Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2021, 08:06 AM - 5 Likes   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Thwyllo Quote
I'm just curious to know why anyone would spend their hard earned cash on such an overpriced compact when, as just one example, the comparison sites rate it lower than the four year older Sony A5100 (a camera I have in my collection and love) which, as well as having a tilt screen AND a zoom lens, is close to half the price? What am I missing?
Everything it seems.

10-04-2021, 08:17 AM   #107
Pentaxian

What am I missing?
Everything! You're doing the equivalent of evaluating a restaurant base on portion size. Or comparing a hammer to a multi tool and concluding that the multi tool is better value for money. It's not when you're putting up siding.

The GR line is for people who view zoom and tilt screen a negative. Or rather they are negatives if implemented in the way the world has seen so far.
10-04-2021, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm just curious to know why anyone would spend their hard earned cash on such an overpriced compact when, as just one example, the comparison sites rate it lower than the four year older Sony A5100 (a camera I have in my collection and love) which, as well as having a tilt screen AND a zoom lens, is close to half the price? What am I missing?
Looking in my crystal ball, a pocket large enough to fit the A5100!
10-04-2021, 09:23 AM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Comparison sites"

The A5100 + the little zoom lens is twice as thick as the GR IIIx.

Would you compare a little 2-seat coupe with a 4-door sedan?

Also, the A5100 was introduced in 2014, so it is 7 years older, not 4.

10-04-2021, 09:25 AM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
"Comparison sites"

The A5100 + the little zoom lens is twice as thick as the GR IIIx.

Would you compare a little 2-seat coupe with a 4-door sedan?

Also, the A5100 was introduced in 2014, so it is 7 years older, not 4.
To be fair, save for the lens, the GRIIIx is a GRIII so the internals could be considered to be a touch older. Not that it changes anything in this particular case...
10-04-2021, 09:31 AM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
To be fair, save for the lens, the GRIIIx is a GRIII so the internals could be considered to be a touch older. Not that it changes anything in this particular case...
Fair point.
10-05-2021, 12:34 AM   #112

Looking in my crystal ball, a pocket large enough to fit the A5100!
I have frequently pocketed the A5100 with no problem....

---------- Post added 10-05-21 at 12:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Everything! You're doing the equivalent of evaluating a restaurant base on portion size. Or comparing a hammer to a multi tool and concluding that the multi tool is better value for money. It's not when you're putting up siding.

The GR line is for people who view zoom and tilt screen a negative. Or rather they are negatives if implemented in the way the world has seen so far.
Well while I sit and try and work out why a tilt screen would ever be a negative, let's consider value for money...

Bottom line is the A5100 (and it's just an example I stress again, it's not alone by a long chalk) is half the price for the same performance with more functionality (tilt screen and zoom lens). If Pentax wants to expand its market share in the compact sector I'm pretty sure a VERY expensive fixed lens camera using the same size APSC as everyone else isn't the way to do it.

10-05-2021, 01:52 AM - 1 Like   #113
Pentaxian

---------- Post added 10-05-21 at 12:40 AM ----------

Well while I sit and try and work out why a tilt screen would ever be a negative, let's consider value for money...

Bottom line is the A5100 (and it's just an example I stress again, it's not alone by a long chalk) is half the price for the same performance with more functionality (tilt screen and zoom lens). If Pentax wants to expand its market share in the compact sector I'm pretty sure a VERY expensive fixed lens camera using the same size APSC as everyone else isn't the way to do it.
So if you consider the restaurant or tool analogy:

If you aren't in need of a huge meal would you choose restaurant based on portion size or how tasty the food is?
If you're putting up siding and see that the multitool hammer thingy is priced the same as a proper hammer would you get the multitool hammer thing?

Features you don't need are anti-features, well exemplified by the image above. In this case there actuallly isn't any free lunch (in many others there is). Features cost in size, handling, performance or mental overhead. The GR wouldn't be improved by becoming a DSLR for instance. It would be a different camera suited for different things.

The GR with lens is the size of the A5100 without lens.

