Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2008, 05:56 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax FA & A Lens price rise

http://www.pentax.jp/japan/news/announce/20081121.html

The new price will start on Feb 2, 2009.
The reason for price increase due to higher cost of the raw materials.
New price list: http://www.pentax.jp/japan/news/announce/20081121-01.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder whether they have shifted the FA production line to Philippine already? If they have and the price also goes up, it is not a good news to me. The Japan made prestige means a lot to me.

11-21-2008, 07:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Looks like alot of 20% price increases.

Ouch, I use two brands, Pentax and Canon. Canon lenses prices have dropped 10% the past month and these Pentax prices are up roughly 20%. Am I reading this right? The FA 600mm f4 will now sell for $14,000 ?

QuoteOriginally posted by yakiniku Quote
35mm?????????????????????????

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder whether they have shifted the FA production line to Philippine already? If they have and the price also goes up, it is not a good news to me. The Japan made prestige means a lot to me.
11-21-2008, 07:06 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Damn, I haven't got the FA 43 yet..
11-21-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by yakiniku Quote
35mm?????????????????????????

First of all, Yakiniku, I want to express my appreciation towards many very interesting posts of yours regarding the Japanese market!

AFAIK the production was/is/will be moved in Vietnam not Philippine (where Pentax makes cameras mostly).

Secondly IMO the main reason Pentax rises prices of the FF lens is the fact that they may be put to use sooner rather than latter. Otherwise it's plain stupid and if they don't felt that the demand will pick up I guess didn't bother. It's interesting that the FA50/1.4 gets a very important hike in price (over 36%) that could signify some structural changes OR the release of an inexpensive f1,7 or f1.8 new cheaper prime.

Regards,
Radu

11-21-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
you can still buy an A50/1.2?
11-21-2008, 11:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Indeed, its always been available ... in Japan $580 Plus delivery

smc PENTAX A 50mm f/1.2 Brand new - eBay (item 160299554171 end time Dec-18-08 12:45:46 PST)

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
you can still buy an A50/1.2?
11-21-2008, 12:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

wow...why didn't they ever make this an AF lens? Image quality should be better than the FA50/1.4...and the DOF would be fun to play with
11-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter

If you go to this old site you can see they can't justify the 50 1.2 over the 50 1.4. Unless you realy need the extra light.
Stan's Pentax Photography

11-21-2008, 01:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter

That only makes my dream lens FA* 600 .... $10,966.76 USD
11-21-2008, 01:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

exactly... cost ~$400 using M$ live cashback... Matsuiyastore is using compatible paypal checkout.
11-21-2008, 03:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
It's interesting that the FA50/1.4 gets a very important hike in price (over 36%) that could signify some structural changes OR the release of an inexpensive f1,7 or f1.8 new cheaper prime.

Regards,
Radu
OR Hoya told Pentax to forget about volume sales and start making a better profit on what does sell.
11-21-2008, 05:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Secondly IMO the main reason Pentax rises prices of the FF lens is the fact that they may be put to use sooner rather than latter. Otherwise it's plain stupid and if they don't felt that the demand will pick up I guess didn't bother. It's interesting that the FA50/1.4 gets a very important hike in price (over 36%) that could signify some structural changes OR the release of an inexpensive f1,7 or f1.8 new cheaper prime.

Regards,
Radu
I'd have to disagree with your reasoning here. The line of lenses listed are most certainly assembled in Japan. Currently the Japanese Yen is at a record high vis-a-vis most currencies in the world. This translates to a higher cost for the same item. Pentax would have to increase the price of these lenses in order to make any semblance of profit when sold or exported.

As it is, Japanese companies are hurting with the high yen as profits are slashed and more worrying, inventory isn't moving. By way of example, a look at most US ports and you'll see they are all filling up with unsold Japanese and European cars because the US auto market has vaporised.

At any rate, the FA Limiteds are still easily available now (at least where I am in the Far East). So the window to complete your FA Limited collection before the impending price hike is getting smaller.

As to the price of Canon's lenses coming down, Canon (and Nikon) did reduce their prices in line with the Beijing Olympics. However this won't last too long as they clear inventory. Retail prices of some newly released Canon products like the new 5D Mk 2 have already been revised upwards in some markets due to currency rate differences.
11-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #13
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I'd have to disagree with your reasoning here. The line of lenses listed are most certainly assembled in Japan. Currently the Japanese Yen is at a record high vis-a-vis most currencies in the world. This translates to a higher cost for the same item. Pentax would have to increase the price of these lenses in order to make any semblance of profit when sold or exported.

As it is, Japanese companies are hurting with the high yen as profits are slashed and more worrying, inventory isn't moving. By way of example, a look at most US ports and you'll see they are all filling up with unsold Japanese and European cars because the US auto market has vaporised.

At any rate, the FA Limiteds are still easily available now (at least where I am in the Far East). So the window to complete your FA Limited collection before the impending price hike is getting smaller.

As to the price of Canon's lenses coming down, Canon (and Nikon) did reduce their prices in line with the Beijing Olympics. However this won't last too long as they clear inventory. Retail prices of some newly released Canon products like the new 5D Mk 2 have already been revised upwards in some markets due to currency rate differences.
1) AFAIK Hoya/Pentax will rise ALL prices with a certain percentage to balance the Yen strengthening. It will happen way sooner than Feb 2, 2009 and as I said it involves all product not some older lenses;
2) Why the prices (well, MSRPs not street prices) are up by wildly different ratios from about 6% on some el cheapo zooms up to about 40% for the FA*600. If this is move only addreses currency issues why not the same percentages for all?
3) Again FWIW the assembly lines will be moved to Vietnam and there are reports telling that for example the new FA50s that come into shops are now labeled "Made in Vietnam" instead of the usual "Made in Japan".
4) IMO there is no way Pentax would of bothered this much with older lenses (except for the 3 Limiteds and the two FAs) is there was not something in the future to make them attractive again. At least I hope so ...

Regards,
Radu
11-21-2008, 07:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

RaduA, to the points you've raised:
#1 - That may well happen. It depends on what exchange rate the products were secured at and remaining inventory held by the official agents/distributors.

#2 - Because different lenses vary in the amount of time, labour and manufacturing, QC required. I think it is pretty obvious that an all metal Limited lens requires a lot more expensive machining than a consumer grade lens that uses more polycarbonate plastic.

#3 - More manufacturing capability and capacity might be shifted out of Japan but that's it's a stretch to make such a claim as far as the FA 50mm f/1.4 is concerned. Where is the actual proof that it is Made in Vietnam with regards to this lens?

#4 - Well I think the FA lenses still enjoy good sales because they still enjoy a fine reputation. I personally would rather have a collection of FA prime lenses than DA prime lenses for the simple reason because they are faster in max aperture.

Last edited by creampuff; 11-22-2008 at 08:14 AM.
11-21-2008, 07:54 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Prices in Yen

Quick question - did Pentax raise these prices in Yen (before the currency exchange) or are the native prices constant but the foreign currency prices higher?

IOW, if I live in Japan, what will I pay?