Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2021, 01:21 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ricoh is sending out emails

Saying limited quantities of K3iii’ s are available for orders now. Check out us.Ricoh-imaging.com.

04-27-2021, 01:27 PM   #2

I do believe the K-3iii seems to be a bit of a hit. Japanese retailers are saying it is hard to get hold of it and certain lens combinations. The Silver 20-40 is in short supply in Japan. One retailer on twitter said that sales not up 10's of percent but container loads. Jeez.
04-27-2021, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I got it right after I got the email from Amazon saying mine has shipped.
04-27-2021, 02:56 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine is suppose to ship soon from B&H. Hopefully battery grip comes out soon. I hope Pentax sells a LOT of the K3III. Money to put in other camera development. IE K1III, KP upgrade, and 645 upgrade. Now if they would come out with a 180 or 200mm macro they'd have my money. Joe

04-27-2021, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So, hooray. That's 4 in a row, I believe:
  • 645Z, immediately sold out, scarce as hens' teeth for the first 6 months.
  • K1, similarly.
  • K1 board replacement
  • K3mkIII
See, there's something to be said for Pentaxians and their loyalty. Told y'all doubters to be patient!
04-27-2021, 03:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Personally I had no doubt about this. A couple of hundred of dollars more are more than justified by the exciting new features.
04-27-2021, 03:56 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

The long wait between new Pentax models means that a lot of pressure banks up behind the dam. When it breaks, it is spectacular, but when it settles, it's a trickle.

More regular releases please Ricoh.

04-27-2021, 04:42 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It seems the demand for the K-3 III is high, but I'm not sure if it's on par with demand for, say, the K-1 when it came out. If the camera still isn't "fully" in stock in a month, then we can more safely conclude that it's exceeding expectations. After all, it only started shipping just a few days ago.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-27-2021, 05:07 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It seems the demand for the K-3 III is high, but I'm not sure if it's on par with demand for, say, the K-1 when it came out. If the camera still isn't "fully" in stock in a month, then we can more safely conclude that it's exceeding expectations. After all, it only started shipping just a few days ago.
I agree @Adam, but I think Pentax is being hurt by not having inventory on the shelf like the "old days" we have lost a lot of brick & Mortar stores and the ability to walk in and pick up a camera rather than "special order" hurts sales IMHO.
04-27-2021, 05:17 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would be interesting to know if Pentax k3iii attracts some new Pentax users. I have a feeling that mostly existing users drive the demand.
04-27-2021, 05:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This all seems to be positive for Ricoh.
04-27-2021, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
I agree @Adam, but I think Pentax is being hurt by not having inventory on the shelf like the "old days" we have lost a lot of brick & Mortar stores and the ability to walk in and pick up a camera rather than "special order" hurts sales IMHO.
I've thought that too, but it is a lot of expense to support all of that, I don't think that seems to be their strategy and they seem to be doing fine. So I guess they know what they are doing even if we maybe aren't sure.
04-27-2021, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
With very few brick & mortar stores any longer, getting a camera made with in-hand ergonomic feel and intuitive user interface in mind seems difficult. Anyone with a k-7/5/3 variant knows this will be an elegant tool. Those cams are older, and many are indeed being replaced by users who got their money's worth. K-3III is an update in many ways from those, it feels familiar, maybe better, so it will sell well to those users. To newcomers unfamiliar with the Pentax top-tier APS-C form, lack of local shelf product is a problem.
04-27-2021, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #14

This is the first email I've gotten from Ricoh Imaging US in years. I get emails from RIcoh Imaging UK though. Been on the mailing list for years.
04-27-2021, 07:49 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would guess the first production batch maybe something like 5 to 10 thousand units.

That will probably sell reasonably quickly due to pent up demand.
The next 20 thousand will be a heavier and longer lift I suspect.

Estimated sales volume of this camera over its total lifespan, I would guess 25-35 thousand (That's a total finger in the wind estimate based on previous model sales and current market trends)