Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2008, 08:14 AM   #31
Banned

the guy on the right said, that it would compete with the lower level canon and nikons. and that you can use 'several' pentax lenses on it. oh jeez. and why in the hell would you use SR with 1600 ISO? and what, you cant figure out how to turn off noise reduction? hello, manual where art thou? I agree with the bullshit part. biggest pile of shit ever. this makes CNET reviews look good.

12-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #32
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
People, people, people.

You all seem to make the assumption that Wired is a knowledgeable source of technological information. It is not. It is not, in any way, a tech publication.

Atomic MPC, say, is a tech publication. (Ok, it's probably not known outside Australia, but, then again, I don't know many foreign technology-oriented magazines.)

Wired is a techno-fashion magazine. It bears the same relation to techonolgy as Cosmopolitan bears to the cotton farming or wool industries.

It's a magazine for techno-yuppies and digital hipsters. See those two reviewers? That rip in the right dude's jeans probably cost $80.

If Wired were a person, it would be, hell, one of those two guys. Late-twenties (which is somehow consider old and wise, but young enough to appear "hip"), or at least they'd look late-twenty-ish, thanks to thousands of dollars spent on men's skin products. Remember that scene were Christian Bale explains his character's morning routine in American Psycho?

It possesses some weird Swiss machine dedicated to maintaining the perfect length of stubble, all day long.

It would own a Blackberry for business, and lined up for twenty hours to get the iPhone. It would heavily imply - even state - that it works in IT, no matter how nebulous the connection to industry - such as selling mobile phone plans.

It would claim to be a minor guru in the field of computers, only because it owns every product Jobs - the techno-yuppie's god made flesh - put out. Even the Newton. Were you to ask it any computer-related question, like a magic 8-ball filled with glue, the answer would always be "Get a Mac!"

That is why it has never RTFM.

It hates Microsoft, but secretly admires Bill Gates, a guilty pleasure always tempered by the fact he shagged Apple royally and roughly in the early years, and left it near-catatonic, scrubbing its skin red-raw under a cold shower, whimpering softly.

It wants you to know it recycles, and reuses. Eats organic fruit and vegetables, grown with a one-hundred mile radius of its place of residence. Own a bike, takes public transport, and only uses its Prius on journeys longer than 20km, and still better than someone who doesn't own a car.

Of course, it does none of these things when no one is looking. Honestly believes that the recycling bin really gets recycled all the time.

Believes in freedom of religion; hides when the Mormons come a-knocking. Signs petitions, attends protests, but does little else for its causes. Votes for a party that has a beer's chance at an AA meeting of ever getting in, or getting any seats.

Eats at restaurants that only give prices to one decimal place; never orders a drink that has less than two whole digits in the price. Has six credit cards.

Its iPods are full of mostly two types of music: "ironic" ("Hah! Spice Girls!") and "stuff you probably haven't heard of..." ("...it's sort of acoustic-folk-jazz.") The rest is probably Radiohead, Daft Punk, and Bjork.

Claims it once hallucinated off a shot of absinthe. Owns a Rickenbacker, no amp, used mainly as furniture, adds to the decor.

Thinks Japan has the greatest culture ever. Shrinks into a small, mute shadow in the presence of anyone who is actually Japanese. Implies it's on a first-name basis with William Gibson.

Likes to think its degree in Humanities has more to do with technology than you might think. Knows a guy who's cousins with someone who worked for Rand Miller. Slept with John Romero.

Doesn't want anyone to know it wasn't actually born in the city.

Sits in Starbucks, writing on a laptop.

Wasn't born in time for Woodstock, but made it to Woodstock '99.

Probably owns a Leica Digilux.

In short, is a total and utter ******. Wouldn't know its arse from someone else's elbow when it comes to technology.
Lithos, That was a great post! But growing up my family had a saying: It takes one to know one!
12-01-2008, 11:19 AM   #33

Photos: Gallery
lithos? you have to do that piece to camera and send it to them.
12-01-2008, 11:22 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow...

First off:
Lithos...amen...amen...AMEN!

Second. I think those guys probably forgot to take the camera off the auto setting...

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't be surprised if they were paid off by canon or nikon for that review. Such things are not unheard of. Pentax camera's do provide stiff competition as far as getting the most bang for the buck.

12-01-2008, 11:22 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
House I second that motion.
12-02-2008, 02:25 AM   #36
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DUH....
The sun shines even for them (unfotunately - if I may say so...)
12-02-2008, 05:36 AM   #37
Veteran Member

People, people, people.

You all seem to make the assumption that Wired is a knowledgeable source of technological information. It is not. It is not, in any way, a tech publication.

