Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 481 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2021, 08:14 AM   #181
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd wonder whether too much automation kills the art of it all, but I guess you can say that of AF, P, etc

04-19-2021, 08:38 AM   #182
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
I'd wonder whether too much automation kills the art of it all, but I guess you can say that of AF, P, etc
Wasn't it photography that killed the art of painting?

Wim

Last edited by Ishpuini; 04-19-2021 at 11:05 PM.
04-19-2021, 08:56 AM   #183
Pentaxian

Some would still think so. There is however a subtle difference between art photos and photos for photographers
04-19-2021, 09:32 AM   #184
Pentaxian

If one chooses photo instead of painting, there is something which can be due preferences. Photo has always been just a photo. Magic in fractions of a second. And photo necessarily is not art. Painting how ever usually is art. Even if it could be also done in fraction of a second. it is not apples to apples or even Apple to dog comparison. A dog or painter could combine both or all of that. Photographer could try to catch it.

04-19-2021, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #185
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobSpain Quote
Given that you use both cameras, APS-C and FF, can I ask you a question? It's regarding wide angle distortion when using wide angle lenses. Going back to the eighties I shot a lot of real estate photography on an LX with a 20mm SMC lens. I now shoot on a K-70 with a 10-20mm Sigma f/3.5 lens. As a point of comparison, to replicate 20mm using FF, I need to set the Sigma lens to about 13mm on the K-70. Although I manage to keep distortion to a minimum in my shots, using the built-in spirit level, I still notice that objects (furniture, etc.) close to the lens seem more distorted than when I used the LX + 20mm. So, do you find that a wide angle lens on a FF such as the K-1 performs better than one on an APS-C camera?
Perspective is the one thing that is format-independent. It only depends on the orientation and position of your camera, plus the field of view of your lens that determines how much the camera will capture of the subject. However, distortion can matter quite a bit, which might explain differences between lenses with the sam field of view.
04-19-2021, 03:49 PM   #186
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cl1352 Quote
Went to YouTube and slowed down the playback to 0.25.. Seems like it can generally track on the face, although I am waiting to see how it will work with a live person.
Check the 4:30 mark in this video
04-19-2021, 04:13 PM - 3 Likes   #187
Veteran Member

Haha... eye control AF..... that would be the end off me..... every photo from that point on would only have the pretty girl in the frame in focus..... "wife trouble focus" would be better name...... or "bad husband exposure"

I'd just have to shoot everything at f16 I guess....

04-19-2021, 04:24 PM - 2 Likes   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
When it passes with flying colors, they will accuse Pentax of specifically designing their AF tracking algorithms to excel at the zig zag bike test, declare the zig zag bike test invalid, and then contrive some other completely unrealistic tracking scenario at which they find a tiny amount of struggle for the K-3 iii and then declare it to be horrible because of that.
Nooo, they'll do the bike test but paint the bike absolute grey (gray for non English spellers ) and spray paint the rider grey too. They need to test the RGB-IR sensor in parallel with the AF tracking.
04-19-2021, 06:56 PM   #189
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This thread has me exercising the AF.C and expanded area AF on my K-1. It did well with the DFA 70-210 wide open in dusky light - I can't wait to see how SAFOX 13 compares to SAFOX 12.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
04-19-2021, 10:37 PM   #190
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It does seem less awkward than finding - and moving - a 'joystick' around .... but this thread is about what Pentax does, not about what Canon does.
As always when automatic systems will take decisions some will like it, some not. I assume (can't more without ever having tried it) that it would make me crazy if the AF point would follow the eyes pupil while looking through the viewfinder undiscriminating. If I do control the framing of a shot I dont want to have the focus follow that. Same for looking at the viewfinder info lcd line etc...
04-20-2021, 01:05 AM   #191
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Perspective is the one thing that is format-independent. It only depends on the orientation and position of your camera, plus the field of view of your lens that determines how much the camera will capture of the subject. However, distortion can matter quite a bit, which might explain differences between lenses with the sam field of view.
Thanks for that! It was "...Perspective is the one thing that is format-independent." that I wasn't sure about.
04-20-2021, 01:08 AM   #192
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
As always when automatic systems will take decisions some will like it, some not. I assume (can't more without ever having tried it) that it would make me crazy if the AF point would follow the eyes pupil while looking through the viewfinder undiscriminating. If I do control the framing of a shot I dont want to have the focus follow that. Same for looking at the viewfinder info lcd line etc...
Absolutely, I can't imagine the madness this would be.
04-20-2021, 01:16 AM   #193
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Check the 4:30 mark in this video
PENTAX K-3 Mark III ?Impressions? Jin Qi - YouTube
This is fantastic, yup. Even DPR are gonna have to concede that the camera has working AF now
04-20-2021, 03:38 AM   #194
Pentaxian

There are many feedback on the K-3III's AF.C. It's a great improvement over the previous models. I just hope the technology will be used in all future models. Maybe Pentax can attract new users.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 04-21-2021 at 03:54 AM.
04-20-2021, 04:20 AM   #195
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Wasn't it photography that killed the art of painting?

Wim
No. Photography freed up painting to explore whole new methods of expression. No longer stuck to portrait and still life painting. There would be no impressionism etc without photography. This is my premise and I am sticking to it.