Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
06-25-2021, 01:12 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
A monochrome GR would obviously be without the Bayer filter and result in pixelshift like resolution. Monochrome cameras have more dynamic range and better resolution than bayer (or x-trans) cameras based on the same sensor. It's only crippled if you want colour.

The GR could work well as monochrome imho. Quite a few people use it mostly in BW mode. The camera is also already very niche and limited (in the best possible way) so a monochrome sensor would kind of make sense.

I don't think Ricoh would do that though. There was those ~40mm patents and I think that's more likely even though I think 28mm is great for fixed lens cameras.
Exactly.

And as rumours concerning a 40mm GR it is clear that this is 40mm equivalent, as the current GR is 28mm equivalent.

06-25-2021, 01:32 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Not my experience and I do a ton of monochrome conversions many of which involve captures with CA.
Incorrect statement from my part. Resolution doesn't improve after CA correction. I should have written that having printed B&W converted with and without CA correction from a color raw file, shows that CA correction of a color raw file does improve how fringed edges look like in B&W. Practically, CA correction allow me to print color or b7w images larger.
06-25-2021, 03:13 AM   #33
Pentaxian

A GR FF would be interesting, and certainly the only pocket FF (like apsc). I would guess not cheap ...
06-25-2021, 03:28 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nonpigliounoshoot Quote
A GR FF would be interesting, and certainly the only pocket FF (like apsc). I would guess not cheap ...
Or MF! Would be cool to see how far/small they could take it. Best possible fixed lens at 28mm equiv and smallest possible body.

06-25-2021, 03:46 AM   #35
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think the monochrome GR is a possibility. I know the idea heads been kicked around in the company at least since the GR Digital days.

I think the appeal would be conceptual than practical. The idea that you buy a camera that forces you to shoot in monochrome would appeal to some.

The full frame GR on the other hand is about questionable. Is the idea that you get better high ISO performance? Or shallower depth of field? The former is not much of a problem with modern sensors and the latter could be achieved with a faster lens on APS-C. In the case of fixed lens cameras, the case for full frame is weaker than for ILCs in my opinion.
06-25-2021, 03:58 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The full frame GR on the other hand is about questionable. Is the idea that you get better high ISO performance? Or shallower depth of field? The former is not much of a problem with modern sensors and the latter could be achieved with a faster lens on APS-C. In the case of fixed lens cameras, the case for full frame is weaker than for ILCs in my opinion.
I agree that it's questionable. I'm tickled by the idea of a fixed lens camera with absolutely brutal IQ though. The smoothest most epic shots from the smallest possible body. Just one fov, click, smoooth wiiide glorious. click
06-25-2021, 09:05 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
A monochrome GR would obviously be without the Bayer filter and result in pixelshift like resolution. Monochrome cameras have more dynamic range and better resolution than bayer (or x-trans) cameras based on the same sensor. It's only crippled if you want colour.

The GR could work well as monochrome imho. Quite a few people use it mostly in BW mode. The camera is also already very niche and limited (in the best possible way) so a monochrome sensor would kind of make sense.

I don't think Ricoh would do that though. There was those ~40mm patents and I think that's more likely even though I think 28mm is great for fixed lens cameras.
Monochrome sensors in practice have yet to convince me from anything I've seen. When it comes down to it, the GRIII is so good, both in terms of lens and sensor, that a monochrome sensor wouldn't produce that much of an improvement for most users. Plus, it takes away the ability to edit individual color channels for monochrome images, and it's hard to lug around the extra adapter necessary to put true color filters in front of the lens. It's just not a practical feature, and wouldn't provide much noticeable advantage. Again, I would probably still get one, just for the "purity" of being limited to B&W. And because I love the GR. But I would vastly prefer a different focal length.

06-25-2021, 10:25 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
Again, I would probably still get one, just for the "purity" of being limited to B&W.
Because of this ^^^ they could make it a special edition, and see how it goes.
06-25-2021, 10:49 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Monochrome sensors in practice have yet to convince me from anything I've seen. When it comes down to it, the GRIII is so good, both in terms of lens and sensor, that a monochrome sensor wouldn't produce that much of an improvement for most users. Plus, it takes away the ability to edit individual color channels for monochrome images, and it's hard to lug around the extra adapter necessary to put true color filters in front of the lens. It's just not a practical feature, and wouldn't provide much noticeable advantage. Again, I would probably still get one, just for the "purity" of being limited to B&W. And because I love the GR. But I would vastly prefer a different focal length.
I wouldn't get one simply because I hate having just one focal length available - I got free of that limitation in 1979 when I got my first {Pentax} SLR -
but Ricoh won't ask me or you - they would go that way if and only if their Japanese base likes the idea.
06-25-2021, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Because of this ^^^ they could make it a special edition, and see how it goes.
Or call it a "Limited"...

I like the idea of the GR. I doubt I'll ever get one, but it's cool that the market exists for something simple and premium, yet not absurd.

-Eric
06-25-2021, 07:11 PM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
And several years later when our hair became grey due to the stress caused by anticipation a new camera saw the light . Unfortunately it had no flippy screen and no EVF.
Thank Goodness...!
06-25-2021, 10:28 PM   #42
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting news
06-26-2021, 12:51 AM   #43
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
ust for the "purity" of being limited to B&W
I think that would be the appeal for some people. The GR has a lot of purists who like the stripped-down nature of the camera. Some much feel having a B&W only model is an even better example of that philosophy.
06-26-2021, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I wouldn't get one simply because I hate having just one focal length available - I got free of that limitation in 1979 when I got my first {Pentax} SLR -
but Ricoh won't ask me or you - they would go that way if and only if their Japanese base likes the idea.
I'm always at my best with one focal length - it just isn't always the one I'm currently using. I have "phases" between 28mm, 35mm and 40/50mm.
06-26-2021, 01:23 PM   #45
Pentaxian

I'm always at my best with one focal length - it just isn't always the one I'm currently using. I have "phases" between 28mm, 35mm and 40/50mm.
I most often shoot series. Almost never stand alone images. I find that using one focal length really helps tying the images together. I rarely do single lens now but think about going back quite often.