Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2021, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
All three have control of memory used {by the code} issues that could appear “randomly”, but an engineer can find by carefully examining the code.
I hope they're using static code analysis, besides code reviews.

To try make this slightly more interesting to non-developers, there are random bugs - but then, there are Heisenbugs. The latter would disappear when some developer is investigating them.

06-09-2021, 06:30 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I hope they're using static code analysis, besides code reviews.

To try make this slightly more interesting to non-developers, there are random bugs - but then, there are Heisenbugs. The latter would disappear when some developer is investigating them.
When I worked for a defense contractor, we found errors by using group code reviews.
Our Software Lead was very good both at finding mistakes and at spotting inefficiencies.

added: upon further thinking. I believe the code review meetings were required by our CMMI-3 rating {CMMI defines requirements for software houses; only the Space Shuttle was CMMI-5}.
They were a great idea, because several eyes would spot a mistake that would show up only dynamically - when the code was actually running.

Last edited by reh321; 06-09-2021 at 08:39 AM.
06-10-2021, 03:48 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is there a way to roll back the firmware? My K3MarkIII started having issues with the backscreen the day after I updated the firmware. The first time it occurred, the settings display stopped showing but I was able to keep shooting by checking settings through the viewfinder or LCD screen. At first, even though the settings wouldn't display, I could review images with the backscreen, but that stopped responding as well after a while. The menu would still come up and display, however. Which was good, as that meant I could reset the setting. After the reset, it started working again properly for the rest of the day. The next day, however, the settings display issue returned but never progressed to not showing the image playback. As during the day before, doing a reset got it working properly again. After two resets in two days, I've got my preferred settings well memorized now! It is sort of acting like the eye sensor is reporting that the camera is at my face, even when it isn't obstructed. I tried turning the eye sensor off, but only the settings reset helped. Maybe it is just a coincidence the issue started the day after the firmware update, but I'm hoping to test that by rolling back the firmware.

The timing of the issue was very inconvenient. I was in a small aircraft photographing colonial waterbirds for work and paying the pilot $455/hr for the flight time. I had a K1MarkII as a backup and that I was able to quickly switch systems, but ultimately we were forced to land so that I could troubleshoot the problem with the K3MarkIII on the first day.
06-10-2021, 06:18 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Sounds like you’ve run into the non-problem some of us have where you need to press the info button twice to resurrect the back display.

06-10-2021, 06:42 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Sounds like you’ve run into the non-problem some of us have where you need to press the info button twice to resurrect the back display.
Thanks for the hint. If it happens again, I'll try that.
06-14-2021, 12:44 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
As I said in the comment which precipitated this comment, I have personally created errors which seemed ‘random’ to users, but made sense when I figured out how they got there. A common cause is a mistake in memory management - for example releasing memory in one module that is in use in another one. Modern languages {such as ‘Java’} make such mistakes unusual, but such errors do occur in older ones such as ‘c’; I don’t know what language the K-3iii firmware is developed in.
K3III and GR3 are the same system, which is based on Android.
So I think the development language should be C/C++.
06-14-2021, 02:12 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lemono Quote
K3III and GR3 are the same system, which is based on Android.
On Linux, not Android AFAIK.

06-14-2021, 04:50 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
On Linux, not Android AFAIK.
Yep. As far as we know. Or is it android?
It would be nice to have a definitive answer.
06-14-2021, 05:23 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yep. As far as we know. Or is it android?
I have several C++ books for Android.
I know of no real difference between the two other than the usual differences between ‘flavors’ of UNIX, which are usually limited to different utilities and how system utilities are called - but I don’t claim expertise.
06-14-2021, 05:33 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
So, formulate a question for @Adam; to ask; that is why that thread exists.