Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2021, 10:01 PM - 1 Like   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
So .... this thread started with a great title: " AF-C of K3III is impressive".

What really interests me is: how impressive will it be, using a DA*300/4, for BIF and a mix of BIF/low light conditions ?
I know it'll have to wait until the camera becomes available to more users here before we can actually see how "impressive" the AF-C will be (wishful thinking?).

Example: on a hiking tour in the deep forest/bush, you see a very small and well camouflaged Brow Creeper against the tree bark. That small bird moves quite fast while searching for foodstuff. Often times, using the K3, the numbers (camera is set for TAv) go up to ISO3200 to ISO 4000 at 1/1000s !! Of course, there is a lot of resulting grain and at the same time, the camera has a heck of a time to AF on that bird, even in AF-S.
I'm including a sample shot here.
This was shot in AF.S, BTW.

((Mod's: delete the picture if you feel that it has "no business" to be here on this thread))

This is demanding target.

Although I’m also curious of how well that subject tracking will work. The cmfact thatis is hmthere and some videos have show’n nice tracking too, is promising. I find my self trying to shoot birds between or in front of branches quite a bit or leaves ect. Even with bigger targets I’v been struggling, because camera does clearly not recognice the form. And this leads to hunting or need to focus more contrasty areas instead.

04-14-2021, 06:24 AM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I find my self trying to shoot birds between or in front of branches quite a bit or leaves ect. Even with bigger targets I’v been struggling, because camera does clearly not recognice the form. And this leads to hunting or need to focus more contrasty areas instead.
Same with me. Often, I'd like to use a combination of tracking and burst shooting to capture moving wildlife in the moment it's framed in a clear area. The tracking on my KP will often grab onto a passing branch or sapling.
04-14-2021, 07:19 AM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find my self trying to shoot birds between or in front of branches quite.
I am hoping the increase in cross type # and density improves performance in this application. I was really struggling in low light to focus lock a pileated woodpecker with the original K-1.
04-14-2021, 07:32 AM   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Same with me. Often, I'd like to use a combination of tracking and burst shooting to capture moving wildlife in the moment it's framed in a clear area. The tracking on my KP will often grab onto a passing branch or sapling.
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
I am hoping the increase in cross type # and density improves performance in this application. I was really struggling in low light to focus lock a pileated woodpecker with the original K-1.
That new RGBir sensor with nice pile of AF points could be the cure for all of our problems, when it comes to situations like this.

04-14-2021, 07:52 AM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That new RGBir sensor with nice pile of AF points could be the cure for all of our problems, when it comes to situations like this.
Two more weeks....
04-14-2021, 07:58 AM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I think any AF system is going to have a problem distinguishing that subject from the background due to camouflage and low contrast between the two, but should be able to focus on the tree itself. Nevertheless I'm hoping that I'll be able to use something other than centre spot AF with the K3iii. I can't wait to try it out with the DFA 150-450!
I am still hopeful that this new AF module on the K3III will solve some (at least) of the problems with this type of situation. Quite frustrating to see something unusual and not be able to take a good shot at it.
Or, one can realize good focus on the subject, ending up with tons of noise/grain as a result of very high ISO numbers.
04-14-2021, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Or, one can realize good focus on the subject, ending up with tons of noise/grain as a result of very high ISO numbers.
At the very least, the K3/3's improved ISO will help with the noise issue. IME, ISO 3200 is no problem for my KP, and the K3/3 should be better still.

04-14-2021, 08:25 AM   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is demanding target.

Although I’m also curious of how well that subject tracking will work. The cmfact thatis is hmthere and some videos have show’n nice tracking too, is promising. I find my self trying to shoot birds between or in front of branches quite a bit or leaves ect. Even with bigger targets I’v been struggling, because camera does clearly not recognice the form. And this leads to hunting or need to focus more contrasty areas instead.
I agree with that being a difficult situation, even for any type of camera. Again, I am hoping for at least some improvement under those conditions.
If the AF.C can follow the subject, even under low contrast, I'll be happy!

Through branches: also a difficult situation. Often enough I have to use "CIF" (catch-in-focus) which works great, as long as I remember to do it!!

---------- Post added 04-14-21 at 11:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
At the very least, the K3/3's improved ISO will help with the noise issue. IME, ISO 3200 is no problem for my KP, and the K3/3 should be better still.
Yes, apart from the hopefully improved AF, "high" ISO shots on a K3 are noisy/grainy compared with my old K5.
So, if that K3III can match or better your KP in that department, I'll be happy.
04-14-2021, 06:47 PM   #99
Pentaxian

Yes, apart from the hopefully improved AF, "high" ISO shots on a K3 are noisy/grainy compared with my old K5.
So, if that K3III can match or better your KP in that department, I'll be happy.
I expect you to be thrilled
04-14-2021, 07:38 PM   #100
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I am still hopeful that this new AF module on the K3III will solve some (at least) of the problems with this type of situation. Quite frustrating to see something unusual and not be able to take a good shot at it.
Me too! I can't wait to test it.
04-15-2021, 08:26 AM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
The Cross type AF points are the same as in K-3/II and KP at 25. My hope is that coupled with the IR AE meter it just doesn't need more cross type points.
04-15-2021, 01:06 PM   #102
Pentaxian

, you see a very small and well camouflaged Brow Creeper against the tree bark. That small bird moves quite fast while searching for foodstuff. Often times, using the K3, the numbers (camera is set for TAv) go up to ISO3200 to ISO 4000 at 1/1000s !! Of course, there is a lot of resulting grain and at the same time, the camera has a heck of a time to AF on that bird, even in AF-S.

That's a needle in a hay stack kind of picture! But it will be interesting to test AF in real life.
04-15-2021, 01:21 PM   #103
Pentaxian

Example: on a hiking tour in the deep forest/bush, you see a very small and well camouflaged Brow Creeper against the tree bark. That small bird moves quite fast while searching for foodstuff. Often times, using the K3, the numbers (camera is set for TAv) go up to ISO3200 to ISO 4000 at 1/1000s !! Of course, there is a lot of resulting grain and at the same time, the camera has a heck of a time to AF on that bird, even in AF-S.
My KP often goes to ISO 3200 or 4000 without any noticeable 'grain' {noise} in 'TAv' mode, so I'm not certain about AF, but the K-3iii should give you good images of something {even if just the scenery}.
04-15-2021, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
The Cross type AF points are the same as in K-3/II and KP at 25. My hope is that coupled with the IR AE meter it just doesn't need more cross type points.
This thread was a great read.. much more informed now.

K-3 Mark III - Comparing SAFOX 13 to previous generations of SAFOX autofocus - PentaxForums.com
04-15-2021, 09:43 PM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phowon Quote
f you have any Flat-headed screwdriver, you can rotate AF screw using that. (becareful!)
and you must look at focus-distance-mark, remember whether it was moved or not.
if lens focus hasn't be moved immediately although you have already rotated AF screw, this lens has an back-lash problem!
WOW!!! Haven't heard about that, but it makes sense.