Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2021, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
PENTAX K-3 Mark III - Eye-AF tracking Test (preliminary) with DFA*70-200mm F2.8 - YouTube
with D-FA* 70-200/2.8
is it me or is the author moving the camera way too erratically?
Seems a pointless test, no? He's focussing on a screen, not on a person. Practically everything in the viewfinder is at the same distance. The real test is not following eyes on a 2D picture, but on a 3D person, whereby not just up and down movement is at play but also movement along the Z-axis. This probably gives an idea, but I don't think it is sufficiently representative?

Wim

04-06-2021, 01:09 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Seems a pointless test, no? He's focussing on a screen, not on a person. Practically everything in the viewfinder is at the same distance. The real test is not following eyes on a 2D picture, but on a 3D person, whereby not just up and down movement is at play but also movement along the Z-axis. This probably gives an idea, but I don't think it is sufficiently representative?

Wim
I agree,

But it is still just a machine and this does actually show that it does lock to eye and keep focus there even if camera position is changed. So, what is kind of proven, is that it does find eye and it does do tracking. I suppose that was the point of that too.

We do not know what is firmware at this point. And we should think that it is just goign to get better from there.

04-06-2021, 01:27 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
But it is still just a machine and this does actually show that it does lock to eye and keep focus there even if camera position is changed. So, what is kind of proven, is that it does find eye and it does do tracking. I suppose that was the point of that too.
Yes - it's a strangely pure test, isn't it? - it literally just shows that an object can be tracked without bothering us with details like integration with the focusing mechanism
04-06-2021, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PENTAX K-3 Mark III - Eye-AF tracking Test (preliminary) with DFA*70-200mm F2.8 - YouTube
with D-FA* 70-200/2.8
I got dizzy just watching it!

04-06-2021, 05:37 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Forum Member

with D-FA* 70-200/2.8
I already published it on different threads before this one is created
04-06-2021, 09:27 PM - 30 Likes   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Yes - it's a strangely pure test, isn't it? - it literally just shows that an object can be tracked without bothering us with details like integration with the focusing mechanism
Hello mate, that is me. lol
let me introduce my self, I am currently PENTAX KOL at s.korea and working together with RICOH Imaging about K-3 Mark III Test.
Impressions | PENTAX K-3 Mark III | RICOH IMAGING

As stated in description of this video, This test means just eye-recognition speed by AE module.
Why be this video needed, as you know, safox13 works just detecting the distance by phase detection procedure. safox NEVER DO Subject Prediction. This test is strangely pure, but sure.

I'm poor at english so hard to speak long sentence. so please refer to the comments in YouTube for more details, except dishearten messages. : (

ps. more test(i.e.outdoor real person) is hard due to COVID-19. but I'll try as hard as I can for you, for All Pentaxians.
04-06-2021, 09:38 PM - 2 Likes   #22
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by phowon Quote
let me introduce my self, I am currently PENTAX KOL at s.korea and working together with RICOH Imaging about K-3 Mark III Test.

As stated in description of this video, This test means just eye-recognition speed by AE module.
Why be this video needed, as you know, safox13 works just detecting the distance by phase detection procedure. safox NEVER DO Subject Prediction. This test is strangely pure, but sure.

I'm poor at english so hard to speak long sentence. so please refer to the comments in YouTube for more details, except dishearten messages. : (

ps. more test(i.e.outdoor real person) is hard due to COVID-19. but I'll try as hard as I can for you, for All Pentaxians.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums.......now that we know who you are, you can expect many questions.

IM Translator translation

펜탁스 포럼에 오신 것을 환영합니다.... 이제 우리는 당신이 누구인지 알고, 당신은 많은 질문을 기대할 수 있습니다.
04-06-2021, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Thank tou for this test! We are all waiting to see how this will work. You did clearly show that it does and I can feel covid restriction not letting you out to try it through this.

Keep up the good work!

