM   #133
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Buy a used Canon Rebel and then you have a hands on comparison. .
Unless the other body and the k3iii have the same lens attached, they probably won’t say they can notice any difference. Even more fun is to ask them if their other brand of dslr can recognize objects to focus on when not in live view mode
06-27-2021, 08:52 PM - 2 Likes   #134
Loyal Site Supporter

Unless the other body and the k3iii have the same lens attached, they probably won’t say they can notice any difference. Even more fun is to ask them if their other brand of dslr can recognize objects to focus on when not in live view mode
If a person can't see the difference between a Rebel viewfinder and a K3III viewfinder, they need to have their driver's license pulled, they can't see well enough to drive. I can't believe how bad those viewfinders are, and people were willing to spend money on them.
06-27-2021, 09:10 PM   #135
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that it is do-able. If the k3iii can use the iRGB meter sensor for basic pattern recognition, then increasing the iRGB sensor pixel count to around 1 to 2 million pixels could provide the necessary edge detection capability
It might be a solution. But I am afraid the meter sensor does not see color, so the contrasty edge for peaking must be readable in BW pattern.
I am not a fan of focus peaking alone. I never find it to be accurate enough for fast lenses. On mirror-less cameras, I always use focus amplification + peaking for MF. So for me, I prefer a hybrid finder that has the image from CMOS projected to it. So if you need EVF, simply lift the mirror and you use it as a mirror-less.