Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2021, 09:57 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

You need to pay for positive coverage, same in magazines for decades. With a good product it is easier to report positively. Nice advert, but not don’t care too much.

05-27-2021, 11:08 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
You need to pay for positive coverage, same in magazines for decades. With a good product it is easier to report positively. Nice advert, but not don’t care too much.
It is true, they still usually do review honestly. When I’m having new performance and want to have reporter to show up, it is mire likely to happen when I buy ad from that same newspaper. Which is usually needed anyway.
05-28-2021, 01:30 PM - 4 Likes   #63
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The pixel focus peaking seemed similar to the KP edge mode.
I watched the video and was like "wow, this new focus peaking mode looks cool, I'm impressed!!". Later I shot lunar eclipse on Wednesday, wishing that the new focus peaking mode were available to me. But then I revisit the thread, and you're telling me that it's on KP! I pulled out my KP and sure enough, it's there, it's just that I never played with that before.

You could have told me earlier but thank you nevertheless! I learn lots of things from fellow forum members.
06-03-2021, 11:12 AM   #64
Pentaxian

This is a very cynical view.
I heard more positive things about the KP from DPR and other sites than I did here.

added: I have no way of knowing whether Ricoh advertises at any of them.

06-03-2021, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
I watched the video and was like "wow, this new focus peaking mode looks cool, I'm impressed!!". Later I shot lunar eclipse on Wednesday, wishing that the new focus peaking mode were available to me. But then I revisit the thread, and you're telling me that it's on KP! I pulled out my KP and sure enough, it's there, it's just that I never played with that before.

You could have told me earlier but thank you nevertheless! I learn lots of things from fellow forum members.
Manuals. We call them manuals. People use to read them, sometimes :-D
06-03-2021, 01:17 PM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Apas Quote
People seldom read their way though the entire thing unless as a cure for insomnia,
and often it is hard to find something unless you already know what you are looking for.
06-03-2021, 02:45 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Today's excuse for a manual isn't even close to what they once were. The ebooks available here were born from that frustration.

06-03-2021, 03:05 PM - 4 Likes   #68
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There's a word for people who don't read manuals: "Men".

---------- Post added 04-06-21 at 08:08 AM ----------

Today's excuse for a manual isn't even close to what they once were. The ebooks available here were born from that frustration.
I still have the K5 manual; a 375 page proper book. The K3iii manual is a 142 page pamphlet.
06-03-2021, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

My previous statement was basically correct; technical manuals were never well-written.

I have told this story here before, but this seems like a good time to repeat it.

I entered Purdue University as a Freshman Computer Science student in September 1965.
In those days, you would send the bookstore a list of your courses, and they would have a bag of books ready for you.
So, I paid for my books, took them back to the residence hall, and dumped the bag out on my bed.
I saw two computer-related books in the pile, so I picked one of them up and started reading it.
It was the IBM FORTRAN manual .... after a few minutes, I was ready to change majors.
Later, I was told by other students that the other book - a FORTRAN textbook - was for reading, and the manual was for when you needed to look up the details of some issue.
As I have already said, manuals are useful when you know what feature you want details on, but hard to find information otherwise.
06-03-2021, 05:00 PM - 2 Likes   #70
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It was the IBM FORTRAN manual .... after a few minutes, I was ready to change majors.
Later, I was told by other students that the other book - a FORTRAN textbook - was for reading, and the manual was for when you needed to look up the details of some issue.
As I have already said, manuals are useful when you know what feature you want details on, but hard to find information otherwise.
Man, how I miss those Fortran manuals!
06-03-2021, 08:25 PM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My previous statement was basically correct; technical manuals were never well-written.
I read my camera manuals cover to cover in the old days. This one came in multiple volumes:

Nikon Nikkormat Handbook Set - Volume 1 and 2 (16 Chapters) Amphoto Cooper 1974 | eBay

I just took the time to read a few sections of the Pentax super program manual. It is a far easier to follow manual than the KP. Technical manuals vary. The manual of the past has to stand alone without Internet support. This forced them to be more complete and better written - for the best brands products. That doesn’t mean there weren’t some duds.
06-03-2021, 10:37 PM   #72
Pentaxian

They, DPR, added K3iii to the studio comparison scene. Images below ISO 800 look shaky. Someone call quality control.
06-03-2021, 10:54 PM - 1 Like   #73
Pentaxian

They, DPR, added K3iii to the studio comparison scene. Images below ISO 800 look shaky. Someone call quality control.
I think you're a little late to the party.

Camera suffers from shutter shock at 1/30 and 1/60 of a second (to lesser, but noticable extent also at 1/125).

Phenomenon is difficult to reproduce because it requires similar setup to DPR, but some users managed to also notice the difference in IQ with their tests (just not as big).

I find it ironic to see after the development story that emphasizes how well the new shutter assembly works... I wonder if Ricoh will add full Electronic Shutter or EFCS (electronic first curtain) mode with firmware update.
06-04-2021, 03:16 AM - 1 Like   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Camera suffers from shutter shock at 1/30 and 1/60 of a second (to lesser, but noticable extent also at 1/125).
All we know at this point is that DPReview's K-3 III copy on their tripod has this issue. It remains to be confirmed that other copies exhibit the same weakness at the same strength.

I find it ironic to see after the development story that emphasizes how well the new shutter assembly works...
It would indeed be sad, if their efforts resulted in a system response that does poorly at exactly the shutter range required by the "daylight" version of the DPReview studio scene at ISO settings 100-800 (roughly).

If anyone who considers the K-3 III compares its images to other cameras using the DPReview comparison tool -- I know I did when I was shopping for my first DSLR and knew nothing about DSLRs -- the current images won't help to sway them in favour of the K-3 III (to say the least).

I wonder if Ricoh will add full Electronic Shutter or EFCS (electronic first curtain) mode with firmware update.
It is puzzling that they haven't included the feature in the initial firmware version.
While I remain hopeful that the DPReview studio scene images for the K-3 III will eventually be replaced with better ones, this whole debacle could have been avoided if the K-3 III had supported EFCS.

It seems completely unlikely that the sensor does not support that mode (it is used in PixelShift sequences, so should be available for single shots as well). The K-1 had to acquire the feature through a later firmware update and it seems possible that this could happen for the K-3 III as well, but it will be too late. Very unfortunate.

Last edited by Class A; 06-04-2021 at 11:29 AM.
06-04-2021, 03:25 AM   #75
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
It remains to be confirmed that other copies exhibit the same weakness at the same strength.
You're over qualifying the statement so that it becomes impossible. Others have shown that their cameras exhibit the same weakness but due to different camera bodies, tripods etc it looks a bit different for everyone.

Hand held seems to perform very well, the use case emphasized for this particular camera. I'm sure there are use cases where tripod is used low to medium shutter speeds required, but pixel shift is unsuitable but I don't think its a very common or important use case.

It is however very annoying to have any such limitations with cameras and lenses because they mean you have to keep this in mind and it affects the shooting process at all times.