Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 171 Likes Search this Thread
09-08-2021, 08:03 AM   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If and only if Tamron stops making lenses for DSLRs. That's not a given.
AFAIK they have not really released any new DSLR lenses in the last couple years - but from that to discontinuing all production there's more than a couple steps.

09-08-2021, 09:55 AM   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Its pretty obvious why milcs are so attractive. They can discard old expectations and make cheaper products priced as if no shotcuts were taken. Saying that real wold performance looks pretty good in *some* of the lenses that cheat.
How is this relevant to what AsahiMan has predicted what Pentax will provide???
09-08-2021, 10:16 AM - 2 Likes   #138
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Tamron will probably stop making lenses for DSLR altogether at some point so Ricoh will need to develop alternatives for the Tamron made lenses in their line-up.
If they have a contract, Tamron will keep producing the lenses for Pentax as long as Pentax pays. And that's assuming Tamron is manufacturing the lenses, which is far from a given. The country of fabrication i often not the same between a Pentax-branded lens and a Tamron-branded lens!

They might stop developing NEW lenses, and probably will, but that's a different story altogether.

Its pretty obvious why milcs are so attractive. They can discard old expectations and make cheaper products priced as if no shotcuts were taken. Saying that real wold performance looks pretty good in *some* of the lenses that cheat.
I understand nothing about this post.
09-08-2021, 10:47 AM   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The country of fabrication i often not the same between a Pentax-branded lens and a Tamron-branded lens!
It is, however, the same country as Tamron for all the D FA rebadges (which, AFAIK, make up all the rebadges in production currently since the 18-270 is discontinued). The 24-70 and 15-30 are Made in Japan, and therefore are guaranteed to be assembled at the Tamron factory. The 70-210 is made in Vietnam in both cases, so theoretically it could be made in the Pentax factory.

I don't think the contracts will run out particularly soon, but I also don't think we'll ever get to know the specifics - it's all speculation at this point.

09-08-2021, 11:03 AM   #140
Pentaxian

I understand nothing about this post.
It's simply that the system change (dslr --> mil )created a space where the manufacturer could innovate in ways which were previously unthinkable. In the dslr space lenses would be compared to previous gen straight up and differences in build, tech and performance wouldn't be accepted as readily. The 5 ev vignette *could* be corrected in the late 2000's dslr lenses either in camera or in post. Technically it could have been done with the same results as a current milc lens. It wasn't done because people expected performance on par with lenses designed for film. The viewfinder darkening would be annoying but probably workable in many situations.

So milc's enabled a change in expectations as well as technical functionality. This change in expectations and tech has allowed some manufacturers to stay profitable despite dire markets.
09-08-2021, 11:06 AM   #141
Pentaxian

When will Canon and Nikon stop making DSLRs?

Date please. I don't entertain speculation.
People are missing the point here with the Sony 24-70. With a shorter registration distance the angle of the light coming from the lens will be at a much steeper angle and the image will typically be inferior. They need correction just to match DSLR images, not to exceed them. It's the downside of shorter registration distances. Far from an advantage to MILCs it's just another one of the reasons, MILCs have not been terribly competitive price wise. The proposed advantages just haven't materialized. In this way, it's actually better to use a 42-43 registration lens with an adapter, than it is to use an uncorrected lens designed with a shorter registration. Anyone who's ever seen a lens diagram and knows what it means can figure this out.

Last edited by normhead; 09-08-2021 at 01:35 PM.
09-08-2021, 11:25 AM   #142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When will Canon and Nikon stop making DSLRs?
Last year Canon announced they were suspending DSLR production for a number of models, ostensibly due, in part, to COVID. They also announced they have halted EF lens development and production. Canon did leave the door open to further DSLR & lens development if demand warranted it.

Nikon stated last year they were not abandoning DSLR, and have released 3 DSLR models since introducing the Z mirrorless line.

09-08-2021, 11:45 AM   #143
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's simply that the system change (dslr --> mil )created a space where the manufacturer could innovate in ways which were previously unthinkable. In the dslr space lenses would be compared to previous gen straight up and differences in build, tech and performance wouldn't be accepted as readily. The 5 ev vignette *could* be corrected in the late 2000's dslr lenses either in camera or in post. Technically it could have been done with the same results as a current milc lens. It wasn't done because people expected performance on par with lenses designed for film. The viewfinder darkening would be annoying but probably workable in many situations.

So milc's enabled a change in expectations as well as technical functionality. This change in expectations and tech has allowed some manufacturers to stay profitable despite dire markets.
5 EV vignette can't be corrected with cropping and aggressive dodging. That means that you are essentially shooting your corners at iso 3200. It may be possible to fix but it won't necessarily look good.

