Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 481 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2021, 03:54 AM   #166
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UlrichSchiegg Quote
That seems to me a rather arbitrary definition, like often in Wiki, but I am not a native speaker. My Webster tells me differently.
Regardless of the terminology, angerdan is correctly making a distinction between two concepts: one in which the AF system focuses on the eyes of the subject, and another, where the camera detects where the photographer's eye is aimed, and focuses on that area.

04-19-2021, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #167
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Don't forget that the accelerator baking in noise reduction will be a terrible unforgivable decision (but Canon doing it is fine).
Oh, yes! It will be a hot debate in the editorial room whether to make the dismissive headline focus on the accelerator or DPR’s innovative new AF.C test that they had to create in order to hate on Pentax.
04-19-2021, 05:57 AM - 2 Likes   #168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Regardless of the terminology, angerdan is correctly making a distinction between two concepts: one in which the AF system focuses on the eyes of the subject, and another, where the camera detects where the photographer's eye is aimed, and focuses on that area.
It would be easier to just call the latter "Eye-controlled AF" if Canon doesn't already call it that
04-19-2021, 06:10 AM   #169
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
It would be easier to just call the latter "Eye-controlled AF" if Canon doesn't already call it that
I saw the rumor they were resurrecting the old DSLR feature from "back in the day" for an upcoming MILC, but I'll guess they'll have some unique techie name for it if/when they incorporate it.

04-19-2021, 07:06 AM   #170
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I saw the rumor they were resurrecting the old DSLR feature from "back in the day" for an upcoming MILC, but I'll guess they'll have some unique techie name for it if/when they incorporate it.
Canon says their "R3" has that technology - which they do call "Eye Control AF"
Attached Images

04-19-2021, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #171
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Canon says their "R3" has that technology - which they do call "Eye Control AF"
Geesh. How un-creative.

They should have made a hire from Apple Marketing. "Optical magic" or "Eye Scan AI" would have sounded more impressive.
04-19-2021, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #172
Veteran Member

Geesh. How un-creative.

They should have made a hire from Apple Marketing. "Optical magic" or "Eye Scan AI" would have sounded more impressive.
Maybe AEye Scan?

04-19-2021, 07:27 AM   #173
Pentaxian

Geesh. How un-creative.

It does seem less awkward than finding - and moving - a 'joystick' around .... but this thread is about what Pentax does, not about what Canon does.
04-19-2021, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #174
Veteran Member

It does seem less awkward than finding - and moving - a 'joystick' around .... but this thread is about what Pentax does, not about what Canon does.
I suspect that the Pentax joystick is going to be positioned in a place where it's totally natural to find and use. Those sorts of details (and putting it on the grip, too, for those who like to use a grip) are things that Pentax excels at. I do suspect it will take a couple of awkward days of shooting to remind myself that the joystick is there and I should use it, sort of like when I switched to back button focus and had to adjust a bit.
04-19-2021, 07:41 AM - 2 Likes   #175
Veteran Member

It would seem so indeed. However I suspect as with any button often used, muscle memory will help find the joystick. OTOH, eye control would be impossible to use for me, as I tend to frame my shots very tightly and to do so often keep an eye on the edge of the frame get framing exactly right. I would end up missing focus for all my shots.

Wim
04-19-2021, 07:48 AM   #176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
It would seem so indeed. However I suspect as with any button often used, muscle memory will help find the joystick. OTOH, eye control would be impossible to use for me, as I tend to frame my shots very tightly and to do so often keep an eye on the edge of the frame get framing exactly right. I would end up missing focus for all my shots.

Wim
I guess you would have to train yourself to look at the most important part of the shot when you pressed the shutter.
04-19-2021, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #177
Pentaxian

I tried the eye controlled AF with a Canon EOS 3... it's cool but it's also more a marketing gimmick than a real useful function if there are very close AF points.
04-19-2021, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #178
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess you would have to train yourself to look at the most important part of the shot when you pressed the shutter.
Or use a joystick similar to the one found on the K3 III.

Canon's option sounds problematic and perhaps for marketing/bragging rights when compared with Sony. In any event, it's not anything that would attract me to the brand. That's for mirrorless in-fighting.
04-19-2021, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Geesh. How un-creative.

Pffff. Clearly, they'd gone with iDetection.
04-19-2021, 08:11 AM   #180
Veteran Member

I think that this will be extra feature on R3. They will keep joystick on the body as you cannot always trust your eyes.