Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 171 Likes Search this Thread
09-15-2021, 11:41 AM   #271
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Yes.
I wouldn't expect a FF 645 under 20k, and that's being quite optimistic.
Who would buy that? To justify that kind of price they'll have to massively surpass the Fuji offerings. Not just larger sensor, but everything is going to have to be unbelievable. Smaller, better resolution, bigger sensor, innovative new features. It's four times as expensive.

I'm quite interested to see if Pentax really introduces a new 645 of any kind, because it seems like they're not even in the running right now.

09-15-2021, 12:13 PM   #272
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Phase One is also doing their XT series compact medium format camera. I'm sure there are still studio folks around that shoot large medium format cameras but the market has to be shrinking?
09-15-2021, 12:15 PM   #273
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Ricoh Medium Format MILC + adapter for Pentax 645/67 glass.
09-15-2021, 12:15 PM   #274
Pentaxian

Even thou 645 FF does sound thrilling, new 645Z with optimised size(not much smaller)while keeping praised handling of older gen cameras, but with clear crisp OVF, and reliable focus with eye AF, as well as updated accelerator chip to get accurate colour and deep DR and all other goodies, and other accelerators to get performance up AND 100 MP crop sensor and full motoriced mirror, like K-3III but bigger and better to minimise slap, Perhaps with ibis and maybe with 4K(just to keep up with offerings). With 10000€ price.

Yes, it is more expensive that 100S is, but still quite good and you’ll get plenty for your money. And Ricoh won’t have to do 28-45 and other crop lenses from the scratch…that said, they would have old lenses to be redone, but Perhaps they want to go forward.

09-15-2021, 01:13 PM   #275
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Fuji has eaten their lunch regarding medium format.
I think this might be a popular perception, but is there any data that shows how many medium-format camera units Fujifilm has sold and what the present sales rate is? Compared to Pentax?

That would be an interesting comparison.

- Craig
09-15-2021, 01:25 PM   #276
dbs
Pentaxian

The cheap and cheerful boat has sailed .... but like for like Pentax is still cheaper than the opposition ( in Oz anyway )
09-15-2021, 01:47 PM   #277
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I think this might be a popular perception, but is there any data that shows how many medium-format camera units Fujifilm has sold and what the present sales rate is? Compared to Pentax?

- Craig
I'm just looking at it from a tech perspective. Look at medium format forums on other websites and compare how often one brand is mentioned compared to the other. That might not give an indication of sales, but it sure would give an indication of splash.

09-15-2021, 04:23 PM   #278
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax is like a Bushmills malt, infrequently mentioned in whiskey circles as they've been forgotten about, but look up a review of a 16 or 21 and they have the ability to punch above their weight and surprise A bit like the DFA*'s.
The 645Z ii might be equivalent to the Malaga 1995 Causeway edition. Limited, rare but very much worth it if you know what you're about.
09-15-2021, 05:07 PM   #279
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote

- Craig
On Flickr... GFX 100 9 users a day. 645D 2 users a day. 645z 1 user a day.
It sure looks like Pentax's lunch has been eaten. IBIS, which Pentax claims they can't do. 2.5x the resolution.

Please don't give me the famous "Flickr- blah blah blah." But if you have something better post it.
09-15-2021, 05:27 PM   #280
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm just looking at it from a tech perspective. Look at medium format forums on other websites and compare how often one brand is mentioned compared to the other. That might not give an indication of sales, but it sure would give an indication of splash.
My impression is about the same, from my limited perspective. Fuji cameras do seem to generate a higher level of buzz and "splash."

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Please don't give me the famous "Flickr- blah blah blah." But if you have something better post it.
Thanks for the Flickr numbers. I hadn't thought of looking there. Not sure what "Flickr - blah blah blah" means, but I don't have any sales data.

- Craig
09-15-2021, 05:27 PM   #281
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Pentax is like a Bushmills malt, infrequently mentioned in whiskey circles as they've been forgotten about, but look up a review of a 16 or 21 and they have the ability to punch above their weight and surprise A bit like the DFA*'s.
The 645Z ii might be equivalent to the Malaga 1995 Causeway edition. Limited, rare but very much worth it if you know what you're about.
I visited the Bushmill's distillery a few years back (and still have a bottle of their 12).
I am not a whiskey drinker as a rule (why yes, that tastes like a peaty, earthy variant of lighter fluid...), but I was really pleased with Bushmills.
I hope that doesn't put anyone off it

I'll also add their honey whiskey is a superb treatment for a sore throat or mild cough.
The honey whiskey I can get locally isn't nearly as tasty...

-Eric
09-15-2021, 06:51 PM - 3 Likes   #282

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
Please, elaborate more on this.
QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
I didn't get the impression that lemono tries to replace anyone. Also I don't think running a rumour mill is that great of a job :P asahiman left the forum for a reason...

Anyway, @lemono you put next 645 in "high credibility". Could you elaborate a bit on that?
Before the release of K3III, I mentioned the relevant information of the new 645.
The project started very early, and the develop progress was similar to that of K3III. The project was shelved for some internal reasons.
After the release of K3III, it was started again and the release time was determined.
Based on the current information, I personally think that the release sequence of Pentax should be similar to that of the previous generation in the next few years (K3-645Z-K1-K70).
If you want to ask for information about the new 645, it is targeted at GFX100 (not GFX100s). I mean performance and price.

Incidentally, the news so far is that the new machine will not be named 645Z MarkII, very interesting.
Of course, just a tentative name before the official release, Maybe change.
09-15-2021, 10:03 PM - 1 Like   #283
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Is it inconceivable that an FF 645 can be sold in 2022/23 at the same price as a 645D 10 years ago?
There are a few things that you would have to consider

A true 645 has the surface area of 27cm2 while the cropped 645 as the area of 14.52cm2 so the surface area is nearly twice as large (1.86 times)

When you compare the difference in between FF and a cropped 645 the area is FF is 8.62cm2 and the cropped 645 is 14.57cm2 1.69 times larger.
So there is a larger jump going from cropped 645 than there is from FF to cropped 645 and you already know how much more a cropped 645 cost $$$ is over a FF camera, adding to the fact that the sensor will be more of a specialty item with small batch's and the FF sensor was off the shelf model that had at least 4 different camera manufactures using the same sensor over 8 + year it had a rather large production run.
09-15-2021, 10:40 PM - 1 Like   #284
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
On Flickr... GFX 100 9 users a day. 645D 2 users a day. 645z 1 user a day.
It sure looks like Pentax's lunch has been eaten. IBIS, which Pentax claims they can't do. 2.5x the resolution.

The numbers are so low it almost doesn't matter as you can't even make a statistical ballpark guess. All those numbers say is that Fuji is maybe more hip with those who use Flickr.
Pentax's 645 offering has been on the market substantially longer, it's difficult/impossible to say which has more prominent marketshare overall.

Not that it actually matters I'm sure; if Ricoh honestly felt there was a substantial enough market to get the big margins out of the pros for medium format they'd be putting more into it. It doesn't matter much if Fuji is eating their lunch if the mayo on it is expired.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 09-15-2021 at 10:45 PM.
09-15-2021, 11:48 PM   #285
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I keep telling myself that when I go to bars to hook up with 20 year old girls.So far it isn't working very well. It seemed so much easier 40 years ago.
A business isn't the same as a people. Can't stop aging in people, at least until now. A business can be completely turned around by investing in it, it's a matter of leadership.