Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2008, 04:01 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Someone should sent them a email that states if they don't know what they are talking about they should keep there mouths shut. Like our parents used to tell us.. ( If you don't have something Intelligent to say then keep your mouth shut)

11-29-2008, 06:03 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
All I can say is they need to RTFM... egregious mistakes all around. I posted encouraging all YouTube video vieweres to write to the editors to report these two "experts"
11-29-2008, 07:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, they were up their own arses...
11-30-2008, 12:08 AM   #19
Inactive Account

People, people, people.

You all seem to make the assumption that Wired is a knowledgeable source of technological information. It is not. It is not, in any way, a tech publication.

Atomic MPC, say, is a tech publication. (Ok, it's probably not known outside Australia, but, then again, I don't know many foreign technology-oriented magazines.)

Wired is a techno-fashion magazine. It bears the same relation to techonolgy as Cosmopolitan bears to the cotton farming or wool industries.

It's a magazine for techno-yuppies and digital hipsters. See those two reviewers? That rip in the right dude's jeans probably cost $80.

If Wired were a person, it would be, hell, one of those two guys. Late-twenties (which is somehow consider old and wise, but young enough to appear "hip"), or at least they'd look late-twenty-ish, thanks to thousands of dollars spent on men's skin products. Remember that scene were Christian Bale explains his character's morning routine in American Psycho?

It possesses some weird Swiss machine dedicated to maintaining the perfect length of stubble, all day long.

It would own a Blackberry for business, and lined up for twenty hours to get the iPhone. It would heavily imply - even state - that it works in IT, no matter how nebulous the connection to industry - such as selling mobile phone plans.

It would claim to be a minor guru in the field of computers, only because it owns every product Jobs - the techno-yuppie's god made flesh - put out. Even the Newton. Were you to ask it any computer-related question, like a magic 8-ball filled with glue, the answer would always be "Get a Mac!"

That is why it has never RTFM.

It hates Microsoft, but secretly admires Bill Gates, a guilty pleasure always tempered by the fact he shagged Apple royally and roughly in the early years, and left it near-catatonic, scrubbing its skin red-raw under a cold shower, whimpering softly.

It wants you to know it recycles, and reuses. Eats organic fruit and vegetables, grown with a one-hundred mile radius of its place of residence. Own a bike, takes public transport, and only uses its Prius on journeys longer than 20km, and still better than someone who doesn't own a car.

Of course, it does none of these things when no one is looking. Honestly believes that the recycling bin really gets recycled all the time.

Believes in freedom of religion; hides when the Mormons come a-knocking. Signs petitions, attends protests, but does little else for its causes. Votes for a party that has a beer's chance at an AA meeting of ever getting in, or getting any seats.

Eats at restaurants that only give prices to one decimal place; never orders a drink that has less than two whole digits in the price. Has six credit cards.

Its iPods are full of mostly two types of music: "ironic" ("Hah! Spice Girls!") and "stuff you probably haven't heard of..." ("...it's sort of acoustic-folk-jazz.") The rest is probably Radiohead, Daft Punk, and Bjork.

Claims it once hallucinated off a shot of absinthe. Owns a Rickenbacker, no amp, used mainly as furniture, adds to the decor.

Thinks Japan has the greatest culture ever. Shrinks into a small, mute shadow in the presence of anyone who is actually Japanese. Implies it's on a first-name basis with William Gibson.

Likes to think its degree in Humanities has more to do with technology than you might think. Knows a guy who's cousins with someone who worked for Rand Miller. Slept with John Romero.

Doesn't want anyone to know it wasn't actually born in the city.

Sits in Starbucks, writing on a laptop.

Wasn't born in time for Woodstock, but made it to Woodstock '99.

Probably owns a Leica Digilux.

In short, is a total and utter ******. Wouldn't know its arse from someone else's elbow when it comes to technology.

11-30-2008, 12:18 AM   #20
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lithos, that's the best post I've read in... well ever. Wow.
11-30-2008, 01:37 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I'd like to ad to this list, but probably I'm covered myself in some of those modernisations...

Either way... that whole video was sooo lacking in technical content...

"you shot, err. well, we shot together errr.. what day is it? blah blah crap"
who cares who shot?, what were your experienced findings?

It's hard to express how annoying this crap was for me.. no mention of the lens used for semi macro etc...

Don't buy Samsung! seems to be the message...

I guess Samsung suffer the same fate as Sony in this regard, no respect from "cool dudes".
11-30-2008, 02:06 AM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Lithos, that's the best post I've read in... well ever. Wow.
Heh. Three years of studying Creative Writing hasn't gone to waste.

Wait. Yes it has. I could write like that before I started studying.

Far too many grammatical errors, it's basically stream of consciousness from a very, very tired conscious.

I think that "review" said more about the reviewers than the camera.

It's classic Wired - drop a few technical terms they have no real comprehension of ("Hmm. 'RAW format'. I should use that somewhere.") and wait for the cool to roll on in.

Beyond the errant bagging of the camera, there's very little substance. They took, what, two minutes to say the images were blurry (I'm assuming because there was luminance noise, or because of the lens, or a focus screwup on their or the camera's part) but failed to explain why they think they were.

It's just trend monitoring, and, by natural extension (or the logical conclusion) advertising. That's all Wired does, really. What's hot, what's not.

