Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 177 Likes Search this Thread
06-05-2021, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #121
Veteran Member

- First congratulations for the long awaited K3iii and related success
- Is KP2 a realistic "hope" few years from now once K70 is updated ?
- long telephoto for APSC ? 150-450 is great lens but just too heavy ...

06-05-2021, 05:30 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I tested it with the K-3 III and it does not work, unfortunately.
[Ricoh Camera SDK]

Thanks Adam for the test. I dreamed about a fully automatic DSLR film scanner (pixel shift, focus, MUP, exposure) together with a stepper motor for film transport (via Arduino) all run centrally from a .NET app, and with a nice user interface for setting the parameters. That would be a fast scanner doing a roll in two minutes or so. But I guess each camera model needs its own interface to the SDK in firmware, and when Ricoh doesn't see many downloads or feedback from customers I can understand it has no high priority for them.
06-05-2021, 05:49 AM   #123
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
[Ricoh Camera SDK]

Thanks Adam for the test. I dreamed about a fully automatic DSLR film scanner (pixel shift, focus, MUP, exposure) together with a stepper motor for film transport (via Arduino) all run centrally from a .NET app, and with a nice user interface for setting the parameters. That would be a fast scanner doing a roll in two minutes or so. But I guess each camera model needs its own interface to the SDK in firmware, and when Ricoh doesn't see many downloads or feedback from customers I can understand it has no high priority for them.
I would be surprised if anyone would put any effort into a “film scanner” - or “film” anything - these days.
These days - long after Nikon stopped manufacturing their fine line - even I have stopped using my Nikon LS-2000 {I’m essentially done scanning my roughly forty years of slides.
06-05-2021, 06:17 AM - 2 Likes   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I would be surprised if anyone would put any effort into a “film scanner” - or “film” anything - these days. These days - long after Nikon stopped manufacturing their fine line - even I have stopped using my Nikon LS-2000 {I’m essentially done scanning my roughly forty years of slides.
You are completely missing a trend then, there is actually a huge revival of film and there are many online shops specialized in film photography. In Germany Adox is setting up a completely new production plant for chemicals. There are also plenty of film shooters constructing their own DSLR scanner (search on this forum and on Photrio). An important reason for me to continue shooting film is the tactile feeling of film camera's, the sound, its simple user interface and potentially the high built quality. I recently got a Nikon F5, and it's so much fun feeling the weight and experiencing the raw power of this camera.

06-05-2021, 06:37 AM   #125
Pentaxian

You are completely missing a trend then, there is actually a huge revival of film and there are many online shops specialized in film photography. In Germany Adox is setting up a completely new production plant for chemicals. There are also plenty of film shooters constructing their own DSLR scanner (search on this forum and on Photrio). An important reason for me to continue shooting film is the tactile feeling of film camera's, the sound, its simple user interface and potentially the high built quality. I recently got a Nikon F5, and it's so much fun feeling the weight and experiencing the raw power of this camera.
I still have the “Super Program” I used 1983-1995, and I recently purchased a “Spotmatic” ‘because everyone should have one’, but I prefer digital these days. Even the 24-hour turn-around provided by our local camera store {once I finish the roll , of course} is longer than I prefer to wait, and I get less detail from film. When I do drag an old camera out of the closet, my wife asks “why?”.

added: In 2005 - when I was still using an EOS film camera - my Mother purchased a digital P&S camera for me so I could become ‘more modern’.

Last edited by reh321; 06-05-2021 at 06:49 AM.
06-05-2021, 07:09 AM   #126
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

[Ricoh Camera SDK]

So you basically would want to be able to control exposure settings and trigger the shutter, right? everything else would be managed by the film holder/Arduino thing?

Is there a way in through the Image Sync app? Is there any way to do add-ins to that?

I do have a suspicion, and maybe Adam could confirm this, that the K3 iii uses a sufficiently different OS that the existing interface does not work... maybe they are working on a new one for the K3 iii and future cameras (which might include the compacts and Theta, I suppose)

-Eric
06-05-2021, 07:14 AM   #127

Oh, what a wunderfull idea.
Please ask them:
Why did they change the AF-C with AF-Area from the K3? The tracking AF-Point from K3 was a great idea und much better than the tracking AF from other cameras I saw in my fotoclub. The idea "AF-C focuspoint with traking Area" from the K3 with the power of the K3-3 will be the best ever.

