Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2021, 07:28 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-3 Mark III firmware V1.02 now available.

New release of firmware at Support | RICOH IMAGING

Cheers,
Terry

06-06-2021, 07:47 PM   #2
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the info. Flash comp problem on S.Fn dial still not fixed.
06-06-2021, 08:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
New release of firmware at Support | RICOH IMAGING

Cheers,
Terry
Thanks for the heads up!
06-06-2021, 08:27 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

might help someone here:

06-06-2021, 09:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Done. Seems to have been a very minor bug fix.
06-07-2021, 02:18 AM - 2 Likes   #6

Direct link to K-3iii download page:
Latest PENTAX K-3 Mark III Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

QuoteQuote:
Changes to V1.02
  • Improved – When using both SD card slot 1 and slot 2 at the same time, operation becomes unstable in rare cases when using some SD cards.
  • Improved stability for general performance.
06-07-2021, 04:01 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
" easy peasy "

" can of corn "

no problem at all

06-07-2021, 10:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Personally I’m going to wait for a firmware update that I can notice. The risk of something happening when doing a firmware update is not 0 so I don’t want to be doing it more than I need to. I will need to put some thought into what I would tip me over the update edge but undefined general stability is not it.
06-07-2021, 10:44 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
The risk of something happening when doing a firmware update is not 0
The risk of missing a once-in-a-lifetime shot because of a preventable random system glitch is also not 0 :P

Last edited by FozzFoster; 06-07-2021 at 10:52 AM.
06-07-2021, 12:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
The risk of missing a once-in-a-lifetime shot because of a preventable random system glitch is also not 0 :P
A glitch that is random is unpreventable by its nature. So a 'preventable random system glitch' doesn't even exist. A far more plausible scenario is that persons who are afraid of disasters happening during a firmware update are attracting glitches simply because they have not the right mental attitude. For example they forget to charge the battery before an update, and the camera is bricked when it runs low (and they say "I knew something would happen"). So, the best advise is indeed to wait with an update until you are convinced it will work.
06-07-2021, 12:12 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
A glitch that is random is unpreventable by its nature. So a 'preventable random system glitch' doesn't even exist. A far more plausible scenario is that persons who are afraid of disasters happening during a firmware update are attracting glitches simply because they have not the right mental attitude. For example they forget to charge the battery before an update, and the camera is bricked when it runs low (and they say "I knew something would happen"). So, the best advise is indeed to wait with an update until you are convinced it will work.
There's nothing like being controlled by fear.
06-07-2021, 12:20 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Something that seems 'random' to us may be entirely explainable to the developers.
From experience I can say that a 'preventable random glitch' really does exist - I have personally created - and fixed - many of them.
I get concerned only when I see many reports of fixing them long after the product has been released.
06-07-2021, 12:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Something that seems 'random' to us may be entirely explainable to the developers.
From experience I can say that a 'preventable random glitch' really does exist - I have personally created - and fixed - many of them. I get concerned only when I see many reports of fixing them long after the product has been released.
In physics an event is random or it is not random. There is no state between those two possibilities. So, as I explained a 'preventable random system glitch' is a contradictio in terminis. I think we are too much accustomed to 'random' processes (in software) that are artificially created and actually semi-random. It is not possible to create a true random process with software. True random signal generators are always using a physical process, for example thermal activity from ions, or particles that are emitted from a radioactive material.

Going back to the subject, a matter of more concern is the reliability of the new firmware itself, because in the past it has often happened that within one or two days Pentax published yet another update to compensate for new errors. So that is a valid reason to delay installing the new firmware.

Last edited by Kobayashi.K; 06-07-2021 at 01:13 PM.
06-07-2021, 01:16 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

n physics an event is random or it is not random. There is no state between those two possibilities.
Can be seemingly random when the cause-effect relationships aren't known. Once underlying variable is known as a cause, all of the sudden , what seemed to be unpredictable becomes predictable, not random anymore.
06-07-2021, 01:38 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

In physics an event is random or it is not random. There is no state between those two possibilities. So, as I explained a 'preventable random system glitch' is a contradictio in terminis. I think we are too much accustomed to 'random' processes (in software) that are artificially created and actually semi-random. It is not possible to create a true random process with software. True random signal generators are always using a physical process, for example thermal activity from ions, or particles that are emitted from a radioactive material.
You're going too far - people usually don't mean that when they say random. They usually means "it doesn't always happen, and I didn't see an extremely obvious pattern".
OTOH, I'd say that a 'glitch' involving a cryptographic strength pseudo-random number generator would do the trick (can you differentiate from it and true randomness?). Been there, done that. The behavior was completely deterministic, the trigger was for all practical purposes random.