Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2008, 05:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Worst review ever

Jon Snyder, Associate photo editor, wired.com shares his opinions about the Samsung GX20 in a video feature, published here:
Gadget Lab - Widescreen

I normally refrain from comments like this, but I have to say:
"What a pile of bullshit"
Enjoy

11-29-2008, 06:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it was a review I would agree... it's just like you say a pile of bullshit, and that's not even fair for bullshit.
11-29-2008, 06:52 AM   #3

Now I'm going to have watch the thing to see if bullshit is really being given a bad name.

A tiny little bit of info and a smattering of opinion, but a largely a facile, lightweight , amateurish attempt at presenting and speaking. Absolutely NO content as far as I can see that would constitute a 'review'. Yup, I have to agree it was a BIG, BIG pile...

Last edited by HouseOfHorla; 11-29-2008 at 07:06 AM. Reason: [rant]
11-29-2008, 08:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Look...I just used my K20D under very difficult lighting conditions to say the least. Of course these were in RAW and I find the dynamic range to be very good. It is certainly better than the Canon D50. As I am not familiar with the Samsung and how the camera has been programmed for JPEG output, I cannot comment. The K20D is up there with the rest and can easily produce spectacular images if in the hands of a competent photographer as can be said for it's direct competition. I am able to pull astounding detail out of the K20D when using a good lens and the correct exposure. Perhaps the person using the camera is not familiar with lighting, exposure etc.

If there was a problem with the output of the K20D we would not be having this discussion. I would have changed to a more appropriate tool.

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 11-30-2008 at 02:59 AM.
11-29-2008, 09:29 AM   #5

Just watched it. These guys really have no clue. They are obviously not that savvy when it comes to Ccamera tech.
11-29-2008, 09:46 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I dunno, I imagine my spring is about ready to wear out on the micro SD door. Maybe they have a point.
11-29-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
The K20D is up there with the rest and can easily produce spectacular images if in the hands of a competent photographer as can be said for it's direct competition.

Ben
Looking at your portfolio, this is a statement that will be very difficult to argue against! I am just floored by your work.

11-29-2008, 11:14 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I was actually laughing to myself throughout this review. The fact that he said SR didnt work very well was just too much. Seriously. Pretty sad to call this a "review"

edit- Did anyone else catch the fact is says it shoots 9fps?
11-29-2008, 11:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tyler Quote
I was actually laughing to myself throughout this review. The fact that he said SR didnt work very well was just too much.
The really funny thing here is that they used it at ISO 1600 and got fast shutter speeds.
But with fast shutter speeds one doesn't need SR. SR is intended for *slow* shutter speeds, using it with fast shutter speeds misses the point with it.
Utterly useless but very entertaining.
11-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Wow, that was pretty bad. Sounds like a guy who doesn't actually know basic photography trying to justify why he couldn't get expected results out a camera he isn't familiar with...
11-29-2008, 12:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It's a shame to see some idiot whose supposed to be an expert trash a good product (I didn't even look at the review), but I would expect such crap from Wired. They do have good articles from time to time, but I once saw them write up a 15' flat-water touring kayak as a white-water boat. This is like calling a 300mm lens a fisheye... insane.
11-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #12
cyg

That was actually pretty funny.

Some of my favourite moments:
- "It's a 1400$ camera" [was it ever that expensive?]
- "Does it take a SD card? It takes a micro SD card." [!]
- "[Samsung] *claim* that this is sand- and water-sealed"
- "It *says* it has image stabilization built in. [Other guy:] That's not quite the case, is it?"
- "High ISO, fast shutter speed -- there was still motion blur"
... and on the closing credits: "9 FPS Continuous shooting" [!!]

I swear I'm not making any of this up -- check it out!
11-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #13
Pentaxian

It was two piles. They sat next to each other.
11-29-2008, 03:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

>FUD Sensors Activated
>FUD Detected
>Massive FUD Detected
>Please put me out of my misery, Dave
>.
>.
>.
>Terminating Video
11-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
It was two piles. They sat next to each other.
Love your wit.

What I saw was a guy who has no idea what he's doing with a camera, full of factual errors and blaming his small brain on the camera.