Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2008, 01:32 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Another Conversation at a camera store

I went to our local camera store this week, bought a camera case and a polorizing filter and asked the manager if he was still trying to sell the K20 he had from about 2 months ago. He said the one he had in stock now was the forth he had ordered and that the K200s were going out the door about one a week.

This store has been around forever. Nikon shut him off about four months ago because he would not buy $10,000 of low end P&S cameras. So he is putting emphasis on Pentax as an alternative to Canon DSLRs which he also sells. Nikon must be feeling a pinch somewhere.

11-30-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So in 2 months a camera store sold 3X K20s and 8 K200s, even after pushing Pentax over Canon.

Nikon must be quaking in their boots.
11-30-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
So in 2 months a camera store sold 3X K20s and 8 K200s, even after pushing Pentax over Canon.

I didn't find that to be witty at all.
11-30-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I didn't find that to be witty at all.
I'm sure I wont lose any sleep over it.

11-30-2008, 02:56 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery

The fall down starts sometime just as the rise upwards has to start sometime.

Although some people just can't stop worrying about the glass being half empty, when in fact it is only half full.
11-30-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Oops, my "sneer-ometer" just went off.

No worries, like most forums, this one has an "ignore" list>
11-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #7
Banned

I'm sure I wont lose any sleep over it.
im sure you wont.

11-30-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I would like to see a camera store here in Tallahassee even carry Pentax . . . in fact it would be good to have a real camera store period. I think the OP's point was that there is a brick & mortar selling Pentax as an alternative.
11-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
The fall down starts sometime just as the rise upwards has to start sometime.

Although some people just can't stop worrying about the glass being half empty, when in fact it is only half full.

As long as my K10D keeps working I am happy to use it (and when I feel I am getting the best out of it then a K20D) but I just cannot understand this deep resentment members seem to have of other camera makes and anyone that dares to make fun of their brand.
And I'm not just talking Pentax here.
11-30-2008, 04:46 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I would like to see a camera store here in Tallahassee even carry Pentax . . . in fact it would be good to have a real camera store period. I think the OP's point was that there is a brick & mortar selling Pentax as an alternative.
Yep, that was my take on the OP as well with emphasis on the word "SELL". It is nice to know that if the product is available, the buyers are there. We are lucky here in the Portland area to have at least three friendly neighborhood camera stores that sell Pentax.

Steve
11-30-2008, 06:07 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Re: conversation

Most of you got my point.

A. We have one real camera store which took a hit when Nikon tried to coerce them into buying P&S Nikons at a price point which will force the store to sell these cameras at cost which is still higher than any other P&S outlet in town. Question is: is Nikon loosing sleep over selling its P&S lines? I do not know, but they lost a successful outlet for DSLRs over it.

B. The store always carried Pentax and even sold one occasionally when someone like me insisted on buying one. This after hearing that Nikon was best, Canon was acceptable and Pentax was for people who did not know better.

C. Now the store pushes Pentax as the affordable quality camera.

BTW. This store does not advertise except with an ad in the phone book. It is strictly word of mouth. So the # of Pentaxes sold is not bad.
11-30-2008, 09:00 PM   #12

Doesn't seem fair to say this without even knowing how many DSLRs they get sold over all.

If they sold 10 40D's and 20 XSi's I would think that this would be a good showing.
12-01-2008, 04:00 AM   #13
Inactive Account

As long as my K10D keeps working I am happy to use it (and when I feel I am getting the best out of it then a K20D) but I just cannot understand this deep resentment members seem to have of other camera makes and anyone that dares to make fun of their brand.
And I'm not just talking Pentax here.
Obviously you don't get the point.

The OP was making a point about about the marketing of cameras (on a PENTAX forums site) that seemed to indicate that Pentax marketing was making some inroads.

You are the only one mentioning resentment of other camera makes no one else mentioned it at all - perhaps you have some unresolved issues with your camera purchase.

Some of us on here are very interested in the marketing aspect of the camera business, just as some are interested in the tech side.
12-01-2008, 09:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
Obviously you don't get the point.

*snip*

You are the only one mentioning resentment of other camera makes no one else mentioned it at all - perhaps you have some unresolved issues with your camera purchase.
Hmm, interesting take on the matter at hand. Well-spotted, sir.
12-01-2008, 09:15 AM   #15
Banned

QuoteQuote:
that's what I spotted right from the get go, but didn't feel like getting into some petty argument over it.