Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 481 Likes Search this Thread
04-20-2021, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
No. Photography freed up painting to explore whole new methods of expression. No longer stuck to portrait and still life painting. There would be no impressionism etc without photography. This is my premise and I am sticking to it.
Of course, that's how it turned out. And a good thing too if you ask me.
I was referring to the feeling among the conservative in the art world when photography was introduced in the 19th century, when it "threatened" to put portrait painters out of work.

Wim

04-20-2021, 04:49 AM   #197

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Of course, that's how it turned out. And a good thing too if you ask me.
I was referring to the feeling among the conservative in the art world when photography was introduced in the 19th century, when it "threatened" to put portrait painters out of work.

Wim
It pretty much did.
04-20-2021, 07:33 AM   #198
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just like CDs did not entirely crush vinyl (which in fact now has more sales than CDs again, because the majority is streaming), the use will evolve, and perhaps become more of an appreciated art and niche. That can be a good thing.
04-20-2021, 07:35 AM   #199
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
This is fantastic, yup. Even DPR are gonna have to concede that the camera has working AF now
They'll find a way not to.

04-20-2021, 08:18 AM - 2 Likes   #200
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
They'll find a way not to.
"Pentax claims their AF works in light as low as EV-4. We decided to check this by shooting the bicycle test at night. With no light. Or bicycle.
We couldn't get even one usable picture, that's terribly disappointing and a huge step back from the previous cameras"
04-20-2021, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #201
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
"Pentax claims their AF works in light as low as EV-4. We decided to check this by shooting the bicycle test at night. With no light. Or bicycle.
We couldn't get even one usable picture, that's terribly disappointing and a huge step back from the previous cameras"
"Furthermore, we found that the camera failed to read our minds and focus when we thought about it focusing without pushing any buttons."
04-20-2021, 12:05 PM - 2 Likes   #202
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
"Furthermore, we found that the camera failed to read our minds and focus when we thought about it focusing without pushing any buttons."
We are joking, but in the Nikon D500 bicycle test over there I zoomed in on the head and no picture was in focus. Still they praised it (there is no doubt about its capabilities) because it chose the more contrasty shirt for initial focus and brillantly followed it in the whole sequence. Technically right (and fair enough to make their point on the AFC), but I would not have wanted that and maybe this was a perfect example of the traps inherent in automatisms.

Last edited by MMVIII; 04-20-2021 at 12:12 PM. Reason: brushed up my vocabulary, at least hope so
04-20-2021, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #203

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
We are joking, but in the Nikon D500 bicycle test over there I zoomed in on the head and no picture was in focus. Still they praised it (there is no doubt about its capabilities) because it chose the more contrasty shirt for initial focus and brillantly followed it in the whole sequence. Technically right (and fair enough to make their point on the AFC), but I would not have wanted that and maybe this was a perfect example of the traps inherent in automatisms.
Based on the very limited glimpses / comments provided by a few of the ambassadors... there is reason to believe that the K3 III bicycle performance will approach that of the D500. And with the added benefit of eye detection it may do very well for desired outcome provided that at least an eye is visible. Of course that might not deliver quite the same level of focus performance on the actual print of the shirt (ouch, another chance for demerit), or if they choose to place googles on the rider or perhaps even blindfold the rider completely.
04-20-2021, 12:25 PM   #204
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Or perhaps an example of poor testing.
04-20-2021, 05:36 PM   #205

AF-C hasn’t been usable at high school basketball games with guys running toward me.
I am so looking forward to this.
04-20-2021, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #206
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SportsDudeJeff Quote
AF-C hasn’t been usable at high school basketball games with guys running toward me.
I am so looking forward to this.
It will be interesting to see how tracking an oncoming target works. Panning left and right is no problem now. I was very interested to see the images posted in the Mike Muizebelt impression video @ 4:00 - I've suffered so many lost images as a result of back focus, lost focus, inability to regain focus during situations like that. That was walking speed, will it work at running speeds too?
04-20-2021, 05:50 PM   #207

QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
PENTAX K-3 Mark III - Eye-AF tracking Test (preliminary) with DFA*70-200mm F2.8 - YouTube
with D-FA* 70-200/2.8
is it me or is the author moving the camera way too erratically?
What the heck?
I think I got motion sickness.
04-20-2021, 11:51 PM   #208

What the heck?
Unit-impulse response.

A sudden change in the coordinate of the point to be focused tells me how long the face/eye recognition SW takes to recognize the new subject position and lock the focus.

The inverse of the time to refocus is the maximum burst rate in case of an erratically moving subject.

If we want to have the worst-case burst rate we should also move the subject distance to the camera: we'll get an additional focus time (and lower burst rate), which is however strongly dependent on the objective implementation (size, motor, f number, focal) and is outside the scope of the test in the video
04-21-2021, 12:05 AM   #209
Veteran Member

If the tracking works like intended (or i should rather say if it works as I think) then I hope to see it in next FF body - next year would be great.
04-21-2021, 12:41 PM   #210
Pentaxian

What the heck?
I don't understand why they did not use a moving person for the test. This still keeps us in suspense