Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2021, 05:09 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
In the 60’s and 70’s if you really wanted to impress, then nothing beat an 8x10 Ektachrome on a light box.
If it's about impressions: whenever I walk around with my TLR, I always get a few comments. Invariably.
Never happens with any other old-timer. Only the Rolleiflex (or Microflex).

But the sight of a positive on a lightbox remains magic. And then size matters. 6x4.5 is a real improvement on 24x36mm, but it's the 6x6 or larger that shine.

07-02-2021, 08:09 AM   #152
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
If it's about impressions: whenever I walk around with my TLR, I always get a few comments. Invariably.
Never happens with any other old-timer. Only the Rolleiflex (or Microflex).

But the sight of a positive on a lightbox remains magic. And then size matters. 6x4.5 is a real improvement on 24x36mm, but it's the 6x6 or larger that shine.
But how is it once you figure out how to project it?
My '620' slides - even at that size - always warped a tad, so focus was "iffy", while 35mm was better supported.
07-02-2021, 09:12 AM   #153
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My '620' slides - even at that size - always warped a tad, so focus was "iffy", while 35mm was better supported.
Anything larger than 6x7 was not meant for projection in most cases. Select the image as viewed on a light box/table and then print. Much easier to make a selection from a large format transparency than having to make prints from color negative film first before making the final decision.
07-03-2021, 08:12 AM   #154
Pentaxian

I don't have a projector (yet?).
In fact, when I was shooting 135mm slides I lost my projector and kept on shooting for two years without properly seeing the results.

07-03-2021, 08:17 AM   #155
Pentaxian

I don't have a projector (yet?).
In fact, when I was shooting 135mm slides I lost my projector and kept on shooting for two years without properly seeing the results.
I got rid of my projector around 2006, just about the time I switched to digital and began scanning all my slides {I have purchased several scanners over the years}.
In 2013, my Dad died and I inherited his projector, which I also trashed.
I hate straddling two types of media.
07-04-2021, 05:36 AM   #156
Pentaxian

I hate straddling two types of media.
Then film is probably no good, because, at least in the case of colour, many people shooting film scan their results. Quicker.
Although for B&W I aim to set up a darkroom. Only a tingle of guilt because of the chemicals involved.
07-04-2021, 08:39 AM   #157
Pentaxian

Then film is probably no good, because, at least in the case of colour, many people shooting film scan their results. Quicker.
I still have my scanners.
The last time I shot (color) film, I had the local camera store just develop it, then scanned the frames I wanted.

07-04-2021, 10:17 AM   #158
Loyal Site Supporter

Although for B&W I aim to set up a darkroom. Only a tingle of guilt because of the chemicals involved.
For the most part, B&W chemistry is pretty benign. Mostly sodium salts of some form. Even silver laden fixer is relatively inert because the silver is so tightly bound to the sulfate.
If you are concerned, stick with powdered older formulations, especially developers.
07-04-2021, 12:05 PM   #159
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Used fixer contains enough silver to make recycling viable. This was the case in the eighties before recycling was even a thing. Finding takers might be different in these digital days, though.
07-04-2021, 06:33 PM   #160
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Used fixer contains enough silver to make recycling viable. This was the case in the eighties before recycling was even a thing. Finding takers might be different in these digital days, though.
True, but it isn't viable for a home darkroom user to do silver recovery.
There aren't a whole lot of labs that still do wet development.
07-04-2021, 07:49 PM   #161
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
True, but it isn't viable for a home darkroom user to do silver recovery.
There aren't a whole lot of labs that still do wet development.
Our local camera store develops film as they ‘always’ {as long as I can remember} have
07-04-2021, 08:17 PM   #162

I remember being able to buy silver recovery kits in the 80s.
07-05-2021, 04:01 AM   #163
Pentaxian

My '620' slides - even at that size - always warped a tad, so focus was "iffy"
That will remain an issue no doubt. I know way back that sometimes frames with glass were advocated (at least for 35mm), but that had other downsides, apart from costs, namely the possibility if not likelihood of fungus.
I'm not sure whether a digitalized MF slide would not make the same impression once projected as a real slide would (as long as the post-processing doesn't change the image too aggressively)
07-05-2021, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #164
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I remember being able to buy silver recovery kits in the 80s.
They were a joke. They might have recovered 20% of the dissolved silver at best, and if the fixer was ammonium thiosulfate based rather than sodium thiosulfate based, they didn't work at all. They also introduced a different sort of pollution, and cost more than the cost of the saver They recovered, which was so impure that it had no commercial use, including refining it to pure silver.
Pretty much killing one patient to briefly extend the life of another one.
The only way to do any sort of efficient Silver recovery in the field is by cracking the silver out with large amounts of high amperage electricity.
Even at the present price of silver, I don't think a large commercial lab would have a viable side business doing silver recovery, and there ain't a snowballs chance in hell it would be viable for a small home darkroom user who will produce a few gallons of spent fixer per year.
We did silver recovery because the law told us to, not because we made a profit from it.
It was an expensive cost of business.

---------- Post added Jul 5th, 2021 at 09:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
No it doesn't. It has never been profitable to recover silver from photography. When silver was a few dollars an ounce, it cost more in electricity to recover an ounce of silver.
It's viable the same way burning dollar bills is viable.
07-05-2021, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #165
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So silver recycling was just a way to appear green before it was it thing? My bad. Thanks for the lowdown.