Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 177 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2021, 04:27 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Questions about:
- the future developements of the full frame (OVF and tech from the K3 III ? ... without the lack of GPS and articulated LCD...)
- the future developements of the 645 (full 645 sensor?)
- the future developements of the lenses (a companion for the 70-210 f/4 like a fixed f/4 24-90 or 24-105? They want to extend the in lens SR technology also to the FF and APS-C lenses?)

extra question: they are aware of the poor sharpness delivered by theirs JPEG engine compared to other softwares that develop RAW like Camera RAW?

Last edited by Andrea K; 05-25-2021 at 08:53 AM.
05-25-2021, 04:50 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
Questions about:
- the future developements of the full frame (OVF and tech from the K3 III ? ... without the lack of GPS and articulated LCD...)
- the future developements of the 645 (full 645 sensor?)
- the future developements of the lenses (a companion for the 70-210 f/4 like a fixed f/4 24-90 or 24-105? They want to extend the in lens SR technology also to the FF and APS-C lenses?)

extra question: they are aware of the poor sharpness delivered by theirs JPEG engine compared to other RAW processors?
With my KP, I actually reduced sharpness slightly from default setting.
I suppose it depends on what you expect.
05-25-2021, 04:50 AM   #78

Yeah, that is really a great tool, but (correct me if I'm wrong) of course it is limited to what the current API allows.

AFAIK you can't do something I would call "programmed focus bracketing", that is tell the software to start at focuspoint A and end at focuspoint B taking shots between them at whatever increment you like, which means you have direct acces to the focusing system.
05-25-2021, 06:16 AM - 2 Likes   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
-Honest comments about their opinion on where the market is going.

-They are now essentially alone doing DSLRs, do they feel this makes them uniquely positioned for growth, or in danger of moving away from market demands?

-Reception and sales of the K-3 iii vs expectations

-There has been delays for all the recent products launched, any comments on that? Plans for the future? More clarity for customers?

-Marketing strategies outside of Japan? Many countries feel a bit abandoned...

05-25-2021, 06:29 AM   #80

Thank you for releasing the K-3 iii.

What is the strategy for long primes (300mm+) - the 560 being discontinued.
05-25-2021, 06:55 AM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
Despite the presence of so many RAW adepts on this forum my impression is that Pentax cameras are actually developed and optimized for shooting JPEG with Custom Image, without Pentax saying that directly. So it would be interesting to see if you can get a response on that for example with the question "How important is Custom Image to fulfill the promise of The Five Principles of Pentax".

Another question related to this is: "Do you know the percentage of users in Japan who are only shooting with Custom Image".
THAT is really interesting one! I second this, both hand, and all three leg up voting.

I would also add: do Pentax plan to introduce more "film emulation" color profiles?
05-25-2021, 07:40 AM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thequo Quote
Yeah, that is really a great tool, but (correct me if I'm wrong) of course it is limited to what the current API allows.
Almost true

QuoteOriginally posted by thequo Quote
AFAIK you can't do something I would call "programmed focus bracketing", that is tell the software to start at focuspoint A and end at focuspoint B taking shots between them at whatever increment you like, which means you have direct acces to the focusing system.
True but you can do focus stacking programming the focus point of a certain number of shots.

---------- Post added 25-05-21 at 16:41 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
With my KP, I actually reduced sharpness slightly from default setting.
I suppose it depends on what you expect.
This is the problem: From a JPEG shooter - DCU hides what the camera can do? - PentaxForums.com

05-25-2021, 08:19 AM   #83
Pentaxian

What is the "DCU"?
Even with my K-30 I was getting much more detail from my in-camera '"developed" JPEG than I ever got from Kodachrome 25 film {yes, I compared the two, using the same Pentax-A lens}.
I get even more from my KP; maybe the camera could do even better, but I am more than satisfied; photography is more than how much detail can you get.
Perhaps Pentax can do better, but I'm not convinced they should be 'straining at gnats'. {gnats are tiny bugs}

Last edited by reh321; 05-25-2021 at 08:26 AM. Reason: added 4th line
05-25-2021, 08:46 AM   #84
Pentaxian

Digital Camera Utility, the software in bundle with Pentax cameras.
05-25-2021, 09:58 AM   #85
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Do you know specifically who you'll be talking to?
Not off the top of my head, but it will likely be the usual folks from the planning deparment.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-25-2021, 12:48 PM   #86
Pentaxian

Digital Camera Utility, the software in bundle with Pentax cameras.
Oh, I routinely use "gimp" to do any "PP" needed to the JPEG and "RawTherapee" if I need to 'rescue' a photo by starting from the 'raw' file.
05-26-2021, 01:42 AM - 1 Like   #87
Pentaxian

Are there any DFA* tele or macro lenses in the works?
05-26-2021, 07:30 AM   #88
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Not off the top of my head, but it will likely be the usual folks from the planning deparment.
Thanks.

Some questions I would be interested in are:

- What features of the K-3 III can we expect to see in other future models, such as the new OVF glass, display overlay, AF system and AE sensor?
- What do they think about the large price gap left between the K-70 and the K-3 III?
- Do they think there is a market for a smaller, lighter K-mount camera? They used to have popular small cameras like the K-x, but in recent years the smallest model available is still quite big.
- With the Pentax brand committed to DSLRs, what kind of new features or improved quality can they add that mirrorless cameras can't match, aside from the OVF?
- Is the GR brand limited to the current 28mm prime camera? Ricoh used to have a wider selection with the GX200 and the GXR, but in spite of the GR's popularity, they range is just that one cameras and accessories.
- In their experience, what are the kind of improvements in new products that compel users to upgrade from what they have got, both in terms of cameras and lenses?
05-26-2021, 09:34 AM - 2 Likes   #89
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would love to see them add a feature leveraging Composition Adjustment.

Have a mode where it moves the sensor to the maximum in each UR,LR,UL and LL and then automatically composites the image.

Thanks
05-27-2021, 02:42 AM - 1 Like   #90

First of all, please, thank Pentax/Ricoh for making great camera. K-3 III with PLM is great as photo camera. It allows me to take pictures that I thought were impossible. As for video it is quite a good one, but I think it can be even better.

1. Does Pentax planning to add some of K-3 III features to older bodies?
i.e. I would love to have Highlight-weighted metering in my K-1. Or focus peaking with extract edge.

2. Now that Pentax is the only solid DSLR manufacturer do they plan to have firmware releases with new features like other vendors do?

3. The most important set of questions for me are K-3 III and video related.
Video - K-3 III with PLM 55-300 lens is wonderful combination. The more I play with it, the more I like it.
3.1. When can we expect new video related features?
i.e. as European user, I'm missing 25/50p modes.
3.2. AF-C for non PLM lenses (like 150-450)?
3.3. Clean HDMI output?
3.4. 10-bit video?
3.5. Full sensor oversampling for video?
3.6. Extending time of video by automatically switching to new file when recording?

4. Is it possible to enable saving of photos/video to external USB drive (for K-3 III)?
Samsung T5 SSD are cheap and fast. It would be great if Pentax would allow us to use USB-C in the same way as BlackMagick does.
With the speed of T5 we could get unlimited burst mode.

5. And the last one. Any possibility to run my own programs on my K-3 III (as it is using Linux)?