As far as MILC lenses being so awesome, some are and some aren't. The good ones aren't cheap and they certainly aren't small. Certainly not significantly smaller than SLR lenses with similar sharpness and apertures. The only exception is wide and ultra wide angles.
09-08-2021, 12:03 PM   #144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
5 EV vignette can't be corrected with cropping and aggressive dodging. That means that you are essentially shooting your corners at iso 3200. It may be possible to fix but it won't necessarily look good.

As far as MILC lenses being so awesome, some are and some aren't. The good ones aren't cheap and they certainly aren't small. Certainly not significantly smaller than SLR lenses with similar sharpness and apertures. The only exception is wide and ultra wide angles.
There's vignetting, and then there's vignetting. How much of the photo is essentially at ISO 3200? 20 pixels around the very edges, or like shooting an APS-C 8mm fisheye on the K-1 where half the frame is gone?
09-08-2021, 12:33 PM   #145
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

My post must have been unclear as you missed my points:

1. It was as easy 20 years ago to fix vignette in post, and almost as easy sooc, as it is today but it wasn't possible to sell lenses like that due to expectations. (leica exeption)
2. The break (mount, tech, viewfinder) enabled manufactures to change things to enable more profit per unit by building cheaper and charging more.

About milc lenses being awesome I don't know where you got that from in a post basically slagging them off for being overpriced profit makers for the brands. However it seems optical design/manufacture has made some leaps recently. It's difficult to disentangle what is general tech progressing and what is related to specific milc advantages since there has been so few dslr lenses produced in the last 3 years or so.

edit:
Just for fun we have two recent apsc lenses to compare! dslr vs milc! Do note 30 line pairs vs 45 line pairs for the GR. A tiny bit of a size difference as well though so...

DA*1650plm

GR IIIX (unfortunately some text is in white so illegible on white theme)

Last edited by house; 09-08-2021 at 12:43 PM.
09-08-2021, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #146
Pentaxian

[...]
GR IIIX (unfortunately some text is in white so illegible on white theme)
Is this any better???
Attached Images

09-08-2021, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Last year Canon announced they were suspending DSLR production for a number of models, ostensibly due, in part, to COVID. They also announced they have halted EF lens development and production. Canon did leave the door open to further DSLR & lens development if demand warranted it.

Nikon stated last year they were not abandoning DSLR, and have released 3 DSLR models since introducing the Z mirrorless line.
So does Canon suspending production a reflection of abandoning DSLR lens production or is this a reflection of a huge DSLR inventory that was produced expecting years more peak DSLR sales which never materialized. Unless Canon tells us how many years inventory they have in DSLR bodies and lenses, I'm not sure this announcement means a whole lot. If they have 5 years of inventory, then they don't need more development at the moment. They can kick it back into gear in a few years if there is demand. In the meantime, I'm sure they have tons of stuff to sell.

Last edited by normhead; 09-09-2021 at 04:50 AM.
09-09-2021, 05:10 AM   #148
Pentaxian

MILCs have not been terribly competitive price wise. The proposed advantages just haven't materialized.
To me the main advantage of mirrorless would be size, not price. Maybe I'm naive but I never expected manufacturers to lower cost.

Size CAN be made smaller, however, and often is.
09-09-2021, 05:18 AM - 2 Likes   #149
Pentaxian

To me the main advantage of mirrorless would be size, not price. Maybe I'm naive but I never expected manufacturers to lower cost.

Size CAN be made smaller, however, and often is.
If you value small size then that's important, but the only one I'd consider based on size is the Fuji GFX100s, where an MF camera is only slightly bigger than an FF camera. That's brilliant. Making a camera smaller that is already the "right size" for ergonomic excellence is not a plus. If you like your DSLRs and don't particularly like the miniaturization of other systems, the bigger size can be a plus.

It's the famous double edged sword.
Let's not pretend that it's something different.

For me, my least used cameras are the smaller ones, Q-S1 and Lumix ZS-100, which are mainly used in situations where I don't want to carry any camera but I'll take one in my pocket, just in case. My most used for everything but wildlife these days is my K-1. I would seem to have little use for smaller, more fidgety cameras.

Last edited by normhead; 09-09-2021 at 08:12 AM.
09-09-2021, 06:29 AM   #150
Site Supporter

Make the DFA 24-105 f/4 into a DFA 24-135 f/4 and I'll buy it. Also, 600mm... my wallet says no but my mind says yes (depending on price)