Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2021, 05:01 AM   #1

Wildlife Photographer of the Year

Went to the wildlife photographer of the year exhibition in Guernsey recently, but no Pentaxes… Nikon & Canon everywhere. I would have thought the waterproofing and quiet shutters would make Pentax a great wildlife choice.

04-20-2021, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lack of long fast AW glass. The sort of lenses that cost more than a new car.
04-20-2021, 05:20 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
No M4/3? The small sensor seems to give a reach advantage, my mate swears by his Olympus stuff for birding

I dont think Pentax is really set up for wildlife photography in terms of lenses - some of the older, fast primes Canon make are lovely - so much so I was seriously tempted to move to Canon for my wildlife needs, just dont like Canon cameras that much
04-20-2021, 05:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Flying633 Quote
Went to the wildlife photographer of the year exhibition in Guernsey recently, but no Pentaxes… Nikon & Canon everywhere. I would have thought the waterproofing and quiet shutters would make Pentax a great wildlife choice.
Perhaps the wildlife photographers are sponsored by these brands? They like to see winners with their equipment, don't they. I guess that Ricoh does the same but in another area of photography, considering the people that are mentioned on their website as photographers that use the Pentax brand.

04-20-2021, 06:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Isn't it obvious? It's difficult for such competitive photographers to give up on using Canikon pro-level cameras with Canikon pro-level lenses.
Thus, while there are some top-level Pentaxian wildlife photographers, I'd guess they're just a few.

The K-3iii (and other upcoming flagships) should first encourage the existing Pentaxians to go for more daring wildlife pics. We'll see where it goes from there.
04-20-2021, 06:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not to mention less-than-best-in-class auto focus . . . Pentax autofocus works fine for my needs, because my subject matter is usually stationary.
04-20-2021, 06:22 AM   #7
Forum Member

I think without the K-3iii the lens and body lineup just wasn’t on par with the other brands (particularly D500). I enjoy wildlife with my Pentax, but if I was a pro tog I might have to think long and hard, especially since it’s probably easier to get sponsored by the big boys.

04-20-2021, 06:52 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
interesting that sponsorship is mentioned, what do Ricoh sponsor?

I know Olympus sponsor the birding Photo of the Year competition, along with its unfortunate acronym (Bpoty) at birdpoty dot com Bird Photographer of the Year - International Wildlife Photography Competition

---------- Post added 04-20-2021 at 02:53 PM ----------

answering my own question:
Sponsorship | The world around Ricoh | Ricoh at a Glance | About Ricoh | Global | Ricoh

now I want to know what Ouza Shogi is . . .

Last edited by LittleSkink; 04-20-2021 at 06:58 AM.
04-20-2021, 10:28 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 11GTCS Quote
I think without the K-3iii the lens and body lineup just wasn’t on par with the other brands (particularly D500). I enjoy wildlife with my Pentax, but if I was a pro tog I might have to think long and hard, especially since it’s probably easier to get sponsored by the big boys.
If I were a pro who relied on and required top-of-the line equipment, I would also require relatively instant pro-level service and support. I suspect that is one reason pros who need to crank out a lot of shots rely on Canon/others and their pro-level support options when making specific lens/body choices.

I am, for example, on my 3rd PLM as 2 have died in outdoor accidents on the trail and at the marina. But I tend to go on less than perfectly manicured trails a lot. A pro would find it difficult to deal with the delays in equipment repair/replacement. I also smashed a K-70 that was rebuilt under warranty for a fixed fee. Great job but it took 6 or 7 months. No pro can stand that sort of down time with equipment.
04-20-2021, 10:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
If I were a pro who relied on and required top-of-the line equipment, I would also require relatively instant pro-level service and support. I suspect that is one reason pros who need to crank out a lot of shots rely on Canon/others and their pro-level support options when making specific lens/body choices.

I am, for example, on my 3rd PLM as 2 have died in outdoor accidents on the trail and at the marina. But I tend to go on less than perfectly manicured trails a lot. A pro would find it difficult to deal with the delays in equipment repair/replacement. I also smashed a K-70 that was rebuilt under warranty for a fixed fee. Great job but it took 6 or 7 months. No pro can stand that sort of down time with equipment.
Clearly you probably should not borrow any of your friends camera gear. sorry couldn't help it.

AL
04-20-2021, 11:43 AM   #11
5ks
Pentaxian

Apparently those who specialize themselves to wildlife photography (not me, though), like to prefer the best-in-class autofocus and a good selection of top quality tele lenses. However, I guess not all wildlife photography should be dependant on that type of gear? Wildlife covers more than birds and running cheetah, right? E.g. tortoise
So, I believe also pentaxians must have their chances to shoot winning wildlife photos ... although statistically, the odds of winning may still be a lot less for us than for canonikon guys.
04-20-2021, 01:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 5ks Quote
Wildlife covers more than birds and running cheetah, right? E.g. tortoise
I could use a view camera, too. I better dig out my old focusing sloth . . . er . . . I mean cloth.
04-20-2021, 01:46 PM   #13

I would totally vote for a tortoise shot!

edit: I meant picture i do not want to drink it
04-20-2021, 03:26 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I have never had AF difficulty with wildlife or landscape using Pentax, including with wide angle or telephoto/super telephoto. When I use proper settings and track my subject I usually get what I am looking for.
04-20-2021, 05:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

While Pentax may not be leading the charge of wildlife photography, I have seen many many excellent wildlife shots taken with Pentax gear by members of the forum here. Take a stroll through the 300mm plus club, as wildlife (especially birds) is a big focus in the shots shared there:
300mm plus Lens Club: discuss your long lenses - PentaxForums.com