And You will ask: What about the second firmware withe the "Pixelshift-Resolution" by Hand? They talk about before.

06-05-2021, 07:54 AM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
So you basically would want to be able to control exposure settings and trigger the shutter, right? everything else would be managed by the film holder/Arduino thing?
Is there a way in through the Image Sync app? Is there any way to do add-ins to that?
I do have a suspicion, and maybe Adam could confirm this, that the K3 iii uses a sufficiently different OS that the existing interface does not work... maybe they are working on a new one for the K3 iii and future cameras (which might include the compacts and Theta, I suppose)
-Eric
I was never able to test the SDK because I have no compatible camera. I expected the K3-III would be supported because it is a flagship camera, but unfortunately no sign of it until now. But yes in principle all the basic functions of the camera can be remotely managed with the classes from the SDK [1]. You need to write external software, for example a .NET app, to which the classes from the SDK are added (the SDK is not more than a library of functions). The communication goes via USB or Wi-Fi. Of course the SDK has no functions to manage film transport so you need a stepper motor mounted on the film holder (custom made by you) and a driver to actuate the motor which must also be controlled from the same app. I think I would use ready made Arduino hardware for that to control the motor to prevent too much tinkering with the hardware. I have no experience with Image Sync, but I think it's too much specialized and definitely less flexible than the SDK.

[1] RICOH Camera SDK
06-05-2021, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #129
Pentaxian

Tons of detail questions… what about the bigger picture:
Any commitment to the 645 system? Or do you concentrate on K mount.
What’s next wrt lenses. Update APSC zooms for flagship K3iii? Present DFA* zooms for K1?
How about tele lenses? K3iii is Perfect for action, birds etc… where are the fast lenses (AF & aperture-wise)
What is the general lens trend. We see large DFA* primes and upgraded Ltds + a new 21 Ltd. Will we see more zooms or more NEW primes? Or TCs?
What is Pentax‘ position inside of Ricoh? Will you get additional resources to develop quicker. K3iii probably required extra resources compared to previous projects.
06-05-2021, 11:00 AM   #130
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
[Ricoh Camera SDK]

As far as I could tell, in wifi mode the camera essentially has the same interface, but the SDK is missing the required configuration for this specific model.

However, in USB mode things must be very different as camera isn't even detected.
06-05-2021, 02:57 PM   #131

Why they realist "sharpness tracking" in Liveview and not in OVF, too?
06-07-2021, 05:33 AM   #132
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
As far as I could tell, in wifi mode the camera essentially has the same interface, but the SDK is missing the required configuration for this specific model.

However, in USB mode things must be very different as camera isn't even detected.
The page for Image Transmitter 2 has been quietly rolled back to have no mention of the K-3 iii since the camera’s release. It was shown in the various diagrams for a while, but IT2 didn’t work with the camera. Now there’s no mention. I suspect there’s been some delay within the SDK/IT2 team’s work and hope that they will be able to support the camera for IT2 (and also release an updated SDK).
06-07-2021, 06:19 AM   #133
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would like to know if they have any updated schedule for the release of the new 21mm FA lens. Also, if they have any future plans to release an f4 version of the 15-30mm 2.8 zoom. That is s great lens but for landscapes it is very heavy and is an impediment to adopting Pentax FF for landscape photography. The new 21mm FA will help address that, but best solution, IMO, would be an f4 version of the WA zoom. Thanks!
06-09-2021, 07:03 PM   #134

-Is there any chance that RAW video recording would become available through the USB-C port, like on the Sigma FP? (that means, to an external hard drive). If not, is it being considered in a future camera?

-Any news about the K-1 Mark III?
06-11-2021, 09:58 PM   #135

I would like to know if:
1. Pentax will have the new line for batteries. The D-Li90 capacity is below 2000mAh for years and in the current market the cheap smartphones can have battery of up to 5000mAh
2. Pentax will have a "lean"version for next K1 with basic functions and low price as if to make film camera with FF sensor and advance autofocus system output even to only DNG raw file.
Thanks.