Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 184 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2021, 10:43 PM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by steveoc64 Quote
The price is a bit ouch, but to put that in perspective - the AU price on a K70 before Xmas was around 700 ... and its now about 1100

Over that same period, house prices have risen by a similar % more or less.

... as has a decent block of cheese, a pack of sausages from Coles, or a tank full of petrol. I swear they are double what they were a year ago.

Not bad considering "interest rates" are at a historic low.

Ill take that as a win - a state of the art small format Pentax at a price that is going to hurt a bit, but is within range and easy enough to justify, and certainly wont regret.

Get one while you still can !
... the "Premium Kit" looks like a decent buy actually, to get the paired grip and nice leather strap. $3250.

Looking at the Digidirect site for comparison - only competition is Canon EOS 90D / Nikon D500 (both a bit cheaper). Pricing looks about right for a flagship launch.

To be honest, the only other new camera on market that is comparable to me is the older model Leica M10-P / type 240, which is still selling as new - mid $8k for just the body.

(not a silly comparison at all - they might be fundamentally different in every way on every possible spec ... but they are oddly similar in ways that I cant well explain. If you have used both regularly, you might know what I mean)

04-14-2021, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Premium Black kit

QuoteOriginally posted by Batman_ Quote
Well CRK have a 10 or 15% sale every few months or so.

I'm just waiting for the next sale. A few more months I can handle to save a few $$$.
they might run out if you want a Premium Kit , 1000 only World wide.
they still accepting orders although No ETA on the Black Kit
04-15-2021, 01:38 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
they might run out if you want a Premium Kit , 1000 only World wide.
they still accepting orders although No ETA on the Black Kit
but no limit on the regular kits - which {I expect} most people will order.
04-15-2021, 01:45 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
but no limit on the regular kits - which {I expect} most people will order.
That's to be hoped - otherwise they'd sell less than 2,000 copies

04-15-2021, 02:21 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well , on AU Pentax online shop the status for the regular Black Body Only was changed from DUE: 30/04/21 to NO STOCK
So , perhaps there is a limit on the initial shipment applied to all Kits.
04-15-2021, 02:45 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Well , on AU Pentax online shop the status for the regular Black Body Only was changed from DUE: 30/04/21 to NO STOCK
Did anyone thought there would be no initial supply issues? For a camera like the K-3iii?
04-15-2021, 03:12 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Did anyone thought there would be no initial supply issues? For a camera like the K-3iii?
Could end up like an AMD (CPU & GPU) or Nvidia (GPU) launch, preorder and wait months for delivery. I know stories of some people buying at preorder or launch day an Nvidia 3080 in late Sept and were still awaiting delivery in March. AMD's Ryzen 5950 are still commanding a premium over MSRP after launch in Nov and still hard to get hold of, 3080's are still practically impossible, AMD's 6800 and 6900 are rocking horse droppings. Covid, Suez channel, fire @ AMC, lockdown demand for any sort of compute and stuff has gone completely batshit. I could probably strip my PC for parts and make an 80% profit on CPU & GPU used.

04-15-2021, 04:30 PM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I take this to mean that all the initial shipment of black K3iii bodies has been sold (pre-ordered), but the stock of silver bodies has not (still has a date). There's still dates showing on the premium kits for both black and silver, so they aren't sold out. Either way, the stock is not expected to arrive at CRK until 30 Apr 21 hence the date. I was hoping to see a camera this month, but it sounds like it won't arrive until the first week of May at the earliest. You could still order the black body K3iii, but the date for the next shipment isn't known. That's my interpretation, anyway.
04-15-2021, 05:54 PM   #54
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by steveoc64 Quote
Looking at the Digidirect site for comparison - only competition is Canon EOS 90D / Nikon D500 (both a bit cheaper). Pricing looks about right for a flagship launch.To be honest, the only other new camera on market that is comparable to me is the older model Leica M10-P / type 240, which is still selling as new - mid $8k for just the body.
Fujifilm XT-4? About $A2100 at Digidirect, around $A1900 elsewhere. (Don't know how it compares, just looking at APS-C flagships.)
04-15-2021, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Fujifilm XT-4? About $A2100 at Digidirect, around $A1900 elsewhere. (Don't know how it compares, just looking at APS-C flagships.)
The Fuji does sorta put things into perspective.... by that I mean the Pentax K3III is quite reasonably priced.

One has to expect to pay for high end engineering versus everday type engineering.

For me... in car terms.... the Fuji is a Mitshubishi Pajero..... the Pentax a Landcruiser. Both fine vehicles.... but not the same class of vehicle.
04-15-2021, 08:30 PM   #56
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
The Fuji does sorta put things into perspective.... by that I mean the Pentax K3III is quite reasonably priced.
I did consider buying an XT-4 or an XS-10 for video, but having to buy a new set of lenses and probably an expensive gimbal changed my mind. The Fujifilm cameras seem to be very capable, but I have too much invested in Pentax lenses.

QuoteQuote:
One has to expect to pay for high end engineering versus everday type engineering. For me... in car terms.... the Fuji is a Mitshubishi Pajero..... the Pentax a Landcruiser. Both fine vehicles.... but not the same class of vehicle.
I don't know that this is entirely fair, but the reviews I've seen suggest that the Fujifilm weather sealing isn't great. I don't know whether the camera bodies are as solidly built as the K3iii. On top of the $2115 for the XT4 body, I'd be forking out another $1650 for a 16-55 WR lens, or $1600 for a 10-24 WR lens. So $2715 for the camera and lens, then another $1300 for the gimbal, which is $4015. Buying the XS-10 would save about $750. Instead, I bought a camcorder and a K3iii, and I can use my existing lenses.
04-15-2021, 09:04 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Could end up like an AMD (CPU & GPU) or Nvidia (GPU) launch, preorder and wait months for delivery. I know stories of some people buying at preorder or launch day an Nvidia 3080 in late Sept and were still awaiting delivery in March.
Sounds like the Nikon D850 launch
04-15-2021, 11:16 PM   #58
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Sounds like the Nikon D850 launch
It's nice to know that it's not just Pentax with component shortages.
04-16-2021, 05:43 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
It's nice to know that it's not just Pentax with component shortages.
I was never quite sure whether Nikon was pumping them out as fast as they could, or whether they thought an artificial shortage would get people "off the fence".
04-16-2021, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #60
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I did consider buying an XT-4 or an XS-10 for video, but having to buy a new set of lenses and probably an expensive gimbal changed my mind. The Fujifilm cameras seem to be very capable, but I have too much invested in Pentax lenses.

I don't know that this is entirely fair, but the reviews I've seen suggest that the Fujifilm weather sealing isn't great. I don't know whether the camera bodies are as solidly built as the K3iii. On top of the $2115 for the XT4 body, I'd be forking out another $1650 for a 16-55 WR lens, or $1600 for a 10-24 WR lens. So $2715 for the camera and lens, then another $1300 for the gimbal, which is $4015. Buying the XS-10 would save about $750. Instead, I bought a camcorder and a K3iii, and I can use my existing lenses.
Biggest problem with Fujifilm is the x-trans sensor. Some love it but I don't.