Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 177 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2021, 03:04 PM - 2 Likes   #61
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any possibility of an automated lens focus correction system or automated focus stacking?

05-23-2021, 03:55 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Any possibility of an automated lens focus correction system or automated focus stacking?
What are you asking for in 'focus stacking'?
Something that would save 'raw' files for later processing or something that would do the job in-camera {which would probably result in a JPEG file}?

Last edited by reh321; 05-23-2021 at 04:05 PM. Reason: added the word 'in'
05-23-2021, 04:31 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
What are you asking for in 'focus stacking'?
Something that would save 'raw' files for later processing or something that would do the job in-camera {which would probably result in a JPEG file}?
The same point was raised a page or so back. Focus bracketing would likely be the simplest, especially for a large number of RAW files, but a lot would depend on the processing ability and RAM available in the camera. Four pixel-shift RAW images take a fair amount of time in the K-1, and that's with RAW output that still requires out-of-camera processing, but I don't know how much things have improved with the K-3iii. I suspect that a K-1ii successor will not possess the processing power needed, but you never know.

Either way, I'm in favour of at least focus bracketing. A touch screen would be helpful in determining the range of focus needed.
05-23-2021, 05:13 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there any possibility for a software update to illuminate the focus point(s) of the K-1 (II) when the user doesn‘t focus?

05-23-2021, 05:39 PM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The same point was raised a page or so back. Focus bracketing would likely be the simplest, especially for a large number of RAW files, but a lot would depend on the processing ability and RAM available in the camera. Four pixel-shift RAW images take a fair amount of time in the K-1, and that's with RAW output that still requires out-of-camera processing, but I don't know how much things have improved with the K-3iii. I suspect that a K-1ii successor will not possess the processing power needed, but you never know.

Either way, I'm in favour of at least focus bracketing. A touch screen would be helpful in determining the range of focus needed.
I'm aware the issue had been raised before.
I was trying to refine this particular contribution, to see exactly what this member was thinking.
05-23-2021, 11:11 PM - 3 Likes   #66
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

• Thank them for their latest effort to feature more non-Japanese photographers (e.g. in the "Photographers' perspective" video series for K-3 III, 12 out of 28 photographers are from countries outside of Japan). Tell them to keep the good work, but tell them also that there are lots of great resources that are unfortunately only available in Japanese (not just videos, e.g. Pentax Official articles/blogs and photo critique by pros) that could be of great interest to international audience if translated (not by machine, though ).
  • Is there any coordination between regional subsidiaries as far as social media is concerned? To me, @ricohimaging_jp on twitter seems to only follow Japanese photographers and media while mostly oblivious to other Ricoh Imaging subsidiaries. Why don't they tweet whenever @pentaxeurope on Facebook share great photos, or vice versa, for example?

Last edited by kwb; 05-24-2021 at 09:14 AM.
05-24-2021, 01:20 AM - 2 Likes   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do they plan more prominent presence outside of Japan/Far East (UE, USA)? This is in relation to most promotional videos after K-3/3 release being in japanese only and virtually nothing outside of fanbase made is in english.

Are there any plans to update/broaden lens selection for K-3 Mk III and in general APS-C sensor? There is really no prime lens able to take advantage of K-3/3 new capabilities and only one (second is coming) zoom that is able to keep with new AF system. Any chance to get DA Ltds PLM (and WR if possible). Also are there any plans to update standard DA lineup with PLM?

Will Pentax still produce DA (APS-C) specific lenses or will is there a plan to unify lens selection and produce only FF?

Can we get some info if K-3 Mk III release gone as planned when it comes to sales numbers?

What are sensor sizes Pentax will concentrate on? Will we get new FF camera, or will it be like in Fuji - APS-C + MF? Or some other plans, like APS-C only?

What are general, long term plans for Pentax and whole Ricoh Imaging division?

05-24-2021, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #68
Forum Member

Since the only body that Ricoh has released under the Pentax name in recent years is a high end APS-C camera, the obvious questions are something like: Are you working on anything for the Q series? 645 series? Full frame K mount (K-1 mark iii or entry level)? Entry level APS-C? Answers to those questions would be quite revealing for what kind of future Ricoh plans for the Pentax brand.
05-24-2021, 04:59 AM   #69
Veteran Member

What's the deal with Astro on APS-C, now that the K-3 III no longer has GPS integrated. E.g. the DA*11-18/2.8 being optimized for Astro, despite the advertised warming thread accessory being elusive. Will there be an upgrade to the O-GPS1, or its this still up-to-date technology according to them?

The viewfinder overlay in the K-3 III: is it possible to get other overlays or crop modes in the future? How extensible is it?

Will there ever be plugins for the DSLRs like for the Theta? Thinking focus stacking plugin...

How do they see the diminishing third party lens support. Is this something they don't care about or would they encourage certain more niche lens makers to come back to k-mount now that they are back on the APS-C market?

Last edited by Ishpuini; 05-24-2021 at 09:01 AM.
05-24-2021, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thequo Quote
Is Ricoh willing to grant access to their cameras via an open API for Tethering / Remote Control?
I think we will then see soon some great focus stacking software etc made by users / the open source community...
There is: Wifi Commander for Pentax - wireless remote control for your Pentax camera
Check this:
05-24-2021, 09:05 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems to me a 400mm f4 is a perfect match to the K-3III. Does Pentax have any intentions of developing one?
05-24-2021, 11:52 AM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Buckeyemikie Quote
It seems to me a 400mm f4 is a perfect match to the K-3III. Does Pentax have any intentions of developing one?
Related issues: (1) Has Pentax really stopped selling the DA 560 f/5.6 lens; if so, why??
(2) Has Pentax considered the possibility of licensing KAF4 specs to lens manufacturers so they could fill the perceived need for long-fl constant f-stop lenses with already-designed lenses?
05-24-2021, 11:59 AM - 2 Likes   #73
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Despite the presence of so many RAW adepts on this forum my impression is that Pentax cameras are actually developed and optimized for shooting JPEG with Custom Image, without Pentax saying that directly. So it would be interesting to see if you can get a response on that for example with the question "How important is Custom Image to fulfill the promise of The Five Principles of Pentax".

Another question related to this is: "Do you know the percentage of users in Japan who are only shooting with Custom Image".

Last edited by Kobayashi.K; 05-24-2021 at 12:41 PM.
05-24-2021, 03:31 PM   #74
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My only question is what the future developments are planned for the FF line of cameras and lenses.
05-24-2021, 03:38 PM   #75
Pentaxian

I wonder what plans does Ricoh have for the Sports Optics segment. They have introduced an interesting mono-binocular hybrid recently. What kind of products can we expect in this area?