Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 84 Likes Search this Thread
05-12-2021, 05:03 PM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
A Canon user will never tell you that another brand has done something good
Let's ignore any others, any negativity, better to focus on the strengths, which are plentiful now, and always were, recognised as such or not.

05-12-2021, 05:37 PM   #92

Mind that the improvement is "only" for APS-C shooters as FF shooters already have this kind of OVF experience.
True, but many Pentaxians are ANXIOUSLY awaiting the OVF experience that FF shooters will be enjoying in the future.

It will again be an opportunity for unique differentiation between Pentax and the FF competition.
05-12-2021, 05:43 PM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A Canon user will never tell you that another brand has done something good
Nah, I know one or two Canonites and while both swear by L glass they know full well other brands do an excellent job as well...
05-12-2021, 06:23 PM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The prism in the K-3iii is significantly larger than the one in the K-3ii.
But the mirror is not significantly larger. Pentax only put a magnifying glass between the focus screen and the pentaprism. So the amount of light reflected into the prism is similar, but the image is larger, so must be darker. Maybe Pentax made a new focusing screen to make prism brighter.

05-12-2021, 07:35 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
But the mirror is not significantly larger. Pentax only put a magnifying glass between the focus screen and the pentaprism. So the amount of light reflected into the prism is similar, but the image is larger, so must be darker. Maybe Pentax made a new focusing screen to make prism brighter.
I think every single one of us who has used the K-3 iii will tell you that, even if by some scientific measurement of bright/dark the OVF is now darker, the increase in size certainly makes it seem brighter. I feel like I read something about an adjustment to the focusing screen to improve clarity. I know sometimes under just the wrong light, my K-70 OVF would appear kind of textured. I haven’t run into that yet with the K-3 iii.
05-12-2021, 08:04 PM - 1 Like   #96
Veteran Member

According to Ricoh, the brighter viewfinder image is owing to, in part, a high refractive index glass with lower reflection losses than in conventional prism glass. See the link in post 1 of this thread and also the features page of PENTAX K-3 Mark III - Ricoh, where they state:
QuoteQuote:
This viewfinder also provides an almost 10-percent increase in brightness, thanks to the improved reflectance of the pentaprism, while also assuring a nearly 100-percent field of view.
05-12-2021, 09:23 PM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
hanks to the improved reflectance of the pentaprism,
That must be a BIG improvement of reflection because there are only 2 interfaces in the pentaprism are mirror and others are total internal reflection and are 100%. The improvement makes OVF 10% brighter even after compensating the darken image caused by the magnifying lens .
I still believe some modification on focusing screen might be easier. Just a guess.

Don't take me wrong, I love MF lenses and love bigger viewfinder. I bought Fuji x-t1 over x-pro because the bigger EVF, and olympus em-1 over 5 or 10 mostly because the bigger finder.

05-13-2021, 01:06 AM   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That must be a BIG improvement of reflection because there are only 2 interfaces in the pentaprism are mirror and others are total internal reflection and are 100%. The improvement makes OVF 10% brighter even after compensating the darken image caused by the magnifying lens .
I still believe some modification on focusing screen might be easier. Just a guess.

Don't take me wrong, I love MF lenses and love bigger viewfinder. I bought Fuji x-t1 over x-pro because the bigger EVF, and olympus em-1 over 5 or 10 mostly because the bigger finder.
Two mirrored surfaces are enough to mess brightness up, look at the pentamirrors... (Aight, technically there are 3 surfaces for light rays outside from the center because of the prism being a roof-type, but potayto potahto).

They also removed the transparent LCD layer that shows the focus points. That increases brightness as well.
05-13-2021, 02:16 PM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have a look at the image I included at post #90 above. The final mirrored surface before the eyepiece is no longer semi-silvered to provide for the viewfinder information, which is now introduced by the LCD panel on top of the focussing screen. While there will be some loss incurred by the LCD panel, I imagine that will be less than that from the semi-silvered mirror surface previously used.

You could be right about the focussing screen, too, nonetheless, even though they haven’t talked about it in Ricoh’s discussion about the new system. Reducing the light scatter from the screen is the key to improving the brightness there.
05-13-2021, 05:03 PM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
That's fantastic. It's always good if someone can define his personal needs so well. Keep it up.
Indeed. All these reviews go for the everything a can can hold approach, whereas individuals have their own needs - and might wish their cameras to be geared towards them.
I like a good AF butI don't shoot formula 1.
05-13-2021, 05:14 PM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Indeed. All these reviews go for the everything a can can hold approach, whereas individuals have their own needs - and might wish their cameras to be geared towards them.
I like a good AF butI don't shoot formula 1.
My car has a reported top speed of 215 km/hr, although I mostly use it around town.

Some people relentlessly press the limitations of their requirements, and I have to wonder why saying it so many times seems to be needed. A camera maker has to satisfy a sufficiently broad range of needs to ensure a profit, but over time, and with competition from other makers, that range continues to expand, no matter how small our individual needs might appear after a while.
05-14-2021, 10:29 PM   #102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
My car has a reported top speed of 215 km/hr, although I mostly use it around town.

Some people relentlessly press the limitations of their requirements, and I have to wonder why saying it so many times seems to be needed. A camera maker has to satisfy a sufficiently broad range of needs to ensure a profit, but over time, and with competition from other makers, that range continues to expand, no matter how small our individual needs might appear after a while.
But sometimes more is less, and a tool’s clarity of purpose lost.
I always keep in mind what is indispensable to me and what might be a bonus and what a distraction.
05-15-2021, 04:55 AM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
But sometimes more is less, and a tool’s clarity of purpose lost.
I always keep in mind what is indispensable to me and what might be a bonus and what a distraction.
I think I understand what you mean, but it’s only less if the greater portion interferes with what the photographer is trying to achieve. If you can ignore the distractions, then they don’t matter. That, of course, might be a big “if” for some.

Thus far, I haven’t had anything in my cameras that has detracted from my use of them, but I don’t have the latest in any of the three Pentax formats. Mind you, I keep finding useful things I didn’t know about with the ones I have, often thanks to these pages. Perhaps I’ll find out if/when I get a K-3iii.
05-15-2021, 10:58 PM   #104
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Mind you, I keep finding useful things I didn’t know about with the ones I have, often thanks to these pages.
That's true, I am expecting this myself. The only digital cameras I seriously used were the Sigma DP2 & 3 Merrills, great little things, but they were (delightfully) basic. Had a good menu though. These flagship cameras have so much more, it may take time to find out howe to use it.
Now that I know my kit will be shipped this week - I'm really looking forward to it.
05-16-2021, 02:40 AM   #105
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do wonder if this tech will be scalable to full frame and even 645 cameras. Nicer viewfinders are something that we all benefit from, even if we get used to them over time. Certainly we aren't going back to the MX days -- having auto focus does have its downsides (I still prefer to have it present on my cameras).