Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2021, 06:06 PM - 7 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh Developing OGPS2

Ricoh has announced developement of a new GPS unit. Perhaps that's why they didn't wan to build it into the K-3 III

O-GPS2, Next-generation GPS unit for use with PENTAX digital SLR cameras?RICOH IMAGING

From the announcement:

----------

O-GPS2* Next-generation GPS unit for use with PENTAX digital SLR cameras

RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. is pleased to announce the current development of the O-GPS2,* a second-generation GPS unit designed for use with PENTAX digital SLR cameras.

Currently in development as the successor of the acclaimed O-GPS1, the new O-GPS2* will provide more reliable, higher-precision positioning data of celestial bodies. It also will inherit the PENTAX-original features of the previous model, including: the ASTROTRACER function, which couples this unit with the camera's SR (Shake Reduction) system for effortless, simplified tracing and photographing of celestial bodies; and a dependable, all-weather construction.

The O-GPS2* is scheduled for launch by the end of 2022; this reflects an extended lead time caused by worldwide shortages and delays in the supply of electronic parts essential to product development and manufacturing.

Sales of the O-GPS1 will be terminated when additional parts can no longer be procured.

----------

With 2022 as the delivery date, I guess people who want a GPS unit should pick up the current one while they can.

05-27-2021, 06:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
First thought, awesome, we really need a new, compact GPS for cameras like the K-3 Mark III.

But it looks like it's about the same size as O-GPS1, and is on the typical Pentax release schedule of 18 months out. Looks like a direct O-GPS1 replacement due to parts obsolescence.

Excitement is somewhat muted.

05-27-2021, 06:48 PM   #3
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
First thought, awesome, we really need a new, compact GPS for cameras like the K-3 Mark III.

But it looks like it's about the same size as O-GPS1, and is on the typical Pentax release schedule of 18 months out. Looks like a direct O-GPS1 replacement due to parts obsolescence.

Excitement is somewhat muted.
Given the apparent circumstances I think that image is just a placeholder. I don't think this is like when they showed the K-3 III in advance. That had clearly already had a lot of new design work on it and was a different thing from the K-3 II. In this case, I think they have just lost their supply of parts for the existing one, and have to say something to explain the gap before they can make a new one. It could look very different when it comes.

Anyway, I hope they are just underpromising and that it will be better and come quicker than they say here.
05-27-2021, 07:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Given the apparent circumstances I think that image is just a placeholder. I don't think this is like when they showed the K-3 III in advance. That had clearly already had a lot of new design work on it and was a different thing from the K-3 II. In this case, I think they have just lost their supply of parts for the existing one, and have to say something to explain the gap before they can make a new one. It could look very different when it comes.

Anyway, I hope they are just underpromising and that it will be better and come quicker than they say here.
I expect that this is way down on the list of important stuff when there is a worldwide shortage of computer chips.

05-27-2021, 08:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had original OGPS. I did not do astro-tracing and tried to use it for geo-tagging. It did work but there are some drawbacks: it prevent using on camera flash, I had turn it and and off manually. If I forget to turn it off the battery is depleted fast. Eventually I sold it. Will see how new unit will work.
05-27-2021, 08:26 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

I wish they had asked for some input on it, I always thought it could do with a wireless remote trigger incorporated into it, and some red led lights to use on camera when out doing Astro shoots.

I hope when they say "tracking celestial bodies" they mean it may have some sort of menu that can say track the Moon or other planets and solar systems, just a few in there would do, and the abillity to load more co-ordinates in via a connection to PC ect . Would be nice to have a live view with arrows showing up to point you in the right direction , sort of like gooooogle sky

Thinking about it, they should go all out on it, and put a Liveview screen up ontop of the OGPS so as you can point the K-5 and K-3 series cameras directly up and be able to use a screen on the OGPS, that would also stop the "No flippy screen issues"

Last edited by cmohr; 05-27-2021 at 08:45 PM.
05-27-2021, 09:37 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh has announced developement of a new GPS unit. Perhaps that's why they didn't wan to build it into the K-3 III

O-GPS2, Next-generation GPS unit for use with PENTAX digital SLR cameras?RICOH IMAGING
Cool! That was one of my product suggestions for the Ricoh Imaging interview!

Steve

05-27-2021, 10:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Thinking about it, they should go all out on it, and put a Liveview screen up ontop of the OGPS so as you can point the K-5 and K-3 series cameras directly up and be able to use a screen on the OGPS, that would also stop the "No flippy screen issues"
That’d be the only reason I’d even consider buying one. I imagine that it would have to use Wifi or an external HDMI cable, but Wifi would rule out the K-5 from compatibility.

If you wanted to really complicate the issue, you could also incorporate a small flash into it. Come to think of it, the old Pentax Speedlights were that shape. I'm not expecting they will, mind.
05-27-2021, 11:33 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Cool!! I hope it will be compatible with older bodies as well.
05-28-2021, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Stick a hotshoe on top so you can piggyback a flash.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 05-28-2021 at 01:54 PM.
05-28-2021, 01:32 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

They then have to release a new flash powerful enough to light up the astro objects you're trying to shoot. Will get a bit annoying waiting for the light to reach the stars but if you train your offspring to train their offspring to push the shutter at the right time. ..
05-28-2021, 01:36 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
They then have to release a new flash powerful enough to light up the astro objects you're trying to shoot. Will get a bit annoying waiting for the light to reach the stars but if you train your offspring to train their offspring to push the shutter at the right time. ..
It's for geotagging, not just astro.
05-28-2021, 01:58 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
It's for geotagging, not just astro.
I think it was a joke, like my comment, but it is the only way to automatically geotag images for pre-K-3ii bodies. I wonít be forking out for one, even if/when I purchase a K-3iii, because Iím fortunate to have a K-1 if I want to do astro-tracing.
05-28-2021, 02:15 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Despite the image, I still half-hope it will be much more compact, and that it will get power from the camera.
05-28-2021, 02:35 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With 2022 as the delivery date, I guess people who want a GPS unit should pick up the current one while they can.
I ordered the O-GPS1 immediatley after hearing it would not be continued. It works very nicely on my K-70 for astrotracing, making it the most convenient camera in the Pentax line-up for astrophotography, because of its very flippy screen. I haven't used the GPS-functionality until now I have to admit.

After watching the first videos about the K-3 iii I do now understand what decisions had been made
Built in GPS vs. new pentaprism - A no brainer for me : new pentaprism
Touch screen vs. flippy one - I would have prefered the flippy screen.

In short: Pentax did not target astro and landscape photographer with the K-3 iii. A good decision, as the K-3 iii adresses the main issues of the older models, speed and AF-system and adds the best DSLR APS-C pentaprism on top.
They ditched a unique selling point - astrophotography - that sadly wasn't realized by the astrophotography community to be honest. I am very happy they did not ditch the external GPS unit for the future as well. I hope there will be a flippy screen on the follow up of the K-70 as well.