Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 481 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2021, 02:10 PM   #421
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Test on a horse starting to gallop : K-3 III + DFA*70-200mm @f/2.8 and 200mm :

12 shots in High burst mode (RAW DNG + JPEG "small")

First & last shots (centered crossed-combined AF-C + full grid + "hold 3" ) :

Successive crops (SOOC taken from JPEGs "small") :
Looks like quite conclusive proof of the camera's AF ability. Very good example.

05-05-2021, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #422
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
My findings are that using AF-H while tracking on Z-axis is that it's always a tad behind, especially with birds. With AF-H off and panning, it will re-focus on anything that comes between you and the subject immediately (even if another subject enters the frame, crossing close to the initial target). So, with unpredictable subjects, having AF-H on when you periodically may lose the subject on the AF points while tracking, the camera will hold the focus distance as that subject is getting closer and closer which makes it harder to re-acquire focus.

Motorsports is a pretty large subject that fills most of the frame, also the aperture and distance as well as length (amount of time) of tracking will all make a difference as well.
I used to always shoot with AF-H on med until a few outings produced OOF shots along the Z-axis. Then I came across the Pentax video about AF-Hold which clearly shows horizontal panning and a tree coming between the camera and subject. So I experimented for a week at a time with each setting along the Z-axis. Just my findings that Z-axis tracking works better with AF-H off. I'm not saying it won't work at all with AF-H on, it can and I've gotten great shots that way as well. But I found that Z-axis tracking works better with AF-H off.
Again, it also depends on other parameters as well. F/8? Close subject/Far Subject? How dead on along the Z-axis? Speed of subject? How long was the tracking time? Everyone has techniques that work for their situation. I'm just explaining my findings and understanding of how it works within Pentax,
I've seemed to have set my K-1 on medium hold, and have struggled with, particularly when shooting my dog running towards me, the subject being ahead of the focus point. The conversation around AF-H was a great reminder to menu dive, and now i'll give it a try in the Off position to compare results. This is a great discussion by all - very informative.
05-05-2021, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #423
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chriswill Quote
Any idea how it actually works? I've watched this video Pentax K-3 III: Eye AF Test (55-300 PLM) - YouTube and was surprised to see the lag of the square (when I actually managed to see the black square at all). Does it show up after the lens focuses (and moves as the lens changes focus) or is it an indication of where the subject's eye is, and shows the active focus point (nearest to the eye) but the actual focusing of the lens isn't really happening there?
It is focusing, actually, her face was in focus also when she did move toward the camera. You have to have AF active to get that working. Then it works so that first it has to detect the target(this case eye) Then it can keep it tracked Both, at X and Y axis. Main thing with that seemed to be that it did manage to find eye and track it. On my K-1 box is where focus is or where it is going to focus. You can also have red confirm box when it is focused, but I’m not sure if that is activated at here.
05-05-2021, 10:40 PM - 1 Like   #424
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So... how good is it followimg a match box size bird through foliage?... you know... proper stuff.

05-05-2021, 11:26 PM - 4 Likes   #425
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
So... how good is it followimg a match box size bird through foliage?... you know... proper stuff.
You mean a bird on a bicycle? In the night? At 400 m distance?

Or proper stuff - that is the bird's eye, in the dark, at 400 m on bicycle.

I'd expect at least a 98% hit rate. For a black bird with black eyes that is.
05-06-2021, 12:32 AM   #426
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Hope this helps!
It sure does! Thanks
05-06-2021, 01:24 AM   #427
Pentaxian

I'd add that the new Wifi on camera is wonderful to send your images to your mobile phone or tablet using ImageSync, works very fast and its amazing to send images on field very quick to a final destination (a website, etc....)

05-06-2021, 01:44 AM   #428

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
It is focusing, actually, her face was in focus also when she did move toward the camera. You have to have AF active to get that working. Then it works so that first it has to detect the target(this case eye) Then it can keep it tracked Both, at X and Y axis. Main thing with that seemed to be that it did manage to find eye and track it. On my K-1 box is where focus is or where it is going to focus. You can also have red confirm box when it is focused, but I’m not sure if that is activated at here.
actually watching it on YT just made me realise it's probably going to be my first Pentax camera I'm not going to buy just based on what I've seen/read online but will need to go and see it myself (which at this price point and the popularity of Pentax at my local camera stores is not going to happen soon
05-06-2021, 02:46 AM   #429
Pentaxian

actually watching it on YT just made me realise it's probably going to be my first Pentax camera I'm not going to buy just based on what I've seen/read online but will need to go and see it myself (which at this price point and the popularity of Pentax at my local camera stores is not going to happen soon

This is too late for me, because I did order it based on the things I'v seen on internet...go figure. But I have possibility to return it, ofcourse, if I find out tha it does not meet the hype.

Propably you will be fine with your existing pentax gear, if you have been happy with it so far.

I'v been lusting after very much improved AF for my pentax, and snappy operation and improved ImageSync/tether(going to get that new image transmitter too) and also that movie SR. I know/hop that it is going to be in next FF also. But that I will buy then, if this is as good as it has been said, and that model will also do so. Can't wait to get max out of my lenses.

---------- Post added 05-06-21 at 12:47 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by red5isalive Quote
I'd add that the new Wifi on camera is wonderful to send your images to your mobile phone or tablet using ImageSync, works very fast and its amazing to send images on field very quick to a final destination (a website, etc....)
Good news! Image sync is not that fast with K-1, atleast it has been working. But now it will be even more useful
05-06-2021, 03:00 AM   #430
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Good news! Image sync is not that fast with K-1, atleast it has been working. But now it will be even more useful
The problem is that the K-1, and all the wireless enabled cameras before the GR III, supports the 802.11b standard at 11Mbs....
05-06-2021, 03:29 AM   #431
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
The problem is that the K-1, and all the wireless enabled cameras before the GR III, supports the 802.11b standard at 11Mbs....
Yes. I should have written: from now on it will be better with K-3III and cameras after that. sorry for misunderstanding.
05-06-2021, 04:08 AM   #432
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
You mean a bird on a bicycle? In the night? At 400 m distance?

Or proper stuff - that is the bird's eye, in the dark, at 400 m on bicycle.

I'd expect at least a 98% hit rate. For a black bird with black eyes that is.
This doesn`t sound so bad, actually. The K-3III has an RGB-Ir metering-sensor and produces both a RGB image and an near-infrared-image. This enhances the capabioities to "see" way beyond what our eyes can discern. Especially near infrared images are used for eye detection and tracking. There is something like the bright pupil effect, which describes the brightening of pupils through reflected directed near-infrared light (similar to the red eyes from flash, where this is an unwanted effect). If you now direct a near infrared flashlight in complete darkness in the direction of the assumed black bird in the dark the camera might be able to recognize the eyes. If you manage to aim the lens on the bird of course.

Last edited by MMVIII; 05-06-2021 at 04:28 AM.
05-06-2021, 04:37 AM   #433
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax as an upscale brand

From all the reports that I can locate, there is universal approval for this newest member of the K3 family. I hope that sales are sufficient to justify all the hard work that went into creating this product. While I do not feel deficient in the Pentax camera body area, I expect to be ordering this soon, as soon as some more in-depth reviews are available.
05-06-2021, 05:06 AM   #434
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is what you read "online" from someone owning and using the camera, or a psuedo-reviewer who's looking at paper specs and making a judgment?
05-06-2021, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #435
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by red5isalive Quote
Great to hear that.