Atomic MPC, say, is a tech publication. (Ok, it's probably not known outside Australia, but, then again, I don't know many foreign technology-oriented magazines.)

Wired is a techno-fashion magazine. It bears the same relation to techonolgy as Cosmopolitan bears to the cotton farming or wool industries.

It's a magazine for techno-yuppies and digital hipsters. See those two reviewers? That rip in the right dude's jeans probably cost $80.

If Wired were a person, it would be, hell, one of those two guys. Late-twenties (which is somehow consider old and wise, but young enough to appear "hip"), or at least they'd look late-twenty-ish, thanks to thousands of dollars spent on men's skin products. Remember that scene were Christian Bale explains his character's morning routine in American Psycho?

It possesses some weird Swiss machine dedicated to maintaining the perfect length of stubble, all day long.

It would own a Blackberry for business, and lined up for twenty hours to get the iPhone. It would heavily imply - even state - that it works in IT, no matter how nebulous the connection to industry - such as selling mobile phone plans.

It would claim to be a minor guru in the field of computers, only because it owns every product Jobs - the techno-yuppie's god made flesh - put out. Even the Newton. Were you to ask it any computer-related question, like a magic 8-ball filled with glue, the answer would always be "Get a Mac!"

It hates Microsoft, but secretly admires Bill Gates, a guilty pleasure always tempered by the fact he shagged Apple royally and roughly in the early years, and left it near-catatonic, scrubbing its skin red-raw under a cold shower, whimpering softly.

It wants you to know it recycles, and reuses. Eats organic fruit and vegetables, grown with a one-hundred mile radius of its place of residence. Own a bike, takes public transport, and only uses its Prius on journeys longer than 20km, and still better than someone who doesn't own a car.

Of course, it does none of these things when no one is looking. Honestly believes that the recycling bin really gets recycled all the time.

Believes in freedom of religion; hides when the Mormons come a-knocking. Signs petitions, attends protests, but does little else for its causes. Votes for a party that has a beer's chance at an AA meeting of ever getting in, or getting any seats.

Eats at restaurants that only give prices to one decimal place; never orders a drink that has less than two whole digits in the price. Has six credit cards.

Its iPods are full of mostly two types of music: "ironic" ("Hah! Spice Girls!") and "stuff you probably haven't heard of..." ("...it's sort of acoustic-folk-jazz.") The rest is probably Radiohead, Daft Punk, and Bjork.

Claims it once hallucinated off a shot of absinthe. Owns a Rickenbacker, no amp, used mainly as furniture, adds to the decor.

Thinks Japan has the greatest culture ever. Shrinks into a small, mute shadow in the presence of anyone who is actually Japanese. Implies it's on a first-name basis with William Gibson.

Likes to think its degree in Humanities has more to do with technology than you might think. Knows a guy who's cousins with someone who worked for Rand Miller. Slept with John Romero.

In short, is a total and utter ******. Wouldn't know its arse from someone else's elbow when it comes to technology.

i have to quote this. i have to quote this. i have to quote this. i have to quote this. i have to quote this. i have to quote this.

thanks lithos

its really fun to read.

12-02-2008, 08:13 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Lithos, that's the best post I've read in... well ever. Wow.
I swear I am not trying to blow my horn. Send them to my web site and that should put a different slant on their paradigm.
12-02-2008, 08:52 AM   #39
Banned

Ben, you could put a different slant on anyone's paradigm.
12-02-2008, 08:23 PM   #40
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ben's paradigm is slightly slanted anyway but that's why his work is so good and different.

Btw, they got my letter 4 days ago and have not responded in any way. So we may as well move on.
12-02-2008, 08:59 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Hah, I love how that guy commented that the K-mount could accept "several pentax lenses"... He is obviously not familiar with the serious dedication to backwards compatibility. Oh well, some people don't get it.
12-04-2008, 04:06 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Arpaagent, I don't think they're very big on "backwards compatibility" at WIRED...
12-04-2008, 09:34 AM   #43

People, people, people.

not only is the greatest post regarding Wired Mag ---- the funny thing is that I subscribe to it because it only costs $12 per year and once in a great while there is something of interest to read.

you hit the nail on the head with this one ---- someone should shoot a copy of this post over to Wired and see if it gets printed in the next issue LOL

kman
12-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #44
Inactive Account

No.

If I'm ever gonna get my throat slit whilst blindfolded and tired to a chair, I don't want it done by pasty hipsters.

Down here, the mag costs $14.95. Per issue.
12-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Greatest post ever!

Yes and $15 per issue just confirms .... rip off Australia. I am looking at a LCD TV for my mum, 37 inch Panasonic, it's $800 in Canada so about $1,100AUD ... in OZ ... $2,200!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!