Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2008, 01:12 AM   #1
Inactive Account

is k200d exiting?

it hears that there are few k200d left in asia for more than two weeks.
is k200d exiting?
and when will the k300d comes out?

11-29-2008, 06:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by supero Quote
it hears that there are few k200d left in asia for more than two weeks.
is k200d exiting?
and when will the k300d comes out?
Hadn't heard the rumor, but it matches what happened with the K10D last year. Correspondingly, we'll probably see new models announced at PMA in early March and actual cameras for sale not long after that.
11-29-2008, 07:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Two model stratagy

The pricing of the K200D verses the K2000 sure makes it look like it's on the way out. I mentioned that in another thread. Right from the beginning I've been saying the k200D didn't make any sense from a marketing standpoint. For Pentax there is not enough room. The k20D is a great camera at the $700-$800 level. The K2000 will do nicely at $350-$400.

The question then becomes, IMO, is Pentax going to sticks with those two through the next 12 months because of economic conditions, or will they bring out an upscale model in the spring/summer. It appears Hoya has been working hard at trimming the fat and maybe even a little bone in hopes of making Pentax profitable even if it means much less volume. Putting the emphasis on more lenses at a bigger profit and forgetting about a new body would not be a bad way to go at this point.

My bet is the K200D is history and we won't be seeing a new body until late next fall.

Ken
11-30-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In current situation, K200D is on the way out IMO indeed.

That doesn't mean however, that there will be 2 cameras only in the future, Pentax might do:

* K-m -> K300D -> K30D

or

*K-m -> K30D -> K3D

11-30-2008, 08:12 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Hadn't heard the rumor, but it matches what happened with the K10D last year. Correspondingly, we'll probably see new models announced at PMA in early March and actual cameras for sale not long after that.
That's what I heard. BTW, I also heard that the K30D (or whatever name it receives) will not use the current K10/K20 body.
12-01-2008, 02:47 AM   #6
Forum Member

It's official it's exiting. It's in the "discontinued" model list of Pentax Japan:

Digital SLR Camera Lineup (Discontinued Model) : Digital Cameras : Imaging Systems Division : PENTAX
12-01-2008, 04:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thats a shame - I think it fills the gap between what I've read about the K-M/K2000 and the K20D nicely.

Hope the support for the K200D (firmware upgrades etc) continues as it has for the K1xx models.

12-01-2008, 04:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
That's what I heard. BTW, I also heard that the K30D (or whatever name it receives) will not use the current K10/K20 body.
Probably the case. Fashion dictates that they cram a larger LCD on there.

Like a lot of us, I feel like the K10D/K20D pretty much nailed it — hope it's not a step back.
12-01-2008, 07:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm considerring selling my already second hand K10D to get a K200D just for AA support. But now that I got spoiled with pentaprism I don't thik I can do with pentamiror. Darn, where is that "just right" camera?
I hope they have a sucessor for K200D with pentaprism and better sensor while they keep the AA batteries. Perhaps K30D will have AA support hence the new (smaller) body design
12-01-2008, 08:13 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
so sorry

it`s so sorry
in fact the k200d fully fill the gap of k20d and k-2000,
and so many people like it.
but pentax stopped it.
12-01-2008, 08:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
Perhaps K30D will have AA support hence the new (smaller) body design
I think you're dreaming if you want this
The problem is you need a lot of energy for higher FPS. I'm surprised the K2000/m can go as fast as it can. The K30D has to go at least 5fps to match competitor's specs...
12-01-2008, 08:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Probably the case. Fashion dictates that they cram a larger LCD on there.

Like a lot of us, I feel like the K10D/K20D pretty much nailed it — hope it's not a step back.
Agreed! I don't want anything larger, just a few improvements. I still don't think we have to worry about it until this time next year because it's going to be that long before Hoya let's them bring a new body to the market.

Ken
12-01-2008, 08:59 AM   #13
RaduA

Some of the points I think are interesting:

1) K200D is discontinued only in Japan because K-m seems more suited for that market and K200D is much more popular on other markets. Also K-m will arguably bring more profit to Pentax from a mixed of reasonable price and lower production costs;
2) A K200D succesor will 100% exist and I start to think that this camera will be the first product of Pentax-Samsung alliance with more input from Samsung than Pentax. Remember that Samsung has no equivalent of either K200D or K-m so they are pretty much incapable to make significant inrods in market share with the G20 only;
3) I also think that KxxxD will be the first model build by Samsung also in its own factories (maybe exclusively there?);
4) I see the KxxxD being the SMALLER model that a Samsung official talked about although most people think this about the K20D succesor.
5) I see this KxxxD model a direct competitor to the Rebel 450D (we like it or not the king of the hill in upper-entry level segment) with a strong LV function, mayme movie mode and LiIon battery. All those added to the classic Pentax strenghts (SR, ws, low NR) but in a new more compact and rounded body.
6) If I was Pentax/Samsung I chose the current 14Mp sensor for this KxxxD to create a very competent camera for the future. If they will make a new 12Mp sensor chances are that the noise and DR characteristics will surpass those of the K20D which is bad if they don't have a premium camera ready soon;
7) From the chatter I heard my conclussion is that Pentax is 100% focused on the high end of the market so my speculative conclussion is that Pentax will design the KxxD and 645D and Samsung will be responsible for the KxxxD and both DSLR will have common NEW parts (processor and AF system). Thus they could manage a Q2 launch for both models.

Regards,
Radu
12-01-2008, 09:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I think you're dreaming if you want this
The problem is you need a lot of energy for higher FPS. I'm surprised the K2000/m can go as fast as it can. The K30D has to go at least 5fps to match competitor's specs...
That remains to be seen. R&D can conceivably churn out 5 FPS+ using AA's, I think. It's probably a bigger question if AA's can support live view and video recording (future trends) while keeping AA battery life decent.

I wouldn't be as concerned as much with proprietary batteries if Pentax submitted their battery as an ISO standard and was accepted as such, just so there'd be less worry about Pentax and OEMs discontinuing production of the K10/20D batteries in the future.

QuoteOriginally posted by supero Quote
it`s so sorry
in fact the k200d fully fill the gap of k20d and k-2000,
and so many people like it.
but pentax stopped it.
I'm pretty sure many people liked the K200D. I know I do. But how many sales have it generated for Pentax is the key whether we'd still see a successor to the K200D or not.

The combination of AA batteries and weather-seals, plus the relatively very affordable price (comparing MSRPs between all cameras) is why I'm using one now.
12-01-2008, 09:29 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
I still don't think we have to worry about it until this time next year because it's going to be that long before Hoya let's them bring a new body to the market.
That's the old Pentax pace. I think and hope that the influence from Hoya and Samsung is leading towards a faster paced model cycle.

I can't see the need for an K200 now. Sure some people would prefer it but in numbers it can't be many. My guess is a K300 and a K30 in Q2. Both lifted half a notch meaning the K30 will be positioned in the same class as nikon D300.