Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Days Ago   #31

Welcome, @phowon! Although I am not a portrait photographer, I watched your impressions video with all the first ones released and really enjoyed your perspective. Since you're the only ambassador I have seen mention tethering, I am hoping you might be able to help out some folks in this thread: Tethering - PentaxForums.com

6 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Thank you for your answer Howon! It is great to have you here in PFs!
Your videos are very interesting and I think the eye recognition performance on that 2D image is impressive as your movements are fast and intensive and far from real portrait photography practise. The impressive thing was that the K-3iii recognized and tracked the eye everytime and it does not matter in this case that it is not a real person or the AF Z axis performance. What matters to me is the ability to recognize and lock the girl's eye... Can't wait to see more videos and photos until I get mine in my hands!
I'm glad for your encouraged comment.
Yes. 100% exactly your comment is what i intended for Youtube video!

---------- Post added 04-08-21 at 06:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Welcome, @phowon! Although I am not a portrait photographer, I watched your impressions video with all the first ones released and really enjoyed your perspective. Since you're the only ambassador I have seen mention tethering, I am hoping you might be able to help out some folks in this thread: Tethering - PentaxForums.com
OK, I answered!

Last edited by phowon; 5 Days Ago at 06:29 AM.
5 Days Ago - 8 Likes   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
That's an interesting comment regarding older screwdrive lenses and AF.C on the new camera. Could I ask you to expand on that?

Are you also saying to avoid the old screwdrive and KAF-2 SDM's for that focus mode? I've seen several images using the K3 III with the DA*300 and assume those were taken using AF-C.

I have an old FA85 that should never be used with AF-C if I read your comment correctly but is fine with AF-S? If there's older lenses we Pentaxians need to be careful with that would be an important point to know.
This is very good and import question!

K-3 Mark3 has very fast AF speed especially more than older camera like my K-1.
but, depend on many lenses, AF speed of that is very different.
if KAF4, that will be ulmost super-speeded. more than Nikon D6 !!! but it is only for Eye-AF by AE tracking. if subject detection is disabled, less than Nikon D6 (because SAFOX13 is less than A.Multi-CAM37K....)
if KAF3, not bad, very fast and good accuracy Eye-AF,too. All Pentaxians will be very glad and satisfied. just not 100% performance of K-3 Mark3.
If KAF2 (for SDM), I don't know because I don't have one. no tested yet. i think it may be good, just not 100% performance of K-3 Mark3.

If KAF1 (means lens doesn't have motor, just camera-AF motor via AF screw), very difficult problem.
Basically, all AF screw has a back-lash problem. except NEW one. this back-lash means damaged AF screw. so, latency is occured when focus position is already changed!!! this means invalid focus.

I know a hint about it. the Back-lask test method:
I think you already know about position of AF screw in KAF Mount.

if you have any Flat-headed screwdriver, you can rotate AF screw using that. (becareful!)
and you must look at focus-distance-mark, remember whether it was moved or not.
if lens focus hasn't be moved immediately although you have already rotated AF screw, this lens has an back-lash problem!

I also have an FA*85 lens. my FA*85.4 lens also has back-lash problem, a little bit.
when far-distance portrait picture, no problem.
but when near-distance, FA*85.4 is often shown invalid focus at AF-C of K-3 Mark3.

The new lens from manufactured time is OK. for exampe, an smc FA Limited lens that made by 2021 years, I'm sure it NEVER has Back-lash problem. because QC/QA of PENTAX is perfect.
but another smc FA Limited lens that made by 1997, it will be needed to check about that.
especially BECAREFUL DAMAGE! it must be make an back-lash problem.

and don't worry mate.
AF-S of K-3 Mark3 has never make any problem by back-lash because of double-checked AF procedure when AF-S is set. of course, AF-S of K-3Mark3 is verrrrrrrry fast, too!
5 Days Ago   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by phowon Quote
This is very good and import question!

K-3 Mark3 has very fast AF speed especially more than older camera like my K-1.
but, depend on many lenses, AF speed of that is very different.
if KAF4, that will be ulmost super-speeded. more than Nikon D6 !!! but it is only for Eye-AF by AE tracking. if subject detection is disabled, less than Nikon D6 (because SAFOX13 is less than A.Multi-CAM37K....)
if KAF3, not bad, very fast and good accuracy Eye-AF,too. All Pentaxians will be very glad and satisfied. just not 100% performance of K-3 Mark3.
If KAF2 (for SDM), I don't know because I don't have one. no tested yet. i think it may be good, just not 100% performance of K-3 Mark3.

