Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 481 Likes Search this Thread
05-02-2021, 04:10 AM   #361

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rojaba Quote
After about 10 years, I'm really glad to be among the first to receive this upgrade. There's not much in between them looks wise, but from every other point of view, it's a whole new planet. First impressions are amazing, both in terms of focus speed but also image quality. Also amazing that the old battery still fits so no nervous sitting around, waiting for the new camera to charge

I want to thank my K5 for 10 amazing years of travelling with me
Shooting a motorsports event with the K5ii yesterday reminded me of the patience needed and the expected missed shots while waiting on the buffer to clear, even in single shot mode. I would be curious to see how the buffer on the the K3M3 fairs in this regard. I am certain it is much faster especially in the UHS-II slot. I guess my question is can the buffer clear fast enough in single shot RAW to not have to wait on it if shooting at a reasonable pace?

05-02-2021, 04:10 AM   #362
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tmlawes Quote
I have a friend that is into dog agility. He let me test the AF-C of the K3MarkIII. I am very happy with the results. This dog was moving very quickly through the weave polls and there was plenty in the background to "distract" the camera, but it tracked the dog wonderfully. This is the full burst of photos. All of which were in focus.
"yes, we can"

Thanks for posting this. This is good evidence that neither camera or lens are a limiting factor.
There still is a world of options to screw it up on the user skill side though.

I always prefer simple photo proof to text comments.
05-02-2021, 04:13 AM   #363

I have a friend that is into dog agility. He let me test the AF-C of the K3MarkIII. I am very happy with the results. This dog was moving very quickly through the weave polls and there was plenty in the background to "distract" the camera, but it tracked the dog wonderfully. This is the full burst of photos. All of which were in focus.
Great sequence of shots!.

I asked this question on a different post so please excuse the double but did you have any issues with the buffer while shooting this event? Was it clearing at a reasonable rate? Any waiting to take a photo while it cleared?
05-02-2021, 04:19 AM   #364
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for the test and video.

05-02-2021, 05:03 AM   #365

QuoteOriginally posted by mbceft Quote
Shooting a motorsports event with the K5ii yesterday reminded me of the patience needed and the expected missed shots while waiting on the buffer to clear, even in single shot mode. I would be curious to see how the buffer on the the K3M3 fairs in this regard. I am certain it is much faster especially in the UHS-II slot. I guess my question is can the buffer clear fast enough in single shot RAW to not have to wait on it if shooting at a reasonable pace?

All I know is that I need to get a faster SD Card. The one I have is 80MB/Sec and is not up to the task of taking a full burst in raw
05-02-2021, 05:36 AM   #366
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
All I know is that I need to get a faster SD Card. The one I have is 80MB/Sec and is not up to the task of taking a full burst in raw
The essential number is V90. The brand is of less importance.
05-02-2021, 05:41 AM   #367
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The next step really is a dog riding a bicycle.
A drunk dog riding a bicycle.

05-02-2021, 06:09 AM - 3 Likes   #368
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
That's a great sequence.
Thanks!

---------- Post added 05-02-21 at 06:18 AM ----------

This is great. Which of the many focus settings did you use? I guess AF-C and what else? Spot? Auto? Center?
I was using AF-C with AF Hold turned off. I started out using the AF-C AF setting but later switched to AF-C ExS. AF-C AF worked great, but I found that the extra focus points available in AF-C ExS helped make up for my deficiencies at tracking the dogs. I used the joystick to move the focus points to where I wanted them for framing. Unlike my K3 and K1MarkII, where I get the best results with the center focus points, the entire focusing area works great on the K3MarkIII.

---------- Post added 05-02-21 at 06:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
That's a great series and impressive results. I'm sure previous cameras would have locked on the background or the obstacle at some point and a number of the images would be soft as a result.
I was really impressed with photo #9. The dog's head went behind the pole, but the camera remained focused on the eyes.

---------- Post added 05-02-21 at 06:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
This is a good showcase of what the new camera can do. The only test it might fail is a drunk dog on a bicycle.
I offered the dog some whiskey and a bicycle, but it declined.

---------- Post added 05-02-21 at 06:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
And this was with ’slow’ DFA*70-200. I’v said for ages that it is fast enough with good body. I have DFA*70-200, and with K-1 this would not have happened. Omg. Yes. Going to buy K-3III ... how do you find this lens overal on K-3III?
I wasn't aware that this lens was considered "slow". I find it works great on the K1MarkII as well. However, it is very fast focusing on the K3MarkIII.

---------- Post added 05-02-21 at 06:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
"yes, we can"

Thanks for posting this. This is good evidence that neither camera or lens are a limiting factor.
There still is a world of options to screw it up on the user skill side though.

I always prefer simple photo proof to text comments.
Thanks. Yes, my biggest concern with the K3MarkIII is that the failed images are my fault now. I can't blame them on the camera.

---------- Post added 05-02-21 at 06:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mbceft Quote
Great sequence of shots!.

I asked this question on a different post so please excuse the double but did you have any issues with the buffer while shooting this event? Was it clearing at a reasonable rate? Any waiting to take a photo while it cleared?
Thanks. I had zero buffer issues while shooting this event. I was shooting some pretty good bursts at the different obstacles but never had the buffer fill to the point that I had to wait for it to clear. My biggest complaint with the K1MarkII is the shallow buffer. So far, I love the buffer on the K3MarkIII!