Last edited by house; 10-05-2021 at 01:57 AM.
10-05-2021, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I want to know what kind of jeans and shirts you have...
10-05-2021, 04:38 AM   #115
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
So if you consider the restaurant or tool analogy:

If you aren't in need of a huge meal would you choose restaurant based on portion size or how tasty the food is?
If you're putting up siding and see that the multitool hammer thingy is priced the same as a proper hammer would you get the multitool hammer thing?

Features you don't need are anti-features, well exemplified by the image above. In this case there actuallly isn't any free lunch (in many others there is). Features cost in size, handling, performance or mental overhead. The GR wouldn't be improved by becoming a DSLR for instance. It would be a different camera suited for different things.

The GR with lens is the size of the A5100 without lens.
It would be very much improved by becoming a DSLR.
I might even purchase one - for the very reasons you cite.
I personally use a “Q” precisely because it is small, flexible and quiet.
I might purchase a GR if it were flexible, but even if I were to purchase both of them, they might not satisfy all situations I face within a few minutes of each other, so the space occupied by them would be wasted as far as I am concerned.
10-05-2021, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It would be very much improved by becoming a DSLR.
I might even purchase one - for the very reasons you cite.
I personally use a “Q” precisely because it is small, flexible and quiet.
I might purchase a GR if it were flexible, but even if I were to purchase both of them, they might not satisfy all situations I face within a few minutes of each other, so the space occupied by them would be wasted as far as I am concerned.
At that point it would be renamed K-70 and it would be a terrible pocket camera.
10-05-2021, 04:51 AM   #117
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

At that point it would be renamed K-70 and it would be a terrible pocket camera.
In retrospect, my particular wants could be met by turning it into a ILC.
It would still be much smaller than a K-70 …. it would be like an A5100, and it would be an incredibly useful one.
As it is, it is useable only for a small subset of tasks - for someone who can afford a whole toolbox of specialized tools.
10-05-2021, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In retrospect, my particular wants could be met by turning it into a ILC.
It would still be much smaller than a K-70 …. it would be like an A5100, and it would be an incredibly useful one.
As it is, it is useable only for a small subset of tasks - for someone who can afford a whole toolbox of specialized tools.
If it were to be like an A5100, it wouldn't be a DSLR, it would be a MILC. Without lenses, the only available ones would be K-mount and thus need a tube-type adapter, negating the size advantage on the body.

The GRiii is obviously a very specialized, minimalist tool.
It's also what sells best in Ricoh Imaging's portfolio . So clearly it's not too useless.
10-05-2021, 05:33 AM   #119
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

If it were to be like an A5100, it wouldn't be a DSLR, it would be a MILC. Without lenses, the only available ones would be K-mount and thus need a tube-type adapter, negating the size advantage on the body.

The GRiii is obviously a very specialized, minimalist tool.
It's also what sells best in Ricoh Imaging's portfolio . So clearly it's not too useless.
It would clearly make no sense without its own specialized Mount and several lenses,
but release of the ‘x’ version so close on the heels of the original version show its weaknesses.
I hope it sells well so it can finance the next Pentax camera, but my purchase of a Canon compact camera - which I used for nine months, then declared to be a “failure” - demonstrated to me that I personally have no use for such a ‘specialized tool’.

Last edited by reh321; 10-05-2021 at 05:40 AM.
10-05-2021, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would clearly make no sense without its own specialized Mount and several lenses,
but release of the ‘x’ version so close on the heels of the original version show its weaknesses.
I hope it sells well so it can finance the next Pentax camera, but my purchase of a Canon compact camera - which I used for nine months, then declared to be a “failure” - demonstrated to me that I personally have no use for such a ‘specialized tool’.
Two and a half years after the original is not "on the heels" of it, IMO.
Personally, I've gone to take photos around the city many, many times with only the FA43 mounted on the camera and it's liberating to have nothing but a compact fast prime in that range. To me the GRiiix is very, very appealing. And it's as good as it is precisely because it is specialized.