If KAF1 (means lens doesn't have motor, just camera-AF motor via AF screw), very difficult problem.
Basically, all AF screw has a back-lash problem. except NEW one. this back-lash means damaged AF screw. so, latency is occured when focus position is already changed!!! this means invalid focus.

I know a hint about it. the Back-lask test method:
I think you already know about position of AF screw in KAF Mount.

if you have any Flat-headed screwdriver, you can rotate AF screw using that. (becareful!)
and you must look at focus-distance-mark, remember whether it was moved or not.
if lens focus hasn't be moved immediately although you have already rotated AF screw, this lens has an back-lash problem!

I also have an FA*85 lens. my FA*85.4 lens also has back-lash problem, a little bit.
when far-distance portrait picture, no problem.
but when near-distance, FA*85.4 is often shown invalid focus at AF-C of K-3 Mark3.

The new lens from manufactured time is OK. for exampe, an smc FA Limited lens that made by 2021 years, I'm sure it NEVER has Back-lash problem. because QC/QA of PENTAX is perfect.
but another smc FA Limited lens that made by 1997, it will be needed to check about that.
especially BECAREFUL DAMAGE! it must be make an back-lash problem.

and don't worry mate.
AF-S of K-3 Mark3 has never make any problem by back-lash because of double-checked AF procedure when AF-S is set. of course, AF-S of K-3Mark3 is verrrrrrrry fast, too!
Great help Phowan!

So those of us looking to take complete advantage of the focus speed should be acquiring KAF4 lenses, while KAF3 will still be very fast and "eye-focus" compatible too.
KAF1 and 2 should only be used with AF-S, and will not offer eye-focus.

Potential motor damage on old screwdrive lenses is going to be a possible pain point for owners not paying attention to what lens they're using and the focus mode. Everyone needs to be made aware of that assuming I understood you correctly. I know the translation between Korean and English is not always perfect.

5 Days Ago   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Potential motor damage on old screwdrive lenses is going to be a possible pain point for owners not paying attention to what lens they're using and the focus mode. Everyone needs to be made aware of that assuming I understood you correctly.
Hm, no! I don't see this interpretation supported by the previous explanation. The mechanical connection of screw drive lenses and the camera lens motor can be inprecise, in the way that the lens does not react to subtle focus changes directly and in a mode where the focus is predicted and the frame is taken without additional focus check this can lead to slightly out of focus images, maybe to a failure to follow the focus in AF-C-sequences at all. These lenses might therefore not be the first choice if AF-C action is seeked, but I don't see any reason to assume they would get damaged! If I understood it correctly, of course.
5 Days Ago   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Hm, no! I don't see this interpretation supported by the previous explanation. The mechanical connection of screw drive lenses and the camera lens motor can be inprecise, in the way that the lens does not react to subtle focus changes directly and in a mode where the focus is predicted and the frame is taken without additional focus check this can lead to slightly out of focus images, maybe to a failure to follow the focus in AF-C-sequences at all. These lenses might therefore not be the first choice if AF-C action is seeked, but I don't see any reason to assume they would get damaged! If I understood it correctly, of course.
Thank you for your advise. Basically I agree.
just if use long long long~~ long time, 10years? 20years? screw get a little bit damage.(maybe?) but just possibility.
so I think you're right. mate!
5 Days Ago   #37
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
but Pentax should produce more KAF4 lenses, simply because they work better than the screw-drive ones do.
5 Days Ago   #38
Pentaxian

just if use long long long~~ long time, 10years? 20years? screw get a little bit damage.(maybe?) but just possibility.
This should be a purely theoretical topic.

The same as it is a fact that the lowest gear 1 of old cars also was designed to have an estimated usage lifespan of a few days maximum.
That sounds bad, but it reality never was an issue since people don't drive 1000 kilometers in gear 1.

5 Days Ago   #39

Great help Phowan!

So those of us looking to take complete advantage of the focus speed should be acquiring KAF4 lenses, while KAF3 will still be very fast and "eye-focus" compatible too.
KAF1 and 2 should only be used with AF-S, and will not offer eye-focus.

