Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2021, 10:20 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Ricoh WG-7

'Ricoh are going to announce the WG-7 in the near future. The body colour is black and red.'

Source: Nokishita Camera

06-14-2021, 11:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I hope that's not the only thing they're going to announce...
06-14-2021, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Who knows.
They might want to spread the releases.

WG might need a real update though, doesn't seem like it got anything really meaningful for years IMO.
06-15-2021, 12:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I'm not optimistic - the WGs are outsourced AFAIK, and currently more or less a consumer version of the rugged G-series compacts.
I don't see a real desire to compete (which I guess is understandable).

06-15-2021, 12:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm not optimistic - the WGs are outsourced AFAIK, and currently more or less a consumer version of the rugged G-series compacts.
I don't see a real desire to compete (which I guess is understandable).
Yeah I get that but we'd have at least things to discuss
06-15-2021, 01:06 AM - 2 Likes   #6
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
About 6 months ago, Ricoh sent a survey out to registered users about the WG series. It was asking about their level of satisfaction and desired features. This was the first time I'd seen specific questions about WG in one of their surveys. I took a quick look at the questions, but didn't answer since it was aimed at actual users and I've never owned one.

At the time I thought they must be trying to decide one of two things:
1. Whether to stop or continue the series as a whole
2. Whether there is potential to do something more interesting with the series

Given the model number suggests more of the same, I wouldn't get hopes up about a big change. However, Ricoh is basing their decisions about the line on market research, rather than blind assumption.

Ricoh has a few sub brands - Pentax, GR, WG, Theta. They don't seem to mix announcements unless there is a event. So I would expect Pentax products to be announced separately.

Still, there is something comforting about the "business as usual" nature of a WG release. If nothing else, WG keeps Ricoh's foot in the door of some retailers that only sell low-end cameras in Japan, and it is a good "My first camera" for kids.
06-15-2021, 01:32 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I don't think they'll give up on the WG (unless they aren't selling them at all), its fate being tied with the rugged G series.

06-15-2021, 01:41 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I had an early WG once. I got it for some underwater photography, but that didn't work out because it's low light capacities were inadequate at the time (I'm talking back in 2009). I expect this has changed, and with the BSI sensor introduction, I guess a lot will have improved. Did the last WG already have a BSI sensor?

For a specific need, this is still a valid complimentary to another camera.
06-15-2021, 01:52 AM   #9
JPT
Pentaxian

Crazy thought - I wonder what impact an accelerator unit could have on a small sensor. Highly unlikely to happen, I know. But if it works for a large sensor, wouldn't it work for a small sensor just as well? And Bill Claff is unlikely to come anywhere near a WG camera with his truth-telling line graphs.

Last edited by JPT; 06-15-2021 at 02:06 AM.
06-15-2021, 01:55 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Crazy thought - I wonder what impact an accelerator unit could have on a small sensor. Highly unlikely to happen, I know. But if it works for a large sensor, wouldn't it work for a small sensor just as well? And Bill Claff is unlikely to come anywhere a WG camera with his truth-telling line graphs.
That would be interesting, but it means going back to making them in-house?
06-15-2021, 02:13 AM   #11
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That would be interesting, but it means going back to making them in-house?
Well, I know nothing whatsoever about it, and I think it is unlikely. However, it seems to me that using the accelerator to make a poor sensor less bad is just as valid as using it to make a good sensor better. I first thought about this when reading a discussion about the prospects of another Q model. Also very unlikely, but hypothetically how close could they get to micro four thirds performance using that kind of technique?

Back to reality - This is probably a WG-6 with a new paint job.
06-15-2021, 02:53 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Didn’t Olympus take their variant down to 12 Mp from 20 just to improve low light sensitivity?

It’s the same lens as the Ricoh, IIRC...

-Eric
06-15-2021, 05:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Bill Claff is unlikely to come anywhere near a WG camera with his truth-telling line graphs.
Is Bill Claff the “Photons To Photos” guy?
If so, have no fear - “Photons To Photos” already includes the accelerator-equipped KP in their comparisons, so that alone should not affect its inclusion.
06-15-2021, 05:26 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Huh... a WG-7 with a, say, 1/1.3" modern smartphone module and shorter zoom might be much more desirable. Like Alex says that'd mean in-house development so I guess we'll see the same old same old...
06-15-2021, 05:39 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Being able to save files in RAW format would be a big improvement.