Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2009, 06:50 AM   #46
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: west coast USA
Posts: 206
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Iīm a newbie & fairly set on the K200D as the DSLR for me but I do realise that itīs a fairly old design now by modern standards. The K-m / K2000 really doesnīt do it for me. Would it be a bad move to get a K200D now?
If it helps, I did the same research and got a K200D anyway in Feb. Price was a major factor, but after going through many reviews and comparing things, it still shook out as the best option for me. (Incidentally, the lowest prices I could find were at the beginning of the year. They've mostly gone up since, although not by a tremendous amount. I suspect there isn't much more discounting to do for it, though)

A lot of what sold me is true for most Pentax DSLRs, but for K200D vs K-m: weather seals, selectable focus points, wired remote socket, a couple more controls/buttons, top LCD. Things that are flexible tend to appeal to me.

I have no regrets about my decision whatsoever. When the K300 (or whatever) comes out, I'm sure I'll drool over it for a bit, but then I'll just go back to being happy with my K200D. Similarly, I'm aware of a lot of the specs on competing cameras, but none of them honestly matter to me right now.

It doesn't feel old to me; the Nikon D40 took that honor

Really, it's a current and mature model. The sensor came from the previous top-of-the-line (K10D) with refinements, the customization capabilities and on-camera processing seem a match for most others out there, and the overall operation of the camera feels polished. I was surprised to discover that it was out of production; I can understand some of the business/marketing reasons, but I would still choose it over the other models any day.

If you step back and look at what's being done with each generation of camera from most manufacturers in broad strokes, you'll be able to see the pattern of improvements. Figuring out which parts of that pattern are important to you might help sort out the sense of whether it's out-of-date or not, as well as what's likely to come in a K300.

I think it's worth sorting that out, since if you feel like your camera is missing something, you won't be happy using it...

Again though, I'm pleased with my K200D and wouldn't trade it for any other DSLR right now.


Last edited by Quension; 04-24-2009 at 06:59 AM.
04-24-2009, 10:38 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,801
QuoteOriginally posted by Quension Quote
Again though, I'm pleased with my K200D and wouldn't trade it for any other DSLR right now.
Same here.

For the $$$ it has a great feature set, especially the AA batteries and their versatility and utility, the weather sealing, the overall build quality, and especially the top LCD, a feature often cut from similar models. I find the latter particularly appealing.

The K200D is an ideal mid-range model comparing nicely in price and features to the other brands. To compete any upgrade will likely require Live View, perhaps an articulated LCD with more resolution, and maybe HD video. It does not need a bigger sensor with more MP's. Staying with the mirror vs. the prism is fine for this price range.It could use the AF.C/S switch found on its higher end brother, and moving the focus point options to a separate, external control would be ideal. The general issues about Pentax bodies needing to update AF speed and focus assist IR stand as improvements that would be ideal sooner rather than later.
04-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #48
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Posts: 851
K200D is officially toast. My dad just tried to order one through a local store in Canada and Pentax Canada told the store the camera was "out of production". He'll either have to find one online or pick a different camera.
04-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #49
Veteran Member
OregonJim's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Willamette Valley, Oregon
Posts: 1,329
QuoteOriginally posted by vk4akp Quote
I have a K200D but the viewfinder is definately lacking.

AA power is great. I refuse to buy a custom lithium powered device any more.

Please add Pentaprism to the k200D and bring out a new kick ass model.

.-.-.
The pentamirror is not so bad. I switch between K200D and ME Super (best viewfinder ever) all the time. You get used to it.

I do love the AA batteries though.

-.-. --.-

04-26-2009, 03:02 AM   #50
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 4,112
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Same here.

For the $$$ it has a great feature set, especially the AA batteries and their versatility and utility, the weather sealing, the overall build quality, and especially the top LCD, a feature often cut from similar models. I find the latter particularly appealing.

The K200D is an ideal mid-range model comparing nicely in price and features to the other brands. To compete any upgrade will likely require Live View, perhaps an articulated LCD with more resolution, and maybe HD video. It does not need a bigger sensor with more MP's. Staying with the mirror vs. the prism is fine for this price range.It could use the AF.C/S switch found on its higher end brother, and moving the focus point options to a separate, external control would be ideal. The general issues about Pentax bodies needing to update AF speed and focus assist IR stand as improvements that would be ideal sooner rather than later.
It sounds like the things I like about the K200D are the same things you like, and they're unique to this model in this price range. Live view, video, articulated screen etc - these are less important for me. I would prefer improvements in what I would regard as more imortant areas - speed, external controls, general flexibility etc, but in the current climate (& judging by the relatively new K-m / K2000) Pentax have decided to follow Canon, Nikon & Olympus in this regard rather than continue with the apparent phiilosophy of the K200D - higher quality & fewer high-appeal "gimmick" features.

QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
K200D is officially toast. My dad just tried to order one through a local store in Canada and Pentax Canada told the store the camera was "out of production". He'll either have to find one online or pick a different camera.
Maybe this is (so far) limited to Canada & the US. I've checked with one e-tailer in the UK & they have said that as far as they know the K200D is is still a current camera & they have plenty of stock. Mind you, they also told me that an advantage of the GX10 over the K200D is weather-proofing... Anyway, a few e-tailers seem to have it in stock so I don't think it'll disappear in the next 6 weeks.
04-26-2009, 03:04 AM   #51
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 4,112
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
The pentamirror is not so bad. I switch between K200D and ME Super (best viewfinder ever) all the time. You get used to it.

I do love the AA batteries though.

-.-. --.-
I was wondering if the K200D viewfinder magnifier might help improve things? No moe light but a larger image.
04-26-2009, 07:56 AM   #52
Veteran Member
dws1117's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spring, TX.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,157
QuoteOriginally posted by Quension Quote



I think it's worth sorting that out, since if you feel like your camera is missing something, you won't be happy using it...
For some that will be true no matte what model they use.
04-26-2009, 09:04 AM   #53
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,199
QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
K200D is officially toast. My dad just tried to order one through a local store in Canada and Pentax Canada told the store the camera was "out of production". He'll either have to find one online or pick a different camera.
It may be officially out of production. However, there are few camera stores whose word I'd take as gospel about Pentax. I was told 20 years ago that Pentax was out of business.

As far as stock goes, BH and Adorama still have some in stock. BH is body only. Plus, Pentax USA still lists it and have it available as well.

Digital SLR Cameras - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

It isn't "official" until it is official. It is speculation. Everything goes out sooner or later.

04-26-2009, 05:38 PM   #54
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangkok, Thaland
Posts: 80
In Bangkok, Thailand the K200d is out of stock. What is on the shelves is the K2000. It seems that Pentax is pushing the K2000. I'm lucky that I got mine last January.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k200d, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-x AF vs K200D AF alexulo Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 05-15-2010 11:39 AM
From K200d to K7 lurchlarson Pentax DSLR Discussion 21 04-29-2010 06:06 AM
K200D - Need Help! IJCoolen Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 02-06-2010 12:29 PM
k200d nutkasse Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 12-13-2009 06:30 PM
Just got my K200D matlock Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 02-09-2009 12:11 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:16 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top