Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
07-26-2021, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #1

New HD 16-50mm F2.8 PLM Pre-order in Australia

Hey our Aussie Pentaxian,

just look around the Pentax Australia website and found the new HD DA *16-50mm F2.8 PLM is on their website, it is on backorder and the due date is mid of Sept, the price is AUD1980.

Who will pre order this star lens ?

07-26-2021, 07:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I wonder if it will ever be offered in a bundle with the K-3III as a Kit??????
07-26-2021, 07:37 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe? Kits don't really make that much sense with expensive lenses though, it'll usually just be the retailer bundling them together.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-27-2021, 03:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I`ll get one! Straight after I win Lotto tonight.

07-27-2021, 04:05 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the info, I will be ordering as soon as the next 10-15% off sale is on
07-27-2021, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I did promise I'd pre-order on day one....

Seriously though, I see this lens as essential to my rationalised kit going forward. I've been "making do" with the DFA24-70 on the K-1 for a while, but I now see APS-C as my zoom lens format of the future.
07-27-2021, 08:40 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I just hope any preordered lens gets out to the buyer quicker than the distribution of the preorders for the K 3 III

good luck

07-27-2021, 10:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Maybe? Kits don't really make that much sense with expensive lenses though, it'll usually just be the retailer bundling them together.
I notice that B&H kits no lens with the K-3iii.
The body alone costs plenty.
In most cases, some lens the purchaser already owns is 'worthy' enough to use with it.
07-27-2021, 01:24 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Thanks for the info, I will be ordering as soon as the next 10-15% off sale is on
Great idea to wait for the sales, hope it will be very soon.
07-27-2021, 01:34 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do without the desired lens for 6 months to save 10%? No wonder Pentax is low volumn.
07-27-2021, 05:25 PM   #11

Photos: Gallery
Interestingly, once the exchange rate is taken into account, it is cheaper to purchase from Pentax Australia than Adorama. I wonder if that is a consistent thing? ie is it always cheaper to buy from Pentax Australia than from overseas (to us) outlets?
07-27-2021, 05:40 PM   #12
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Do without the desired lens for 6 months to save 10%? No wonder Pentax is low volumn.
Your statement is unkind. 198 dollars can represent someone's food budget for a significant amount of time, Not everyone is in a position to view this amount as "nothing", especially for a non-essential item.
07-27-2021, 10:49 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Your statement is unkind. 198 dollars can represent someone's food budget for a significant amount of time, Not everyone is in a position to view this amount as "nothing", especially for a non-essential item.
I don't think he is unkind at all. You see, if 198 dollars "represent someone's food budget for a significant amount of time", buying such a lens isn't advisable (or possible, for that matter). We're talking about people for which the difference has a smaller impact.
07-28-2021, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #14
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't think he is unkind at all. You see, if 198 dollars "represent someone's food budget for a significant amount of time", buying such a lens isn't advisable (or possible, for that matter). We're talking about people for which the difference has a smaller impact.
I disagree.

"someone's food budget for a significant amount of time" is not meant to say that the person is starving. It just means that this amount is not insignificant.

Just because one cannot afford to buy such an item without consideration of financial implications, does not mean that one cannot treat him/herself to an occasional gift. Some people save for some time in order to buy something they want.
07-28-2021, 07:22 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I disagree.

"someone's food budget for a significant amount of time" is not meant to say that the person is starving. It just means that this amount is not insignificant.

Just because one cannot afford to buy such an item without consideration of financial implications, does not mean that one cannot treat him/herself to an occasional gift. Some people save for some time in order to buy something they want.
and I disagree with you. My wife and I are living on a "fixed income" these days - I'm not sure how long the stated amount would feed us, but it would be a "significant amount of time" in my eyes. My current camera is a KP, which I purchased only when it came down to $700. I cannot imagine my even thinking of purchasing the HD 16-50mm f/2.8 PLM lens at the release price; I doubt if I would even purchase it at 10% off.The only way I can think of it is if @Adam; or someone else would give it to me - and that is not very likely. There is simply not that much room for "luxuries" in our retirement budget - for us this is a significant amooount - and we are typical of retired folk in the US.

added: yes, we do save some - but not for luxuries, for unexpected expenses like medical emergencies or to fix our house, since we know exactly what our income will be into the distant future.

Last edited by reh321; 07-28-2021 at 07:31 AM.