6 Days Ago   #24

Welcome in the pentax community

I see it seems to be working, but camera tracks eye with some kind of latency - it looks as latency at least.
Do you know maybe what is the longest distance between person and camera where eye tracking works?
I think it does depend on selected lens.
6 Days Ago - 7 Likes   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by banangrg Quote
Welcome in the pentax community

I see it seems to be working, but camera tracks eye with some kind of latency - it looks as latency at least.
Do you know maybe what is the longest distance between person and camera where eye tracking works?
I think it does depend on selected lens.
This is very sharp and good question. : D
good.
Now I'm sure Overseas(as a korean) Pentaxian is very clever. especially PentaxForums!

Now I'm answering.

(1) at KAF3,4
latency means AF point to point distance. if subject positioned between AF point and point, SAFOX cannot allocate focus point. so, PRIME V does exception handling which is better AF point. this is latency time.

(2) at KAF1,KAF2(for PZ) - I don't know how KAF2(for SDM) is operated, seems to not equal to KAF3,4. (because of KAF3 patent. I've related patent docsatent No.10-1325588KR)
AF screw backlash is being a serious problem. I don't recommend these lenses for AF-C of K-3 Mark3. of course, has a problem (1),too.

longest distance will be over 50m. (at 450mm, DFA150-450 lens?)
I agree I think it does depend on selected lens, too. KeyPoint will be not distance, but angle of view.
6 Days Ago   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice video - thank you!
6 Days Ago   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
In another thread (This is the Pentax K-3 Mark III - Page 24 - PentaxForums.com) @JPT pointed us to the blog of Yaotomi staff reporting his/her impressions on K-3III, it had a link to K-3III AF-C test but it probably wasn't that conspicuous to those who don't read Japanese. I made a comment in that thread but it was so impressive I thought it deserved its own thread.

Anyway, the direct link is this.
?????? PENTAX K-3III @ review vol.1??? ? ???????AF-C - ????
The train is approaching towards the camera at 100+ km/h (i.e. 62+ mph), he shot a sequence of 18 frames using 55-300 PLM with ~7fps Continuous Shooting (M) mode and Expanded Area AF (S) focus area. Looking at 1:1 crops, there's only one frame that is out of focus.
wow, That's impressive
6 Days Ago   #28
Pentaxian

good.
Now I'm sure Overseas(as a korean) Pentaxian is very clever. especially PentaxForums!

Now I'm answering.

(1) at KAF3,4
latency means AF point to point distance. if subject positioned between AF point and point, SAFOX cannot allocate focus point. so, PRIME V does exception handling which is better AF point. this is latency time.

(2) at KAF1,KAF2(for PZ) - I don't know how KAF2(for SDM) is operated, seems to not equal to KAF3,4. (because of KAF3 patent. I've related patent docsatent No.10-1325588KR)
AF screw backlash is being a serious problem. I don't recommend these lenses for AF-C of K-3 Mark3. of course, has a problem (1),too.

I agree I think it does depend on selected lens, too. KeyPoint will be not distance, but angle of view.
Thank you for your answer Howon! It is great to have you here in PFs!
Your videos are very interesting and I think the eye recognition performance on that 2D image is impressive as your movements are fast and intensive and far from real portrait photography practice. The impressive thing was that the K-3iii recognized and tracked the eye everytime and it does not matter in this case that it is not a real person or the AF Z axis performance. What matters to me is the ability to recognize and lock the girl's eye... Can't wait to see more videos and photos until I get mine in my hands!

Last edited by redpit; 6 Days Ago at 06:39 AM.
6 Days Ago   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

good.

Now I'm answering.

(1) at KAF3,4

That's an interesting comment regarding older screwdrive lenses and AF.C on the new camera. Could I ask you to expand on that?

Are you also saying to avoid the old screwdrive and KAF-2 SDM's for that focus mode? I've seen several images using the K3 III with the DA*300 and assume those were taken using AF-C.

I have an old FA85 that should never be used with AF-C if I read your comment correctly but is fine with AF-S? If there's older lenses we Pentaxians need to be careful with that would be an important point to know.

Last edited by gatorguy; 6 Days Ago at 04:00 AM.
6 Days Ago   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice video, with well reasoned answers. Welcome to the Forum. looking forward to some more videos from you.