I've got a mate who actually does work in IT (and can't stand Apple computers because of it) running databases and webpages and the odd CS server, who, for some reason, subscribes to this bloody rag. It's basically a pseudo-geek version of GQ or Cosmo (or Men's Health, but less homoerotic), monitoring (and making) fashion. What to buy, what not to buy - but at any rate: CONSUME!

Anyway, I'd bet that they got their jobs because the guy on the right is shagging the editor and the guy on the left is selling the editor weed.

11-30-2008, 03:05 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Someone should sent them a email that states if they don't know what they are talking about they should keep there mouths shut. Like our parents used to tell us.. ( If you don't have something Intelligent to say then keep your mouth shut)
You took the words out of my mouth. I was going to suggest that as well. Has anyone their e-mail address? I'll write them a "Little Note" if you get my meaning...
11-30-2008, 03:34 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Email addresses are about a third of the way down this page, right side
11-30-2008, 07:36 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lithos, possibly the best post this year.
wow
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #12 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #13. Any brand camera. Ending soon. Enter now!
11-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
I dunno, I imagine my spring is about ready to wear out on the micro SD door. Maybe they have a point.
Hell, they couldn't even figure out that it take regular sized SD cards, not micro.
11-30-2008, 10:49 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
People, people, people.

You all seem to make the assumption that Wired is a knowledgeable source of technological information. It is not. It is not, in any way, a tech publication.

Atomic MPC, say, is a tech publication. (Ok, it's probably not known outside Australia, but, then again, I don't know many foreign technology-oriented magazines.)

Wired is a techno-fashion magazine. It bears the same relation to techonolgy as Cosmopolitan bears to the cotton farming or wool industries.

It's a magazine for techno-yuppies and digital hipsters. See those two reviewers? That rip in the right dude's jeans probably cost $80.

If Wired were a person, it would be, hell, one of those two guys. Late-twenties (which is somehow consider old and wise, but young enough to appear "hip"), or at least they'd look late-twenty-ish, thanks to thousands of dollars spent on men's skin products. Remember that scene were Christian Bale explains his character's morning routine in American Psycho?

It possesses some weird Swiss machine dedicated to maintaining the perfect length of stubble, all day long.

It would own a Blackberry for business, and lined up for twenty hours to get the iPhone. It would heavily imply - even state - that it works in IT, no matter how nebulous the connection to industry - such as selling mobile phone plans.

It would claim to be a minor guru in the field of computers, only because it owns every product Jobs - the techno-yuppie's god made flesh - put out. Even the Newton. Were you to ask it any computer-related question, like a magic 8-ball filled with glue, the answer would always be "Get a Mac!"

That is why it has never RTFM.

It hates Microsoft, but secretly admires Bill Gates, a guilty pleasure always tempered by the fact he shagged Apple royally and roughly in the early years, and left it near-catatonic, scrubbing its skin red-raw under a cold shower, whimpering softly.

It wants you to know it recycles, and reuses. Eats organic fruit and vegetables, grown with a one-hundred mile radius of its place of residence. Own a bike, takes public transport, and only uses its Prius on journeys longer than 20km, and still better than someone who doesn't own a car.

Of course, it does none of these things when no one is looking. Honestly believes that the recycling bin really gets recycled all the time.

Believes in freedom of religion; hides when the Mormons come a-knocking. Signs petitions, attends protests, but does little else for its causes. Votes for a party that has a beer's chance at an AA meeting of ever getting in, or getting any seats.

Eats at restaurants that only give prices to one decimal place; never orders a drink that has less than two whole digits in the price. Has six credit cards.

Its iPods are full of mostly two types of music: "ironic" ("Hah! Spice Girls!") and "stuff you probably haven't heard of..." ("...it's sort of acoustic-folk-jazz.") The rest is probably Radiohead, Daft Punk, and Bjork.

Claims it once hallucinated off a shot of absinthe. Owns a Rickenbacker, no amp, used mainly as furniture, adds to the decor.

Thinks Japan has the greatest culture ever. Shrinks into a small, mute shadow in the presence of anyone who is actually Japanese. Implies it's on a first-name basis with William Gibson.

Likes to think its degree in Humanities has more to do with technology than you might think. Knows a guy who's cousins with someone who worked for Rand Miller. Slept with John Romero.

Doesn't want anyone to know it wasn't actually born in the city.

Sits in Starbucks, writing on a laptop.

Wasn't born in time for Woodstock, but made it to Woodstock '99.

Probably owns a Leica Digilux.

In short, is a total and utter ******. Wouldn't know its arse from someone else's elbow when it comes to technology.
You've a lot of time on your hands, don't you? great post

Have to disagree on bashing Radiohead, Daft Punk and Bjork though!

Last edited by ricardobeat; 11-30-2008 at 10:50 PM. Reason: forgot my opinion on the video: LOL
12-01-2008, 07:33 AM   #28
Veteran Member

left guy: "14mp for $1400. That's how much? I'm not good at math."
right guy: "That's $100 per mp"

12-01-2008, 07:38 AM   #29
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Sent you a PM Ben.
12-01-2008, 08:06 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Lithos, i like the william gibson reference, "claims to be on a first name basis with", thats a very powerful sentence! kudos.