Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2021, 04:38 AM - 2 Likes   #46

Do they plan to introduce another successor of K-3II that does not cost twice the price of K-3II? For people that loved K20D, K5, K3 but don't want to put 2000€ in a camera...

05-23-2021, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by superdave Quote
Do they plan to introduce another successor of K-3II that does not cost twice the price of K-3II? For people that loved K20D, K5, K3 but don't want to put 2000€ in a camera...
That'd be the upcoming K90.
05-23-2021, 05:02 AM - 2 Likes   #48

Is Ricoh willing to grant access to their cameras via an open API for Tethering / Remote Control?
I think we will then see soon some great focus stacking software etc made by users / the open source community...
05-23-2021, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thequo Quote
Is Ricoh willing to grant access to their cameras via an open API for Tethering / Remote Control?
I think we will then see soon some great focus stacking software etc made by users / the open source community...
They had one: RICOH Camera SDK
Not sure if compatible with the newest cameras...

05-23-2021, 05:30 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
Is the question, "What is the future of the 645Z and 645 lenses?" too close to "when will product x be released?"
QuoteOriginally posted by bladawiec Quote
I guess that the answer is probably known. But: has Ricoh really decided that the Pentax Q is dead? Or will Ricoh give any more chance for this system?
QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
The fate of Pentax mirrorless is a thing.... seems like a survival issue nowadays, or any plans for another FF, so that the current become more approachable....
You may have already thought of this - but a couple of questions about their commitment to the K-mount and their commitment to OVF may be a graceful way to approach these questions.
05-23-2021, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
They had one: RICOH Camera SDK
Not sure if compatible with the newest cameras...
Until now I could not find any reference to the K3-III, despite being a flagship camera. So my impression is the SDK is put on a sidetrack. I have looked into the available classes but it has only a very limited range of functions. If they don't improve that it will attract only moderate interest.

---------- Post added 05-23-21 at 11:29 PM ----------

Two further questions from me for the interview:

1. Is there any chance of a dramatic improvement of IBIS, or have you reached the technical limits of your system.

2. What is your impression so far of customers wanting pixel shift and do you know for what purpose they are using it. Are there plans to further develop hand-held pixel shift.
05-23-2021, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

A continued KP super light. The weight of the K3 for international travel has made the KP a go to for a 4 lens sling bag underneath an airline seat.

05-23-2021, 07:48 AM - 3 Likes   #53
Pentaxian

OK, here is my attempt:

0. I already own the K-1ii and a few excellent D FA lenses; the only thing I'd need is better responsiveness and performance. Should I get the K-3iii or wait?

1. It's good to see one camera manufacturer dedicated to SLRs. How do you expect this to play out for Pentax? Will it become a niche brand dedicated to "hardcore" Pentaxians, or do you think it can keep being a "mainstream" alternative to mirrorless?
Can we expect a bolder Pentax, trying to "steal" users from the other DSLR systems?

2. The new K-3iii is an amazing camera, and a bold step forward for Pentax. I guess we can expect technology sharing with the K-1 and 645 lines; but what's next? Will Pentax be the brand to once again redefine the SLR concept?
Ricoh Imaging has some interesting ideas around a SLR concept using the main sensor for autofocus and metering (instead of dedicated systems); there's also the possibility of creating a hybrid optical-electronic reflex viewfinder. Are these just studies at this point, or should we expect to see them implemented in future products?

3. Lens line - Pentax is releasing very good to excellent lenses, well targeted, and the future plans as reflected by the roadmap makes a lot of sense. However, the releases are slow.
Could you talk a bit about the difficulties in releasing new lenses?

4. Can we expect a renewed accessory line?

5. I've read and watched the English translated/subtitled material with great interest. Please keep translating; there's still a lot of Japanese-only material (and unfortunately the automatic translation is no good).

