Photos: Gallery
DA*16-50 PLM image samples anyone?

08-06-2021, 05:19 AM - 2 Likes   #242
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
DA*16-50 PLM image samples anyone?
There are some here but only one at full size.

?????? HD PENTAX-DA?16-50mmF2.8ED PLM AW @ review vol.1 ? ??? DA ? ?????????????? - ????

And more here.

https://news.mapcamera.com/KASYAPA/pentax-1650/
08-06-2021, 05:51 AM   #243
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
I am also not a native speaker so it was double combo
Over time I realized that.
I read/write NO language other than English, but I thought that restating the facts as I saw them might be helpful.
08-06-2021, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #244
Veteran Member

Ah, ok. I thought that 20-40 was designed for lower resolution sensors and would lack details (be creamy/smudged) on new bodies. I do not search for perfect lens, I photograph mostly old buildings, streets and some architectural details or insides of museums with such lens.

Thanks for clarification, so 20-40 is back in game I will need to think hardly if I want to spend such amount of money for walkaround lens, or get cheaper Limited.

The 20–40 Limited is a very nice lens for APS-C. I think you’re conflating sensor size (APS-C, full frame, micro four-thirds, etc.) with sensor resolution. As a DA lens, the 20–40 Limited has issues if used on full frame, but it does nicely on my K-3 iii.

08-06-2021, 06:28 AM   #245
Pentaxian

Ah, ok. I thought that 20-40 was designed for lower resolution sensors and would lack details (be creamy/smudged) on new bodies. I do not search for perfect lens, I photograph mostly old buildings, streets and some architectural details or insides of museums with such lens.

Thanks for clarification, so 20-40 is back in game I will need to think hardly if I want to spend such amount of money for walkaround lens, or get cheaper Limited.

The 20-40mm is a very nice lens and my copy is sharp wide open at both ends of the zoom range, though I'm having trouble getting the AF fine-tuning to work well at both ends.
08-06-2021, 10:02 AM   #246
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The mapcamera on has some decent photos. The yaotomi shows that a great lens won't save your photos. Though the flower ones look fine.
08-07-2021, 07:29 AM   #247
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
There are some here but only one at full size.
Cool! Someone went for a trip to Nara. The images look good! And now I see the price - about AUD$2,200 or around USD$1,600.

08-08-2021, 06:33 AM   #248
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Cool! Someone went for a trip to Nara. The images look good! And now I see the price - about AUD$2,200 or around USD$1,600.
Under 2K here mate! Pentax HD DA 16-50mm F2.8ED PLM AW Lens 28030 | Ricoh Australia
$400 cheaper than the 11-18/2.8???
08-08-2021, 03:47 PM   #249
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Under 2K here mate!
Oh! I didn't realise that CRK had listed it already. That's good news.

PS CRK prices are generally lower than retail in Japan. The only time it was been worth buying from Japan for me is for things which weren't sold in Australia at the time. US prices of course are generally the lowest anywhere (although CRK is actually competitive on some lenses, especially when you take shipping and GST into account).
08-08-2021, 06:40 PM   #250
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
CRK is actually competitive on some lenses, especially when you take shipping and GST into account
....and import duty for more expensive lenses.
08-08-2021, 06:49 PM   #251
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
....and import duty for more expensive lenses.
I don't think there is a duty on cameras or lenses any more? But paying 10% GST on top of US taxes is bad enough.

PS Interesting that CRK list the lens as a back-order when as far as I know there's never been stock available. It's more of a pre-order than a back-order.
08-08-2021, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #252
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Back-order, pre-order: call it what you like. I have ordered one
TBH I haven't bought an expensive item from overseas for a while now, so you might be right about the import duty situation.

P.S. I just had a quick look around. It seems that import duty is still a thing for items valued >$1000
As an aside, warranty issues can become a bit fraught when you have bought overseas. That's another reason I now buy cameras and lenses locally.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 08-08-2021 at 07:05 PM.
08-08-2021, 07:09 PM   #253
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
"DA Ltds were made with lower resolutions in mind" primarily in the sense that the eight-element Takumar 50mm f/1.4 was made with lower resolutions in mind.
Wasn't the eight element Takumar billed as the Planar killer - which suggests something rather different?
Anyway, the differentiation between limited and star lenses is asynchronous with that lens.
Only in hindsight does it look like a character lens — I have one — but that was not necessarily its design plan at the time.

I'm keeping mine due to a few memories even though i no longer use it that often. It suffers from flare.
08-08-2021, 07:59 PM   #254
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Wasn't the eight element Takumar billed as the Planar killer - which suggests something rather different?
My point was that it was a small {49mm filter} lens, and certainly wasn’t perfect - no corner-to-corner sharpness and other ‘issues’ that would be ‘unacceptable’ today. But it did have real character - so it was very much like the “Limiteds” of today - and in that day, it was more than ‘acceptable’.
In fact, those ‘imperfections’ may actually add to the ‘character’.

added: when I first learned to photograph we didn’t use hoods, and avoided situations when the sun was in front of us.
I suspect that the Takumar users followed similar standards, so flare often didn’t have a chance to be an issue. The ‘Limited’ lenses tend to also have tiny or no hoods, and are best used when the sun is “behind” you.

Last edited by reh321; 08-08-2021 at 08:26 PM.
08-08-2021, 08:54 PM   #255
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Back-order, pre-order: call it what you like. I have ordered one
Nice! I can't wait to see the results! I might hold off until there's a 10% discount on everything - which might not be until black friday.

QuoteQuote:
TBH I haven't bought an expensive item from overseas for a while now, so you might be right about the import duty situation.
P.S. I just had a quick look around. It seems that import duty is still a thing for items valued >$1000
The link I previously provided said not?

QuoteQuote:
As an aside, warranty issues can become a bit fraught when you have bought overseas. That's another reason I now buy cameras and lenses locally.
That's why I only buy cameras here, and lenses generally likewise. Ironically, the Sigma lens I bought from HK was faulty.