Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2021, 07:57 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
It would be interesting to know if Pentax k3iii attracts some new Pentax users.
I try to do my part, mostly with shock and awe when I post some astro images I take with my K-3, and 400mm designed in the 80s (I don't say it is the A* 400/2.8) that were taken in the 7 county core metro area. Lots of people wonder how I can get images like those, especially since I don't have an equatorial I can stick them on so I give the credit to the gear and my mediocre editing ability. I try to always respond if someone has a question and give as detailed info as I can. The one thing I don't give away is the location I use as I don't want lots of random people showing up who have no idea of how to do astro shooting and have them with lights on. It is generally easy to find if one is into astro shooting and there are enough hints so I am less concerned with experienced shooters who can operate in the dark or with a red first light.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
With very few brick & mortar stores any longer, getting a camera made with in-hand ergonomic feel and intuitive user interface in mind seems difficult.
I do think that is a killer for the brand as there is no one even pushing it to prospective customers. When I looked to jumping to digital a little more than 3 years ago my options for buying pentax locally were some older used cameras and I got a K2000. Later I stumbled upon a steal of deal on a K-3 and then later a K-3ii both of which still see lots of use. I took a look at the local camera shop and they have exactly 0 pentax digitals, 1 6x7, 1 H3, a couple of spotties, a number of K1000, a super program, and about 3 pentax AF film SLRs. Lens wise it isn't much better with most of the options being M42 ones that the M43 and mirrorless shooters grab. It is one where if one looked at that inventory Pentax appears to be a dead brand.

04-27-2021, 09:37 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It seems the demand for the K-3 III is high, but I'm not sure if it's on par with demand for, say, the K-1 when it came out. If the camera still isn't "fully" in stock in a month, then we can more safely conclude that it's exceeding expectations. After all, it only started shipping just a few days ago.
A lot of guys still wait for reviews, I believe.
04-27-2021, 10:07 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have the money right now. I hope Pentax keeps making money, though. I love optical viewfinders.
04-27-2021, 11:00 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a feeling that mostly existing users drive the demand.
They have said as much in recent months. Perhaps a few disgruntled DSLR-lovers from CaNikon may find their way over to the light. However, it is not a sustainable business strategy. Let us hope they can rebuild some momentum in their newly defined niche.

04-28-2021, 12:55 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Got the Ricoh email this morning and thought.... wow.... first one in ages and someone in marketing is waking up.

It would appear that demand has overtaken the first batch shipped. It will be interesting to see where and when it levels off and shipping is immediate.

It is a good looking rig with some great features but it is off my radar for some time maybe in the future. I still like my K1MII too much to add a new camera to the mix. It along with my K20D, K3 and K5 all fit my shooting style to a tee.
04-28-2021, 08:28 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would be interesting to know if Pentax k3iii attracts some new Pentax users. I have a feeling that mostly existing users drive the demand.
I suspect camera review websites and youtube channels will have a significant role in this regard.
04-28-2021, 10:44 AM   #22
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder how many legitimate review sites have, or are getting, a shipping firmware K3iii to test in April or May.

04-30-2021, 06:28 PM   #23

I got an email today from Ricoh Imaging UK saying the the Permium Kits are nearly out of stock and to "Order yours quickly!".
04-30-2021, 06:35 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
This is the first email I've gotten from Ricoh Imaging US in years. I get emails from RIcoh Imaging UK though. Been on the mailing list for years.
Ricoh-Imaging.ca piggy backs on Ricoh Imaging USA... so I'm getting even less here.. I subscribe to AUS and UK to get more info.... That being said, it was nice to get the announcement about the K-3. I have also recieved a recent response about DFA warranties in Canada to confirm domestic coverage is an extra year on top of base 1 yr (it is )
04-30-2021, 06:40 PM   #25

I got an email from Ricoh that they are holding my items that I put in the cart and never checked out. I left something behind. Lol.
04-30-2021, 07:42 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I got an email today from Ricoh Imaging UK saying the the Permium Kits are nearly out of stock and to "Order yours quickly!".
In Australia, the entire initial allocation (due on Monday) is already pre-sold, except for the silver premium kit. No word yet when the next shipment will be due. I'm guessing there is a bun-fight going on between the importers in different countries all trying to get stock. A bit like Covid vaccines really.
05-05-2021, 04:13 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
In Australia, the entire initial allocation (due on Monday) is already pre-sold, except for the silver premium kit. No word yet when the next shipment will be due. I'm guessing there is a bun-fight going on between the importers in different countries all trying to get stock. A bit like Covid vaccines really.
Still waiting ...

Well beyond the 30 April date originally quoted.
05-07-2021, 02:09 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Still waiting ...

Well beyond the 30 April date originally quoted.
End of April over here.
What's worse, I requested a change of delivery address and still have to hear whether they can do that. I will be away for 10 days, don't want the camera to arrive in that interval
05-12-2021, 10:14 PM   #29
Pentaxian

The K3iii is shipping in Australia now.
05-12-2021, 10:29 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They even sent me an email. They must be desperate.