Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2021, 10:18 AM   #451
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
They probably will, but these improvements made more of a "splash" in a camera made specifically for action shots than they could ever make in a K-1, which will be 'handicapped' by larger images.
Higher price; lower AF area (that's also true for the D5 vs D500!); slower burst rate; slower buffer clearing speed...
Yeah, you are spot on. This is their action-oriented camera; a K-1iii will be more of a "good for everything" camera.

05-08-2021, 10:52 AM   #452
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
a K-1iii will be more of a "good for everything" camera.
Why would a K-1iii be expected to have a faster frame rate?
It wouldn’t be better at events {which are part of “everything”}
05-08-2021, 10:54 AM   #453

Hi,
Sorry but form me isn't clear yet how the subject recogniction works

For instance:if i have in sight a face how can i decide to set the focus on the eye(which one?) Rather than to keep on focusing the face?

And what happens if i want to catch a bird on a branch among the leafs? Does the camera will detect automatically the bird?

Thanks in advance if someone could help me
05-08-2021, 11:06 AM   #454
Pentaxian

Sorry, those were APSC advantages.

05-08-2021, 11:32 AM   #455

Hi
the k3 iii user guide is not detailed enough for me
Maybe on the Ricoh page is possible to obtain more infos?

Last edited by rory gallagher; 05-08-2021 at 11:40 AM.
05-08-2021, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #456
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It won't, but I've shot a couple events at 4.4 fps. It's good. Not fantastic, and you might miss some shots, but it's good enough and you can still get many shots.

I'd wager that the K-1's better at events than the K-3iii is at astro
05-08-2021, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #457
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I’m far from an astro expert, but I did drag my K-3 iii out last night to practice stars/Milky Way in anticipation of a trip to Badlands National Park in June. Mainly just wanted to get used to working with the controls in the dark and see what sorts of limits I could have with the astrotracer/O-GPS1 combination. Unfortunately, a few too many clouds and attempting without proper daytime location scouting means I didn’t get anything amazing. However, I was really impressed with the quality of what was captured with the Sigma 10–20 f/3.5 at 10mm wide open. I’ll throw the raws up somewhere and post a thread later this weekend after I’ve had a chance to poke around a bit, but I think the K-3iii is going to be very serviceable for astro work, especially for those who might be traveling somewhere and not wanting to lug a full frame body and full frame glass.

05-08-2021, 12:46 PM   #458
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
I’m far from an astro expert, but I did drag my K-3 iii out last night to practice stars/Milky Way in anticipation of a trip to Badlands National Park in June. Mainly just wanted to get used to working with the controls in the dark and see what sorts of limits I could have with the astrotracer/O-GPS1 combination. Unfortunately, a few too many clouds and attempting without proper daytime location scouting means I didn’t get anything amazing. However, I was really impressed with the quality of what was captured with the Sigma 10–20 f/3.5 at 10mm wide open. I’ll throw the raws up somewhere and post a thread later this weekend after I’ve had a chance to poke around a bit, but I think the K-3iii is going to be very serviceable for astro work, especially for those who might be traveling somewhere and not wanting to lug a full frame body and full frame glass.
Yeah, but my point is that you need the O-GPS1 for the astrotracer to work, and I'd be very surprised if the K-1iii didn't improve on the already-excellent quality of the 36MP chip.

(and I'd much rather have a flip screen for those shots, honestly... last time I used a camera with fixed screen for astro I was swearing constantly )
05-08-2021, 01:15 PM   #459
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, but my point is that you need the O-GPS1 for the astrotracer to work, and I'd be very surprised if the K-1iii didn't improve on the already-excellent quality of the 36MP chip.

(and I'd much rather have a flip screen for those shots, honestly... last time I used a camera with fixed screen for astro I was swearing constantly )

I suspect it will be closer to 50MP this time around
05-08-2021, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #460
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
With all the positive comments here about the K3 III, I am surprised that Ricoh/Pentax has not put all the upgrade improvements in the K3 III they did not make it a FF. The K1 made quite a splash when it released and now a crop sensor camera is the big rage. Surely many of the FF supporters would agree about an upgraded FF with everything the new K3 has.
I think the K3 II was more due for an update than the K-1 II. The K-1 II was released in 2018, not? The K-3 II was released in 2015, if I remember correctly. Obviously, all of these updated features will end up being ported to the K-1 III whenever Pentax gets around to releasing it (hopefully it doesn't take quite as long as some of the imaging engine updates and auto focus protocols should port over).
05-08-2021, 01:21 PM   #461
Pentaxian

The new technology will improve the "FF" experience, but it was most useful for improving the "APS-C" experience;
the K-1 can be used to photograph events, but the K-3 family has been more useful because of the more rapid fps made possible by having smaller images {but not as small as crop-mode on the K-1} - and perhaps they can still fit a GPS in despite the larger prism. We will just have to wait for it. This is a silly discussion in the meantime; I don't remember any jealous comments from when graceful ISO first appeared on the K-70 when it was first to get the 'accelerator'.

Last edited by reh321; 05-08-2021 at 01:33 PM.
05-08-2021, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #462
Pentaxian

It won't, but I've shot a couple events at 4.4 fps. It's good. Not fantastic, and you might miss some shots, but it's good enough and you can still get many shots.

I’ll put with in a month K-1 and K-3III in use at event. I do have a feeling already which will be out of bag more. And which one will get me not just more shots, but also ’the’ shots.

---------- Post added 05-08-21 at 23:52 ----------

I’v done some astro with K-1 the moonlander. It has been okay. Some how I still find that little screen lacking and wished for bigger one. It is still helpful with tripod work. And that ‘moon lander’ certainly has advantage as you can put it in many positions, instead of ordinary flip.
05-08-2021, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #463
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has anyone tested its ability to focus on smaller birds?
They are very quick, so I have difficulty of even getting them into my viewfinder {a necessary first step} when my lens is set al 300mm.
It seems like if you can find and follow the small bird, the K3markIII autofocus does remarkably well at focusing and tracking it. These birds were incredibly difficult to track with a 150-450mm lens but I was able to get more in-focus shots of these birds than I ever have while trying with the K3 or K1markII.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
05-08-2021, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #464
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tmlawes Quote
It seems like if you can find and follow the small bird, the K3markIII autofocus does remarkably well at focusing and tracking it. These birds were incredibly difficult to track with a 150-450mm lens but I was able to get more in-focus shots of these birds than I ever have while trying with the K3 or K1markII.
So the K-3 III knows the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow.
05-08-2021, 04:32 PM - 3 Likes   #465
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
So the K-3 III knows the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow.
African or European swallow?