Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2021, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
To my mind, there was little substance to the Shutterbug article. In fact, in some ways it was a bit disingenuous with the author juxtaposing the K-3 III with his K-5 with little or no mention of the intervening models - K-3, K-3II, KP, and the two versions of the K-1.

I would like to get a K-3 III. But if I were on the fence, I would look elsewhere for a review to value.

I have to say, I enjoy my digital subscriptions. I can read wherever I am, and the past issues are always right at my fingertips. I use a service called Zinio and subscribe to several photo mags as well as some others. My New Yorker subscription is for print, but I often read articles digitally.
The experience of users here has been enough to convince me that it is a good deal
…. for anyone who has $2000 lying around.

06-09-2021, 03:49 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The focus on eyes is a lot more than how many AF points are used - it is a whole different thing.
For a DSLR , number of AF points is more for subject tracking. Wider focus area can be valuable for focus stacking (e.g landscape, architecture scenes). Otherwise, main subject focus is seldom is frame corners.
06-10-2021, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lucky enough to get 2 (One for the Boss (spouse), one for me)...

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Very favorable review, now I want one.
So far very impressed. Sensor is so good, FA* 300 F2.8 and FA*85 1.4, DFA 15-30, DFA 24-70 and DA 12-24, F 50 1.4 have left the building. NOW, I can use smaller glass (except for the DFA* 70-200 2.8 and the DFA 150-450). Now all I need is a new 16-50 PLM, and I'm done Currently testing Legacy flashes (PTX 360 and 540 FGZ), a Metz 58AF-2, and a 26-AF-2, to see if anything changes from K-3..

The build quality is great. New Battery grip has lug for hand grip built in, (no more plate until I need a tripod/monopod), all batteries work, cards format in a quarter of the time, Bluetooth/ wifi with Image Sync are perfect, and... Drumroll.... THE GPS DATA GOES TO EXIF from our phones! Which means many sites without Cell service will still need the module (Who cares)...

Last edited by GlassJunkie; 06-17-2021 at 04:45 AM.
06-10-2021, 02:54 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote
So far very impressed. Sensor is so good, FA* F2.8s and 85 1.4 have left the building. NOW, I can use smaller glass (except for the DFA* 70-200 2.8 and the DFA 150-450). Now all I need is a new 16-50 PLM, and I'm done ...
Yeah, yeah, that's tough talk from someone who named themselves "GlassJunkie"!

I'm right there with you, brother.

06-10-2021, 03:41 PM - 3 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote
Which means many sites without Cell service will still need the module (Who cares)...
At least with my iPhone 8, cell service is irrelevant. I just spent five days in Badlands National Park, and there were plenty of times where I was on a hike with absolutely no cell service but perfectly good GPS signal both for my hiking trail app and for Image Sync.
06-11-2021, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
At least with my iPhone 8, cell service is irrelevant. I just spent five days in Badlands National Park, and there were plenty of times where I was on a hike with absolutely no cell service but perfectly good GPS signal both for my hiking trail app and for Image Sync.
GPS is very good and accurate even in ’offline’ .
06-11-2021, 06:06 PM   #22
Pentaxian

As far as I know, cell service is needed only for fetching maps - if you don't need maps ......

06-11-2021, 07:15 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I find it difficult to maintain the bluetooth or wifi connection between my phone (android) and K3iii. If I turn the camera off to change lenses for instance, I need to reconnect.
06-11-2021, 07:27 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I find it difficult to maintain the bluetooth or wifi connection between my phone (android) and K3iii. If I turn the camera off to change lenses for instance, I need to reconnect.
On my trip, I typically went hiking with the D FA 150–450, DA* 11–18, and DA 40 Ltd (or the DA 55–300 PLM in place of the bazooka for my longest hike) and swapped lenses multiple times on each hike without needing to reconnect my iPhone to my camera (except when I underestimated the time the hike would take and the background transmission time selected in Image Sync expired).
06-12-2021, 09:37 AM   #25
Pentaxian

On my trip, I typically went hiking with the D FA 150–450, DA* 11–18, and DA 40 Ltd (or the DA 55–300 PLM in place of the bazooka for my longest hike) and swapped lenses multiple times on each hike without needing to reconnect my iPhone to my camera (except when I underestimated the time the hike would take and the background transmission time selected in Image Sync expired).
So you specify on the iPhone how long the connection can be absent without being lost for both WiFi and BluTooth??
06-13-2021, 01:58 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So you specify on the iPhone how long the connection can be absent without being lost for both WiFi and BluTooth??
This is Android version - but expect IOS version is similar:
Attached Images

06-13-2021, 05:42 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
This is Android version - but expect IOS version is similar:
The trick is to make sure the connection is Bluetooth, not wifi. The wifi connection does not survive the phone sleeping or the camera turning off.
06-14-2021, 01:24 AM - 2 Likes   #28

The K3III does still vibrate in some shutter speed ranges.
But I still can't get as much trash as the DPR sample.
The fact is: when I remote control the shutter with WiFi on my mobile phone and set 2-second delay self timer, everything becomes very harmonious.
Oh, maybe my cheap tripod and tripod head are much more noble than DPR's laboratory equipment.
At least in my eyes, DPR show its ignorance and arrogance once again - when they are testing the PENTAX gear.
06-14-2021, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
What the next K-1 will not be or have, is the fun factor of this K-3III.
I don't quite follow this, unless it is the size factor you refer to, which I don't think you do. Why would an updated K-1 III with the improvements (mutatis mutandis) be less fun? The OVF, the AF, the legacy lenses, it would all be there. What wouldn't be there is what was in your wallet...
06-14-2021, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lemono Quote
The K3III does still vibrate in some shutter speed ranges.
But I still can't get as much trash as the DPR sample.
The fact is: when I remote control the shutter with WiFi on my mobile phone and set 2-second delay self timer, everything becomes very harmonious.
Oh, maybe my cheap tripod and tripod head are much more noble than DPR's laboratory equipment.
At least in my eyes, DPR show its ignorance and arrogance once again - when they are testing the PENTAX gear.
It's clear there is an issue involving horizon correction on the K-3 Mark III. Set horizon correction on, timer on, shutter to something around 1/100th and the resulting photo looks swirlier than a Lensbaby or a Helios. I tested this a few days ago, even made a preset called Helios Sim.