Personal product wishes:
- the D FA 21mm Limited
- a "K-1 Mark III" (hopefully with the new viewfinder and the AF area extended accordingly)
- a D FA 1.4x rear converter
05-23-2021, 10:17 AM   #54
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Here is my short list:
  • Ability to turn exposure preview feature off in live view
  • Radio wireless controller and trigger to support remote P-TTL through flash foot.
  • Ditch the proprietary thread on the camera PC fitting in favor of the defacto (Nikon-based) standard found on most (all?) cables with threaded fitting.
  • Automate AF fine tuning in a manner similar to Nikon.
  • Require "OK" to confirm changes to custom image, WB, flash, and drive modes (end accidental changes).
  • Optional accessory power bank for extended off-grid operation for cameras, flash, and GPS units
  • Update to O-GPS1

Steve
05-23-2021, 11:22 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What do you think we should ask?
I think it only makes sense to even consider questions which have a high likelihood of being answered. Lots of what I read has a 99% likelihood of being answered by "no" or silence.

I think questions they might be willing to answer at least high level is:
  • Do they plan to continue more than 1 FF (K-1) and 2 APSC (K-3 & KP) lines?
  • Would they consider open a direct communications channel (email or social media) for product suggestions to the Japanese imaging mother ship?
    Currently there is none and the regional "marketing" departments are not helpful. Many people have pretty nice ideas and maybe they miss out on them.
  • Would they think it possible for their Japanese staff to either write more explanation articles on how certain features work or at least answer question about them publicly?
    We do understand they can not put 900 pages of text in the manual but there are some areas users really can not understand how they work and we feel left alone a little bit.
    By teaching us how things work we can better use the products and will be happier. Maybe the engineers believe everyone is clear about everything, but that is not the case.
05-23-2021, 11:24 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
A continued KP super light. The weight of the K3 for international travel has made the KP a go to for a 4 lens sling bag underneath an airline seat.
How would you feel about a follow-up to the K-70?
My K-30 lasted almost 4 years without injury, but the top of my KP was damaged somehow during the first year of ownership.

According to the comparison here
Pentax K-3 III vs. Pentax K-1 II vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
the K-70 weighs 15g less than the KP does.
05-23-2021, 11:41 AM - 2 Likes   #57
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Please thank them for not making a mirrorless flagship. Could you please ask if they would develop a set of modern macro tubes?

Oh, and can they establish a relationship with a second authorized repair facility? Precision Camera isn't the best. CRIS was better, but it would be nice to have two options to send our equipment to for repair in the US.
05-23-2021, 01:04 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm going to echo the others asking about the same viewfinder technology coming to the K1 line. I'm totally not asking about the potential existence of a future K1, just what viewfinder improvements there would be if such a thing were coming

Since Fuji is making a stir with medium-format, is there anything in the pipeline for Pentax medium format? Perhaps an even bigger sensor (closer to 645 film), and/or similar OFV technology to K3-III? Sorry, now I'm just posting wishlists for things I won't be able to afford.
05-23-2021, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #59
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Walkingwolf Quote
The possibility of having a focus stacking feature?
It doesn't have to do the stacking in-camera, just focus bracketing would be enough.
- What are the properties of lenses that would allow focus bracketing? (eg. Does it exclude screw-drive?)
- Is it something that could be added to recent cameras via firmware update?

Are they going to challenge Canon's patent application for AA-filter simulation (via shaking the sensor together with OIS)?
- Or, if that's too on the nose, maybe some general questions on their view of the patent system:
- - - too many trolls?
- - - waste of time on paperwork?
- - - doesn't aid innovation as time is spent trying not to infinge others patents rather than licencing a good idea?
05-23-2021, 01:12 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Forgot one related to pixel shift. I like the feature, but from what little I used it the camera locking up while it processes the image annoyed me. Would it be possible to have a firmware update for a "raw-only Pixel Shift mode" where it skips processing the pixel shift jpeg and just saves the raw info for later processing?

Just use the first frame for preview images or whatever and bury it deep in the Custom Functions menus so people don't accidentally turn it on (unless that's already an option and I just don't know how).