Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 69 Likes Search this Thread
06-01-2021, 10:06 AM - 2 Likes   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For me it is brilliant news and, for me, O-GPS is just a name for Astrotracer. Astrotracer is great and <100 g. Even the smallest astrotrackers, not that much better in fact re tracking, weight few, kilos, take much space (definitely too much for backpacking, "on the border" if you fly for some vacations) and cost more. With astrotracer you can do some landscape/astrophoto without having to transport everything in the car, your normal photo bag is enough.

06-01-2021, 11:23 AM   #77
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Sales of the O-GPS1 will be terminated when additional parts can no longer be procured.

Read more at: Ricoh Developing OGPS2 - PentaxForums.com

So , that means that owners of the "old" O-GPS1 will no longer be able to get parts if their unit fails?
It does not say "will no longer be able ... " it does state " ... can no longer ..." as of now?
Has anyone ever had an 0-GPS1 repaired? Also it says "Sales of the 0-GPS1 will be terminated when additional parts can no longer be procured". That point has not been reached yet.

06-01-2021, 11:28 PM   #78
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
For me it is brilliant news and, for me, O-GPS is just a name for Astrotracer. Astrotracer is great and <100 g. Even the smallest astrotrackers, not that much better in fact re tracking, weight few, kilos, take much space (definitely too much for backpacking, "on the border" if you fly for some vacations) and cost more. With astrotracer you can do some landscape/astrophoto without having to transport everything in the car, your normal photo bag is enough.
I agree. I just hope that the next version uses less power - even better if it is powered from the camera instead of having to deal with another battery, but I doubt that the hotshoe would support it. Meanwhile I'll keep buying eneloop batteries.
06-01-2021, 11:39 PM - 1 Like   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Sales of the O-GPS1 will be terminated when additional parts can no longer be procured.

Read more at: Ricoh Developing OGPS2 - PentaxForums.com

So , that means that owners of the "old" O-GPS1 will no longer be able to get parts if their unit fails?
It does not say "will no longer be able ... " it does state " ... can no longer ..." as of now?
I'm sorry, but for how many 200$ electronic items introduced 2011 you can buy "spare parts"? I don't think this is a thing at all for such things...

06-02-2021, 06:36 AM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The specifications for the O-GPS1 say that it communicates with NEMA 0183, which is a standard, non-proprietary interface for time and position data. I wonder how hard it would be to rig up another GPS device with a hotshoe adapter to work with Pentax cameras? There appears to be a data pin, along with pins labeled Ready and Mode. I have no idea what the expected inputs for those pins are. Ready could just be pulling a line to ground to up 5V or something, Mode might be a digital stream of bits?

My thoughts are that I could rig up a much smaller GPS for the camera to use. Probably too much hassle for little gain, but who knows?
06-02-2021, 06:41 AM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
The specifications for the O-GPS1 say that it communicates with NEMA 0183, which is a standard, non-proprietary interface for time and position data. I wonder how hard it would be to rig up another GPS device with a hotshoe adapter to work with Pentax cameras? There appears to be a data pin, along with pins labeled Ready and Mode. I have no idea what the expected inputs for those pins are. Ready could just be pulling a line to ground to up 5V or something, Mode might be a digital stream of bits?

My thoughts are that I could rig up a much smaller GPS for the camera to use. Probably too much hassle for little gain, but who knows?
Doesn't de O-GPS1 also include a compass and inclination sensor?
06-03-2021, 04:03 AM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Doesn't de O-GPS1 also include a compass and inclination sensor?
Compass, probably. The camera itself has an inclination sensor (at least the K-30, K-3 II and K-3 III do). But I don't have an O-GPS1 so I'm not sure.

06-03-2021, 06:57 AM   #83
Pentaxian

dang-nab-it !!! just bought the 1 a month ago!

