Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 69 Likes Search this Thread
06-18-2021, 12:51 PM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
To be honest, I think the O-GPS2 will simply be a forced technology upgrade, because components used in the O-GPS1 have become obsolete and a redesign imposes itself. I fear there are not enough sales of this kind of product to permit much development of new features.

I'm not counting on it, but I sincerely hope to be proven wrong.
Probably K3III is the reason. For geo-tagging (as people told) smart phone could provide info but for astro-tracing that most likely will not work. And O-GPS1 looks like from previous century nowadays.

06-18-2021, 04:52 PM   #92
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Just think, if the K3 Mark III had the astrotracer built in, the camera itself would probably need to be pulled from the market now. Or more likely it would have been delayed even further. I think Ricoh dodged a bullet by not putting GPS in the body at this time.
06-18-2021, 11:51 PM   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Probably K3III is the reason. For geo-tagging (as people told) smart phone could provide info but for astro-tracing that most likely will not work. And O-GPS1 looks like from previous century nowadays.
From the announcement
"Sales of the O-GPS1 will be terminated when additional parts can no longer be procured."

06-19-2021, 12:23 AM   #94
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
By the way, the situation in Japan is that Ricoh no longer have stock of the O-GPS1 themselves and only a few online retailers seems to have stock. So it looks like the production is ceased and it will be unavailable rather soon.

06-19-2021, 02:47 AM   #95
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
To be honest, I think the O-GPS2 will simply be a forced technology upgrade, because components used in the O-GPS1 have become obsolete and a redesign imposes itself. I fear there are not enough sales of this kind of product to permit much development of new features.

I'm not counting on it, but I sincerely hope to be proven wrong.
I agree. No parts left, that's it.
06-19-2021, 11:44 AM   #96
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Just think, if the K3 Mark III had the astrotracer built in, the camera itself would probably need to be pulled from the market now. Or more likely it would have been delayed even further. I think Ricoh dodged a bullet by not putting GPS in the body at this time.
If your assumption is correct, they should already have the same problem with K-1II production.
06-19-2021, 12:53 PM   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
If your assumption is correct, they should already have the same problem with K-1II production.
Maybe they do. I wonder how much stock they have. They also may have diverted all their stock of the obsolete parts to the K1 ii away from the OGPS-1.

06-19-2021, 01:18 PM   #98
Pentaxian

Would that be a problem, though? The K-1ii is already quite old, and most important, from the old generation of Pentax cameras.
06-19-2021, 03:26 PM   #99
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Would that be a problem, though? The K-1ii is already quite old, and most important, from the old generation of Pentax cameras.
Depends if it's supposed to be replaced in 3 months or 2 years (yeah, I pushed the interval lol)
06-19-2021, 06:40 PM   #100
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Only if they didn't see it coming. If they know they have a certain number available, it makes sense to save them to make the $2,000 product, rather then use them up making $150 accessories. Running out of their only full frame model would be a lot more serious.

One interesting idea I saw in a Japanese comment thread was to design the GPS unit like one of the J-limited prism covers. The idea of making the unit wrap around the prism would be a very neat solution, although not every model's prism is the same size and shape, so it would probably not be very feasible. This was just a comment from a user so no indication that Ricoh is planning this. I like the idea though.
06-19-2021, 10:29 PM   #101
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting
06-20-2021, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Depends if it's supposed to be replaced in 3 months or 2 years (yeah, I pushed the interval lol)
Good thinking!

06-20-2021, 04:42 AM   #103
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Even better might be a port for external power through a power bank. Chances are that is what the camera will be running off of.
Except that if the camera was already using the external power you wouldn't need an extra cable for the GPS?
06-20-2021, 08:03 AM   #104
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Except that if the camera was already using the external power you wouldn't need an extra cable for the GPS?
Assuming one can power a device from the hot shoe. The shoe, after all, is only "hot' in the passive sense.

Steve
06-20-2021, 09:19 AM   #105
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don’t recall anyone ever providing power to an external device via the hot/flash shoe. Triple A batteries are light enough to carry a spare and easy to find for purchase if needed.