Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 171 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2021, 08:44 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would like to see focusing improvements to the DA*300mm to keep up with the newer APS-C cameras but I don't need the extra weight and bulk of a DFA full-frame lens.

09-06-2021, 08:48 AM - 3 Likes   #47
Pentaxian

The DA* 300mm, despite the DA tag, is a FF lens.
09-06-2021, 09:18 AM   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
something to think about ....courtesy of asahi man
Do you have a link or was this a personal communication?

Steve
09-06-2021, 09:26 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
A link was posted earlier. That's about all the info from asahiman.

09-06-2021, 09:27 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The thing is, asahi man posts what Pentax is "researching", not necessarily what they are committed to releasing. He could be 100% correct in what he posts, but if Pentax decides to release only 1 out of 5 products they are considering, some folks criticize him for being "wrong".
Ok, I'll say then, that Pentax is developing 21mm limited, 135mm limited and 60mm macro limited.

If only one of these turns out true, well, you can't say that I was wrong...

On a more serious note.

Asahi man might be right about what Pentax is currently "researching", but even so, the amount of value of this info is debatable. It's not the first time we hear about full frame teleconverters, for example. I bet everyone that got excited about these few years ago, has since then abandoned the idea of seeing them anytime soon. It might not necessarily been asahi man's "fault", it's just, what's the point of mentioning things that don't even exist on the roadmap (which is also not that great of an indicator of where Pentax is going)? To get people excited about things, and then make them bitter when these never materialize?
09-06-2021, 09:34 AM   #51
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
A link was posted earlier. That's about all the info from asahiman.
I was sort of hoping that the OP would respond. Hinting at a rumor from somewhere and not providing the reference, even when prompted by the mods, is sort of strange. As for Asahi man...no, he was not always right.

Steve
09-06-2021, 10:14 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Asahi man might be right about what Pentax is currently "researching", but even so, the amount of value of this info is debatable. It's not the first time we hear about full frame teleconverters, for example. I bet everyone that got excited about these few years ago, has since then abandoned the idea of seeing them anytime soon. It might not necessarily been asahi man's "fault", it's just, what's the point of mentioning things that don't even exist on the roadmap (which is also not that great of an indicator of where Pentax is going)? To get people excited about things, and then make them bitter when these never materialize?
The post was clear about the status of the info. All obviously subject to being cancelled at any point. Its useless info for planning purchases but interesting info about Pentax current priorities.

You seem very concerned with managing disappointment which is fair but most probably won't have those issues.

09-06-2021, 10:24 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
They already have a superb optical design in the bag, the FA*200mm f/4 ED Macro...time to trot it out.
They could(should?) do that and FA*300/2.8 as well as 600/4 and Perhaps 250-600/5,6 while they are in full speed. (Any of those lenses) and they would be set for next 10yrs of demand and more
09-06-2021, 11:44 AM   #54
Pentaxian

The list is totally obvious. Exactly what’s missing in Pentax land and lenses that will actually sell. More interesting will be the timing.
09-06-2021, 12:33 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The list is totally obvious. Exactly what’s missing in Pentax land and lenses that will actually sell. More interesting will be the timing.
Surely. It is true, however, that 4 lenses have been released this year, perhaps one will be released within the year and a flag chamber. Every year a star has always come out ... maybe they do even earlier than is now commonplace.
09-06-2021, 01:10 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Steve
RobA_Oz confirmed the source.
I try to avoid unnecessary traffic / activities in the Cyberspace
09-06-2021, 01:16 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some of these lenses are obvious updates -- basically taking the DA * lenses into the present with regard to auto focus. DA *50-135 II makes sense and taking DA *200 and 300 and making them DFA * lenses makes a lot of sense too. Optically they are probably fine without much updating (the DA *200 needs a bit, it fringes quite a lot). Odd that I thought the DFA * wide angle was going to be 24 f1.4 not 35, but it's fine either way.
09-06-2021, 01:25 PM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Some of these lenses are obvious updates -- basically taking the DA * lenses into the present with regard to auto focus. DA *50-135 II makes sense and taking DA *200 and 300 and making them DFA * lenses makes a lot of sense too. Optically they are probably fine without much updating (the DA *200 needs a bit, it fringes quite a lot). Odd that I thought the DFA * wide angle was going to be 24 f1.4 not 35, but it's fine either way.
I believe 35mm is much more common in “FF” usage.
I’ve noticed that amongst Takumars, there are many more 35mm’s for sale than there are 24mm.
09-06-2021, 01:40 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I could not find any problem with DA*200 on K-1

Some of these lenses are obvious updates -Optically they are probably fine without much updating (the DA *200 needs a bit, it fringes quite a lot).
I took some photos with DA*200+K-1 for someone from this forum ( can not remember who ) about 4 years ago, all was fine.

Pentax K-1 DA*200 test | Flickr

DA*200 also works well with Pentax-F 1.7x AF Teleconverter on FF bodies.
09-06-2021, 01:42 PM   #60
Pentaxian

I wouldn't expect any non optical updates for more advanced glass. They might as well (or rather have to) improve the optics when redoing focusing etc. The HDFA35 was probably an exception. I've seen several japanese sites referring to it as a secret or hidden star lens. Makes sense so save that one as it's simple enough to become the budget option.

I guess a modern 35mm is an absolute must. So is a 24 but perhaps a tiny bit less of an absolute must particularly for a company such as Pentax. The DFA21 could perhaps be considered close enough to fill the 24 slot for now.