Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 133 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2021, 04:12 AM   #226
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
But white balance setting does not affect RAW images...
Well actually, you would be right there! Perhaps it's just my perception. But I spent a lot less time in LR getting the balance right, in particular the 'tint' slider which I always had problems with. I also notice less 'blue' casting in HDR interiors. Maybe the upgrade simply provides a cleaner take of the WB? Let's see if other K-70 users notice anything different since the update.

04-27-2021, 05:58 AM - 3 Likes   #227
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I really find adjusting focus a chore. Paranoid my lenses might be off now...
I did find it a chore. I was using a tilted target, taking images at each adjustment steps, then painstakingly comparing them on the computer, going back to the camera, checking at another focus distance, etc.

Now I've read about the green dot technique and it makes so much sense! I'm actually an optical designer by trade and that's what I do when optimizing values in the lab.à

That technique asks you to set your camera on a tripod at a focal distance close to what you normally do with the lens (a few meters for portraits, for instance). Place a fixed, high-contrast target in front of the camera. Focus using live view (or manually). Then disable AF, half-press the shutter and go through the correction values (-10 to +10), nothing which values let the green dot light up to confirm AF. Let's say you get a green dot from +3 to +7, it means the optimum is likely in the middle, so +5.

And done.
04-27-2021, 08:56 AM   #228
Pentaxian

I didn't try the green dot technique, it does sound interesting. You do need a tripod and a reasonably distant target, though.

I usually do it in the field, choosing a distant target (e.g. trees with foliage), then it's all trial and error: I'd compare images shot in Live View with images shot through the OVF. If they're equally sharp, I'm done; if not, I'd try another adjustment value.
04-27-2021, 09:19 AM   #229
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by idontstairs Quote
I'm starting to hate hating on my KP but it has been such a disappointment for me. I don't know what Pentax could do in a firmware update to make the camera more usable for me. Like they can't make the buffer faster. It doesn't matter if the autofocus got an update and was made faster when the camera is dumping the buffer and you can't shoot anyways.

What else could Pentax change in the KP with a firmware update that you think would be an improvement?
The menus and JPEG settings have always felt like they could use some enhancements for me. That's coming from the GRIII, and I understand the K3III resembles the GR menu to an extent. It would be nice to see just a little refinement over the tons of horizontal menu options, it takes some time to get from one part of the menus to another.

04-27-2021, 09:44 AM   #230
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Yup... Moved to Android-based (so ARM processors?) IIRC. Should be much easier now that the initial architecture change has been sorted out.
Are we sure about Android? Sounds like an absolutely terrible idea to me. Linux makes sense but Android? Can you run Android on a real time kernel without messing things up? I guess you'd get a lot of the connectivity and touch stuff for free but still. There must be something more minimal out there.
04-27-2021, 09:53 AM   #231
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
They ditched Milbeaut afaict so they had to figure out themselves what to do and how. That's part of the long wait for the K3III IMO.
The source is? Thanks
04-27-2021, 09:57 AM   #232
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did the AF check on my KP today after the firmware update. A couple of lenses were a few points different and my 20-40 so different I must have made a mistake first time, in fact it's possible that nothing had changed I was just a bit more rigorous today because it's not a task I enjoy so I need to be in the right frame of mind to do it.

04-27-2021, 09:57 AM   #233
Pentaxian

There's been talk about the GR os being different and Linux based for a while but I've not seen a source for this info.
04-27-2021, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #234
Pentaxian

There's been talk about the GR os being different and Linux based for a while but I've not seen a source for this info.
Not GR, but the GRiii specifically.
Here it is: Open Source Software (OSS) | RICOH IMAGING
04-27-2021, 10:33 AM - 2 Likes   #235
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The OSS for the new K3iii is also on that page. This is great news for future updates and additions. The K series finally gets into a proper OS.
04-27-2021, 10:39 AM   #236
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Yup... Moved to Android-based (so ARM processors?) IIRC. Should be much easier now that the initial architecture change has been sorted out.
Interesting! I obviously don't follow the rumor threads closely enough. What is the source of this rumor? (Google was no help.)

Steve
04-27-2021, 10:41 AM   #237
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Are we sure about Android? Sounds like an absolutely terrible idea to me. Linux makes sense but Android?
What they said ^ ^ ^.

Steve
04-27-2021, 12:34 PM   #238
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I did find it a chore. I was using a tilted target, taking images at each adjustment steps, then painstakingly comparing them on the computer, going back to the camera, checking at another focus distance, etc.

Now I've read about the green dot technique and it makes so much sense! I'm actually an optical designer by trade and that's what I do when optimizing values in the lab.à

That technique asks you to set your camera on a tripod at a focal distance close to what you normally do with the lens (a few meters for portraits, for instance). Place a fixed, high-contrast target in front of the camera. Focus using live view (or manually). Then disable AF, half-press the shutter and go through the correction values (-10 to +10), nothing which values let the green dot light up to confirm AF. Let's say you get a green dot from +3 to +7, it means the optimum is likely in the middle, so +5.

And done.
Dang! I'm gonna try that one! Because the other is a pain....
04-27-2021, 01:09 PM   #239
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
The OSS for the new K3iii is also on that page. This is great news for future updates and additions. The K series finally gets into a proper OS.
Right; it's as I expected, they migrated to a new, more uniform hardware and software platform.

I see no reason to suspect it's Android. It's much, much more streamlined... for example, it doesn't need several minutes to start
04-27-2021, 01:15 PM   #240
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Interesting! I obviously don't follow the rumor threads closely enough. What is the source of this rumor? (Google was no help.)

Steve
Oops, GNU based, not necessarily Android. Or, well, at least from what I can gather from the fact that it's OSS...