I like the unit, and hope they change the blue led for a red one

Last edited by titrisol; 06-04-2021 at 06:39 AM.
06-03-2021, 07:02 AM   #84
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
. . . But I don't have an O-GPS1 so I'm not sure.
here is where you can find information on the current one

Pentax O-GPS1 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

QuoteQuote:
Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Unit
Introduction
The Pentax O-GPS1 unit is a small accessory unit that attaches to any K-01, K-5, K-r or 645D (or newer) camera flash hotshoe and provides geotagging of images (latitude, longitude, elevation), an electronic compass, and a simple navigator function. The GPS function also has the option of keeping the camera clock up-to-date. It was announced in June, 2011 and made available shortly thereafter. . . ,.
Read more at: Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Unit Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

QuoteQuote:
O-GPS1 vs Built-in GPS Guide
Introduction
We receive lots of requests for comparisons between the O-GPS1 unit and cameras with built-in GPS. Pentax released the O-GPS1 to complement the K-5 and provide the camera with in-camera Astrotracing capacity. Over time that feature has been popular enough to warrant an evolution to in-camera GPS units in models such as the K-3 II and K-1. There are differences and some surprises. To spoil the article's main findings up front, we found that the most important factor in astrotracer accuracy was GPS calibration quality, not model, camera age, or O-GPS1 vs. in-camera GPS. We also found that the second-most important factor was camera direction and relative angle to the horizon. Also important was the camera's shake reduction capability (more stops of stabilization generally correlated to longer tracing accuracy). Unimporant in performance was GPS location, internal or external, except that we found internal GPS systems harder to calibrate than the external GPS systems. . . .
Read more at: O-GPS1 vs Built-in GPS Guide - Introduction - In-Depth Articles
06-03-2021, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
dang-nab-it !!! just bought the 1 a month ago!
Don't worry, the earliest this is going to be released is Christmas of 2022.
06-03-2021, 11:26 AM - 2 Likes   #86
Veteran Member

I'm hoping they will make a silver one...

06-03-2021, 08:28 PM   #87
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
I'm hoping they will make a silver one...
At night - for the assumed main usage - the colour doesn't matter that much.

...and I don't dare to suggest the DIY method to get a silver one: wrap some aluminium foil around it.

SCNR,
E.
06-16-2021, 05:11 AM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Ricoh has announced developement of a new GPS unit. Perhaps that's why they didn't wan to build it into the K-3 III

O-GPS2, Next-generation GPS unit for use with PENTAX digital SLR cameras?RICOH IMAGING

From the announcement:

----------

O-GPS2* Next-generation GPS unit for use with PENTAX digital SLR cameras

RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. is pleased to announce the current development of the O-GPS2,* a second-generation GPS unit designed for use with PENTAX digital SLR cameras.

Currently in development as the successor of the acclaimed O-GPS1, the new O-GPS2* will provide more reliable, higher-precision positioning data of celestial bodies. It also will inherit the PENTAX-original features of the previous model, including: the ASTROTRACER function, which couples this unit with the camera's SR (Shake Reduction) system for effortless, simplified tracing and photographing of celestial bodies; and a dependable, all-weather construction.

The O-GPS2* is scheduled for launch by the end of 2022; this reflects an extended lead time caused by worldwide shortages and delays in the supply of electronic parts essential to product development and manufacturing.

----------

With 2022 as the delivery date, I guess people who want a GPS unit should pick up the current one while they can.
I was a bit disappointed that the K3-3 didn't have a built in GPS. I have the current one, but I'd rather the capability was built in.
06-18-2021, 10:17 AM   #89
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I agree. I just hope that the next version uses less power - even better if it is powered from the camera
Even better might be a port for external power through a power bank. Chances are that is what the camera will be running off of.

Steve
06-18-2021, 10:50 AM   #90
Veteran Member

To be honest, I think the O-GPS2 will simply be a forced technology upgrade, because components used in the O-GPS1 have become obsolete and a redesign imposes itself. I fear there are not enough sales of this kind of product to permit much development of new features.

I'm not counting on it, but I sincerely hope to be proven wrong.