Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2021, 07:34 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I just hope any preordered lens gets out to the buyer quicker than the distribution of the preorders for the K 3 III

good luck
I hope so too... esp for mine...

07-28-2021, 02:14 PM   #17
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
and I disagree with you. My wife and I are living on a "fixed income" these days - I'm not sure how long the stated amount would feed us, but it would be a "significant amount of time" in my eyes. My current camera is a KP, which I purchased only when it came down to $700. I cannot imagine my even thinking of purchasing the HD 16-50mm f/2.8 PLM lens at the release price; I doubt if I would even purchase it at 10% off.The only way I can think of it is if @Adam; or someone else would give it to me - and that is not very likely. There is simply not that much room for "luxuries" in our retirement budget - for us this is a significant amooount - and we are typical of retired folk in the US.

added: yes, we do save some - but not for luxuries, for unexpected expenses like medical emergencies or to fix our house, since we know exactly what our income will be into the distant future.
I'm not sure I understand the focal point of your disagreement, but you're talking as if everybody's situation is identical to yours, and that no one with any sort of financial constraints would ever buy an item such as this lens. I have no doubt that such a conclusion would be incorrect. Anyway, I don't see this as a subject worthy of much debate.
07-28-2021, 03:02 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I'm not sure I understand the focal point of your disagreement, but you're talking as if everybody's situation is identical to yours, and that no one with any sort of financial constraints would ever buy an item such as this lens. I have no doubt that such a conclusion would be incorrect. Anyway, I don't see this as a subject worthy of much debate.
My words speak for themselves.
Some of us simply do not have the funds to purchase this lens, no matter how you label it.
This would not be a "luxury" purchase for me, like getting a good steak.
This is a statement of fact - nothing to "debate".
07-28-2021, 04:37 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can I just remind everyone that this thread is about the release of a much anticipated new lens in the Pentax lineup?

Let's keep the discussion on topic.

07-28-2021, 05:02 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

and I disagree with you. My wife and I are living on a "fixed income" these days - I'm not sure how long the stated amount would feed us, but it would be a "significant amount of time" in my eyes. My current camera is a KP, which I purchased only when it came down to $700. I cannot imagine my even thinking of purchasing the HD 16-50mm f/2.8 PLM lens at the release price; I doubt if I would even purchase it at 10% off.The only way I can think of it is if @Adam; or someone else would give it to me - and that is not very likely. There is simply not that much room for "luxuries" in our retirement budget - for us this is a significant amooount - and we are typical of retired folk in the US.

added: yes, we do save some - but not for luxuries, for unexpected expenses like medical emergencies or to fix our house, since we know exactly what our income will be into the distant future.
Now Now, RE I'm pretty sure things aren't that dire in your household. My wife and I are also on fixed incomes and we are able to build our savings and still buy pretty much what we want when we want it. My wife had a severe stroke at 64 and we lost 6 years of her income but we have done pretty well for the past 13 years. The key is to be debt free when you reach your chosen retirement age. I retired at 70 and at 75 we are able to build or savings and enjoy life, except for this current medical/political detour we are currently experiencing.
07-28-2021, 07:05 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Now Now, RE I'm pretty sure things aren't that dire in your household. My wife and I are also on fixed incomes and we are able to build our savings and still buy pretty much what we want when we want it. My wife had a severe stroke at 64 and we lost 6 years of her income but we have done pretty well for the past 13 years. The key is to be debt free when you reach your chosen retirement age. I retired at 70 and at 75 we are able to build or savings and enjoy life, except for this current medical/political detour we are currently experiencing.
Then we choose to not spend so much on a particular "luxury". That lens is eye-watering expensive, and it is unreasonable to view it as just another 'luxury', as though I could purchase this special use device at no real permanent "cost". The 'opportunity cost ' of purchasing it is forgoing many other luxuries, and it is not so special to me to forgo all those other uses {going out to dine instead of eating at home, touring places instead of staying home, purchasing new furniture instead of keeping the current stuff, modifying the house instead of making no change, etc}. The main use of it can be seen only by looking at two photos - one being a photo taken via my current DA 20-40 Ltd lens mounted on my KP and one taken via the new lens mounted on my KP - and seeing the minute differences between the two,

Last edited by reh321; 07-28-2021 at 07:16 PM.
07-29-2021, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is an expensive lens. It is also a very nice one. Each person has to make their own decisions about the wisdom of spending such a some on gear and whether it is worth it to them.

I tend to view purchases like this in a "pro-rated" fashion. So, I think to myself that I will be using said glass for at least 10 years, so the cost per year is only 150 dollars. Not so bad when many are paying more than that for services like Netflix and Disney Plus (I don't have either). But we all choose what we will spend money on.

(I would love to see Pentax release a full frame, Pentax designed 24-70 --either f2.8 or f4, doesn't matter which -- with the same design features as this lens).

07-29-2021, 03:25 AM   #23
Pentaxian

That lens is eye-watering expensive
That basically only is a statement about personal finances.

In today's world, where ILC are openly aimed at rich enthusiasts first and foremost, the price levels for OEM lenses are:

low price = 1-1000 EUR
middle/normal price = 1000-2000 EUR
high price = 2000-5000 EUR

3rd parties have to undercut same spec OEMs by 30-50% to have any chance.
Small makers (such as Pentax) basically have to charge a premium.

"eye-watering expensive" from a marketing perspective will begin at 100+mm front element lenses, which typically will start around 10,000 EUR when introduced to the market today.
That is 300/2.8, 400/4, 600/4 style lenses.

That is bad for us, but it works that way regardless.
07-31-2021, 05:07 PM - 3 Likes   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reynb Quote
I`ll get one! Straight after I win Lotto tonight.
A $10 lotto ticket per week sets you back $500 per year! A quarter of the way to this lens.
08-13-2021, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
A $10 lotto ticket per week sets you back $500 per year! A quarter of the way to this lens.
Yet it robs you of the dream...
08-17-2021, 03:04 PM   #26

Original Poster
Dream comes true, I looked at the Pentax Australia website this morning and find out they are doing 10% off including the new DA 16-50 F2.8 PLM lens, I reckon they are doing the Father's Day sales, be quick and act
08-18-2021, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kinkindoll Quote
Dream comes true, I looked at the Pentax Australia website this morning and find out they are doing 10% off including the new DA 16-50 F2.8 PLM lens, I reckon they are doing the Father's Day sales, be quick and act
I got my K-3 mkIII via the Ricoh website. They offered me $200 off this lens if I buy through them again. I'm tempted. I mean...I paid the bucks for the nicest APS-C they make. It only makes sense to have the best glass for it right?
08-18-2021, 11:49 AM - 3 Likes   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got the same offer and my lens arrived today. Quick reaction: it is lighter than I expected and seems to focus very quickly. Only a little bigger than my trusty SMC DA* 16-50.
09-02-2021, 01:25 PM   #29

Original Poster
Hey all, any date to be available in Australia ? It said 3rd Sept before but now the due date is changed to 29 Oct 2021, two more months to wait
09-02-2021, 03:41 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kinkindoll Quote
Hey all, any date to be available in Australia ? It said 3rd Sept before but now the due date is changed to 29 Oct 2021, two more months to wait

That's probably for any new orders from now, most likely all their initial ones have been pre-ordered, and allocated , very similar to the K-3III release. Hopefully people who ordered them will see them soon.