Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2021, 01:45 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
So I think the 645 system does carry prestige for Pentax, even if it is mostly just servicing existing users' needs for replacements.
I'm sorry, but this is not a correct use of "prestige".

"Prestige" means purchasing a product because people have respect for the product or brand, such as how people felt about the eight-element Takumar 50mm.
Your statement has nothing to do with "prestige" - rather, with being one of the few suppliers of this particular product.

06-27-2021, 04:58 PM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Do we actually know this?
No we don't, but there have been hints (Lemono I believe as a source), and there is reason: limited resources, outpaced by Fuji which requires an investment of R&D they may not have or want to apply.
But it's a guess. One I'd fully use myself to guide my purchases though.
06-28-2021, 12:31 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
No we don't, but there have been hints (Lemono I believe as a source), and there is reason: limited resources, outpaced by Fuji which requires an investment of R&D they may not have or want to apply.
I don't buy it. Particularly the part about Fuji.
06-28-2021, 01:05 AM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
When they feel they have a compelling product concept to replace the 645z, there is a good chance they will make it.
Agreed. Given Fuji now has IBIS in some of its lenses, the compelling product would be a "full-frame" 645 as Fuji can't match that (the lenses do not cover the image circle) whereas the other medium format makers are a price category above. But releasing such a camera for Pentax/Ricoh also requires releasing new/updated lenses, hence why it might take a long time.

06-28-2021, 07:57 AM   #50
Pentaxian

But it's a guess. One I'd fully use myself to guide my purchases though.
There is also the increasing capability of pixel shifting on "FF" cameras.
Pentax seems to be busy improving K-mount - I would be surprised if they find the time to work on a new "645", especially if the old one is still selling in the replacement market.
06-30-2021, 12:30 PM   #51
Pentaxian

I don't buy it. Particularly the part about Fuji.
You don't have to. Time will tell
06-30-2021, 01:48 PM   #52
Pentaxian

You don't have to. Time will tell
And when the time will tell, conveniently, nobody will remember that I was right

06-30-2021, 05:04 PM   #53
Pentaxian

And when the time will tell, conveniently, nobody will remember that I was right
or wrong. especially since you don't formulate a clear proposition