Potential motor damage on old screwdrive lenses is going to be a possible pain point for owners not paying attention to what lens they're using and the focus mode. Everyone needs to be made aware of that assuming I understood you correctly. I know the translation between Korean and English is not always perfect.
This damaged, I think, may be an shock causes damaged, for example, fall to the ground! xxxx!!! lol
If you're using preciously your lenses, I think it is OK. but if shocked like fall to the gound many times, this is no good.

and all lenses can be available Eye-AF. (of course KAF1.) just often invalid focused. but if KAF3and4, almost never.
5 Days Ago   #40
Loyal Site Supporter

That's why I mentioned the language barrier. The OP clarified it wasn't so much damage but inconsistency with the screwdrive's AF capabilities.

That's far more comforting, tho I still won't subject my FA85 to AF-C 'just in case". They're already a bit fragile and my otherwise very loving wife who really wants me to be happy in a hobby will go all gremlins if I tell her 'by the way, along with that new $2K camera I'm ordering a $1700 lens". Pretty sure the next big purchase will have to be the master bath remodel she's been hinting at.

.... Wait, is that why she's being so pleasant about the camera?

Last edited by gatorguy; 5 Days Ago at 08:47 AM.
5 Days Ago - 3 Likes   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote

The same as it is a fact that the lowest gear 1 of old cars also was designed to have an estimated usage lifespan of a few days maximum.
That sounds bad, but it reality never was an issue since people don't drive 1000 kilometers in gear 1.
wow.
You're perfectly right. I agree 100%, mate!
especially linguistic expression, you're great! I need to learn english

---------- Post added 04-08-21 at 08:25 AM ----------

for all Pentaxians, I'm very happy because of your many encouragements.
due to I'm poor at english, I use many hours to write english. so, I don't want, but I may often omit answer. because, I have to do work for my company, my job (I'm an embedded engineer.)
I miss PentaxForums and you. and if you have any immediately questions or suggestion, you can visit, and play with everybody in Korean Pentax-community like here, it is below: http://www.pentaxclub.com of course, I'll come here frequently! I love you mates

Last edited by phowon; 5 Days Ago at 08:31 AM.
5 Days Ago - 1 Like   #42
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

for all Pentaxians, I'm very happy because of your many encouragements.
due to I'm poor at english, I use many hours to write english. so, I don't want, but I may often omit answer. because, I have to do work for my company, my job (I'm an embedded engineer.)
I miss PentaxForums and you. and if you have any immediately questions or suggestion, you can visit, and play with everybody in Korean Pentax-community like here, it is below: http://www.pentaxclub.com of course, I'll come here frequently! I love you mates
Don't worry about English - or even "American".
It is a difficult language to learn - partly because of how it developed.
English actually grew from both German and French, and so sometimes has two words expressing the same thing and one word can often have several meanings.

Continue to visit here, and your English skills will improve {may even have value to you in your work} and we will learn from your experience
{incidentally, I developed embedded software at several times in my career}.
5 Days Ago - 3 Likes   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Don't worry about English - or even "American".
It is a difficult language to learn - partly because of how it developed.
English actually grew from both German and French, and so sometimes has two words expressing the same thing and one word can often have several meanings.

Continue to visit here, and your English skills will improve {may even have value to you in your work} and we will learn from your experience
{incidentally, I developed embedded software at several times in my career}.
Of course I will continue to visit, mate!
Your encouraged comment is impressed and moved in my heart. yes. for my job (i.e. I'm always reading english specification docs for working...lol) english skills is very important.
I promiss I NEVER leave PENTAX. and here.
5 Days Ago   #44
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
A theoretical topic??

What ever happened to "glass is forever"??

Even I am still using a screw-drive Sigma 10-20mm {because I didn't see any reason to purchase the newer version of a lens I don't use very often}
and a FA 28-105mm {because I needed a standard lens where I could control aperture from the lens as my K-30 started to experience "Dark Image Syndrome"}.

I have stated my desire for Pentax to release a 'consumer level' KAF4 standard lens in case I get a K-90 and it too has solenoid issues,
but I don't really expect them to do so, so I will keep the FA lens even if I do purchase a K-90 and retire the K-30 'for good'
{it no longer is backup for the KP and I no longer expect to ever need it}.
5 Days Ago   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax K-3 mark III Review ⋆ Mike Muizebelt Fotografie

Between this video, and the comments made by one of our new members, Phowan, I'm getting more excited by the day. Come on April 29th.....