06-24-2021, 08:41 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Probably some sort of industrial imager

06-24-2021, 09:36 AM   #17
Pentaxian

The new GPS module for use on the K3 Mk III ?
06-24-2021, 09:51 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The GR rumours have been going for a while. Considering the relative success of the line perhaps they are keen to push another model.
06-24-2021, 09:57 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I heard a recent rumor for the WG cameras. A GR with a different lens would be really nice, but I'm not holding my breath for it. A monochrome model would be a little silly. But I'd still try it.

06-24-2021, 10:27 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The new GPS module for use on the K3 Mk III ?
According to the Indonesian registration it's a Ricoh-branded digital camera, not a Pentax-branded accessory.
06-24-2021, 11:16 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
I heard a recent rumor for the WG cameras. A GR with a different lens would be really nice, but I'm not holding my breath for it. A monochrome model would be a little silly. But I'd still try it.
Why silly ?
06-24-2021, 12:17 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Why silly ?
Because the cost would be the same as that could also do color. Why cripple it? Unless there is a pure monochrome sensor, that should cost a lot less.

06-24-2021, 12:43 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Because the cost would be the same as that could also do color. Why cripple it? Unless there is a pure monochrome sensor, that should cost a lot less.
A monochrome GR would obviously be without the Bayer filter and result in pixelshift like resolution. Monochrome cameras have more dynamic range and better resolution than bayer (or x-trans) cameras based on the same sensor. It's only crippled if you want colour.

The GR could work well as monochrome imho. Quite a few people use it mostly in BW mode. The camera is also already very niche and limited (in the best possible way) so a monochrome sensor would kind of make sense.

I don't think Ricoh would do that though. There was those ~40mm patents and I think that's more likely even though I think 28mm is great for fixed lens cameras.
06-24-2021, 12:56 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Monochrome cameras have more dynamic range and better resolution than bayer (or x-trans) cameras based on the same sensor. It's only crippled if you want colour.
Minus the fact that lens CA can't be corrected on the monochromatic sensor, and sometimes lens CA can as large as two pixels or more. CA correction on the color raw file increases resolution of de-saturated monochrome image output.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 06-24-2021 at 01:04 PM.
06-24-2021, 02:17 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
A monochrome GR would obviously be without the Bayer filter and result in pixelshift like resolution. Monochrome cameras have more dynamic range and better resolution than bayer (or x-trans) cameras based on the same sensor. It's only crippled if you want colour.
Very cool, though not what one usually thinks about for street photography, though perhaps now is the time.

Steve
06-24-2021, 02:31 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Minus the fact that lens CA can't be corrected on the monochromatic sensor, and sometimes lens CA can as large as two pixels or more. CA correction on the color raw file increases resolution of de-saturated monochrome image output.
but ‘Street Photography’ - said to be a strong-suit of the GR - is often done in monochrome {perhaps for traditional reasons}, and I doubt if CA is a real issue for ‘Street Photographers’.
06-24-2021, 02:32 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Very cool, though not what one usually thinks about for street photography, though perhaps now is the time.

Steve
An awful lot of street photography is BW. Without any statistics I'd say it's the most BW genre out there If you mean the resolution, then yes it's traditionally not a critical aspect of street photography. Particularly not japanese. Pixelshift and Are-Bure-Bokeh aren't what you think about at the same time...

Minus the fact that lens CA can't be corrected on the monochromatic sensor, and sometimes lens CA can as large as two pixels or more
There's very little CA with a GR lens in my experience with the GRII. The GR lenses are way better than the Pentax ones at similar FOV for some reason.
06-24-2021, 02:36 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

CA correction on the color raw file increases resolution of de-saturated monochrome image output.

Not my experience and I do a ton of monochrome conversions many of which involve captures with CA. LaCA correction is done by interpolation and application of Gaussian blur, even if done from RAW. The results may be more acceptable, but the twig not captured due to masking by CA does not magically appear. (Yes, strange as it seems, the missed focus of CA is not redeemable in that it replaces data.)

Steve

(...proof --> https://www.flickr.com/photos/28796087@N02/albums/72157707141678854 ...)
06-24-2021, 05:46 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Wasn't there a rumor about a new GR?
I though there was. I was reading rumors of a new GR with a 40mm (or thereabouts) lens.
06-24-2021, 07:12 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I though there was. I was reading rumors of a new GR with a 40mm (or thereabouts) lens.
Is it also rumored to have a “FF” sensor?
Approximately 40mm is what I would expect a “FF” ‘Street photo’ camera to have.