FYI - I am using UHS-II V90 SD cards in the K3MarkIII.

Last edited by tmlawes; 05-02-2021 at 06:55 AM.
05-02-2021, 06:54 AM   #369

Thanks. I had zero buffer issues while shooting this event. I was shooting some pretty good bursts at the different obstacles but never had the buffer fill to the point that I had to wait for it to clear. My biggest complaint with the K1MarkII is the shallow buffer. So far, I love the buffer on the K3MarkIII!

FYI - I am using UHS-II V90 SD cards in the K3MarIII.
That is exactly the info I was looking for. Glad to hear this camera appears to be a big improvement in this area. Thanks for the hands on feedback

---------- Post added 05-02-21 at 06:57 AM ----------

Ah, yes. The cards will help in that regard. I have some 300mb cards in the rotation so I am ready to go if I could ever pull the trigger and press the "BUY" button
05-02-2021, 07:47 AM   #370
Pentaxian

Great results - one of the most convincing sequence I've seen with this camera.

About the buffer, if I'm not mistaken the sequence took about 4 seconds and you have 15 frames. Are these all you took, or "just" the keepers? Which drive mode you were in?
(Giving the camera's need to refocus, I wouldn't expect more than 7-8 fps anyway, but I don't have the camera).
05-02-2021, 08:05 AM - 6 Likes   #371
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Great results - one of the most convincing sequence I've seen with this camera.

About the buffer, if I'm not mistaken the sequence took about 4 seconds and you have 15 frames. Are these all you took, or "just" the keepers? Which drive mode you were in?
(Giving the camera's need to refocus, I wouldn't expect more than 7-8 fps anyway, but I don't have the camera).
These are all of the photos in the series. I did have the AF-C set to focus priority. The drive-mode was set to "high" and I was shooting in RAW. I'm not sure what the actual FPS ended up being for this run. This series was taken after I had some time to practice, and I did have earlier attempts where not all of the images in the sequence were in focus. However, the camera was able to recatch focus if it was lost mid-run.

I think that in some of the pre-release videos, Pentax/Ricoh indicated that they wanted to make a camera that could catch fleeting moments. My impression, after a week of putting it through various tests, is that they have succeeded. I am looking forward to catching more action in my wildlife shots in the future with the K3MarkIII.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 

Last edited by tmlawes; 05-02-2021 at 09:14 AM.
05-02-2021, 09:14 AM   #372
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wasn't aware that this lens was considered "slow". I find it works great on the K1MarkII as well. However, it is very fast focusing on the K3MarkIII.

never had the buffer fill to the point that I had to wait for it to clear. My biggest complaint with the K1MarkII is the shallow buffer. So far, I love the buffer on the K3MarkIII!
The processor is an important factor in both focusing and in clearing the buffer. The K-3iii clearly has a very good one - hopefully it will be used in future Pentax cameras as well.
05-02-2021, 10:46 AM   #373
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
This was an OMG afternoon...

Friends called me for a pool party. I don't leave home without a camera as they already know.

I've never yet shot the K3 III on auto, but with the clouds in and out and reflections off the water seemed like it was appropriate.

73 photos shot, and only one single image at 100% was soft focused with a *55 and Sigma 70-200. I have NEVER had that success rate with any of my previous Pentax cameras.
Very nice! Exactly what we need concentrate in shooting and having fun.
05-02-2021, 10:47 AM   #374
Forum Member

I know it’s not the thread for this. Anyone had the same issue? My k3 III froze, I couldn’t even turn it off like you can see on the picture. I had to remove and put back the battery to resolve the issue…
Attached Images

Last edited by bencoskater; 05-02-2021 at 10:55 AM.
05-02-2021, 10:51 AM   #375
Pentaxian

Thanks!

---------- Post added 05-02-21 at 06:18 AM ----------

I was using AF-C with AF Hold turned off. I started out using the AF-C AF setting but later switched to AF-C ExS. AF-C AF worked great, but I found that the extra focus points available in AF-C ExS helped make up for my deficiencies at tracking the dogs. I used the joystick to move the focus points to where I wanted them for framing. Unlike my K3 and K1MarkII, where I get the best results with the center focus points, the entire focusing area works great on the K3MarkIII.

---------- Post added 05-02-21 at 06:20 AM ----------

I was really impressed with photo #9. The dog's head went behind the pole, but the camera remained focused on the eyes.

---------- Post added 05-02-21 at 06:22 AM ----------

I offered the dog some whiskey and a bicycle, but it declined.

---------- Post added 05-02-21 at 06:24 AM ----------

---------- Post added 05-02-21 at 06:25 AM ----------

Thanks. Yes, my biggest concern with the K3MarkIII is that the failed images are my fault now. I can't blame them on the camera.

---------- Post added 05-02-21 at 06:30 AM ----------

I havenot concidered it as ’slow’ but many has(Perhaps it is the ones who don’t have it and has seen videos at u tube and then know?). It is slowish on K-1(we talk about AF) but I believe that it is because of AF of K-1, not because of this lens. And this seems to be the case at here I’m going to pull the trigger when I get confirm on one possible work opportunity for next summer(and autumn). Not before that.